Usenet

Rab

Right guys, for the first time in more years than I care to mention, I'm looking at Usenet again.

Looking for some advice on:

1) Clients. I'm guessing Outlook Express is still not the way to go.

2) Servers. Free for now until I'm up and running. My ISP provides usenet access, not fussed if I use it or a different server.

3) Groups. Where to go for the good stuff :)

All advice appreciated.

Not used Usenet in a while but FreeAgent was always a good client.

Many ISPs provide a Usenet feed but don't carry the binary groups.... where the em... good stuff is to be found.

The free usenet servers can be inconsistent and unreliable in my admittedly some time ago experience.

Bit Torrent is an interesting protocol..... :)

Bit Torrent is an interesting protocol..... :)

Indeed it is :)

Unfortunately, I live in a fascist state, where ISP's block bittorrent traffic :mad:

Right guys, for the first time in more years than I care to mention, I'm looking at Usenet again.

Looking for some advice on:

1) Clients. I'm guessing Outlook Express is still not the way to go.

2) Servers. Free for now until I'm up and running. My ISP provides usenet access, not fussed if I use it or a different server.

3) Groups. Where to go for the good stuff :)

All advice appreciated.

1) forget OE there is much better programs out there these days. Newsleecher, GrabIt and Newsbinpro are 3 of the best and i have put them in order of my preference. Plenty of "free" version out there but IMO Newsleecher is well worth the annual fee.

2) Again loads out there but IMO Giganews is the best of the lot. Not the cheapest but again well worth it when you consider the money you save with the content you download.

3) There really is no definite answer to this as there is so many groups, Really depends on what your after. Listed a few of my favorites below, also Newsleecher has a good search service that is also worth paying for till you feel experienced enough to find your way around.

alt.binaries.boneless <------- great group for just about anything new.

alt.binaries.mulitmedia <------ Tv Shows etc.

alt.binaries.tv <------- as above.

alt.binaries.movies.xvid <------ films and more.

alt.binaries.dvdr <------ as above.

alt.binaries.games.xbox360

4) Bit Torrent is the gayest thing on the planet leave that to the hobos.

Archived