Prisoners to work on building sites

grumpyjambo

Sexton Hardcastle

They could help build there future..... a new prison.

Either that or he thinks all builders/labourers are criminals. I know there prices are. Boom boom.

I can see the reasoning behind such ideas. Evidence would suggest that such schemes (I dont mean cleaning graffiti off walls), can work to help offenders stay away from offending again. Prison doesnt rehabilitate unfortunately and sticking in minor crims with major ones, doesnt help reoffending rates.

I wouldnt have a major problem with it, depending on what the offence is. You never know, it may sort some of the wee neds by making them work for a change...

Miller Jambo 60
I can see the reasoning behind such ideas. Evidence would suggest that such schemes (I dont mean cleaning graffiti off walls), can work to help offenders stay away from offending again. Prison doesnt rehabilitate unfortunately and sticking in minor crims with major ones, doesnt help reoffending rates.

I wouldnt have a major problem with it, depending on what the offence is. You never know, it may sort some of the wee neds by making them work for a change...

Make them clean toilets and other majic jobs.

Why should they take jobs from the man on the street.

I think it is a great idea if done in the right places. I think a better idea would be to put them out in the fields for harvest/processing time. We hear how farms have to get workers in from abroad as nobody here wants to do the work. Well get the prisoners to do it. Pay them a very minor amount and everyone is a winner.

I don't think the building industry is going to be begging for workers in the next couple of years however. Shows just how much the SNP really know about economics. Just a few weeks ago their finance secretary stated that the Scottish housing market was 'bouyant'.... :eek:

So I would agree with the general jist of it - make prisoners work for their keep. However this idea is seriously flawed in the detail. No shock there....

I take you didnt read where it said they were to be put into jobs where there would be a shortage of workers then?:rolleyes:

I agree with CC. Put them into jobs where there are a distinct shortage or indeed the jobs that people cant be arsed to do but others such as migrant workers jump at.

Miller Jambo 60
I take you didnt read where it said they were to be put into jobs where there would be a shortage of workers then?:rolleyes:

I agree with CC. Put them into jobs where there are a distinct shortage or indeed the jobs that people cant be arsed to do but others such as migrant workers jump at.

Im with i8 on this one, why pander to the low life.

Me too, they can chuck in a couple hundred of the left wing lesbian PC Brigade while they are at it - much cheaper for the tax payer to get rid of full stop!

If they're going to "give" the jobs to anyone i'd rather it was the homeless or someone who's struggling to find any work. Don't see any sense in rewarding someone for breaking the law by giving them a job.

If they're going to "give" the jobs to anyone i'd rather it was the homeless or someone who's struggling to find any work. Don't see any sense in rewarding someone for breaking the law by giving them a job.

Anyone who can't get one of the jobs in question above, is not 'struggling for work' in the first place. IMO.

Give the cons jopbs that nobody else wants to do but this country needs done. Pay them a pittance for it.

Everyone is a winner as far as I see.

Anyone who can't get one of the jobs in question above, is not 'struggling for work' in the first place. IMO.

Give the cons jopbs that nobody else wants to do but this country needs done. Pay them a pittance for it.

Everyone is a winner as far as I see.

yes, lets create chain gangs!

Get them working on the roads and railways.

They need sorting and they need hard labour.

That's what Hitler did. Emptied the prisons and forced them to build the Autobahns at gunpoint.

Seconded.

eddie fenwick
got to argree with the old mud slinger here, why building sites?

its because people outwith the trade think we are all thick and anyone could do what we do

why the building trade?why not offices,banks ect?

As the report says, its because there is a shortage there. Last time I checked there isnt much of a shortage of people who work in offices and banks.

As the report says, its because there is a shortage there. Last time I checked there isnt much of a shortage of people who work in offices and banks.

so they fill up building sites with unskilled and untrained people then, do folk just think you can turn up on a site and know what your doing.

If you looked at the amount of people trying to gain an apprenticeship you will find there is no shortage of skilled labour, we move jobs for better pay and conditions

eddie fenwick

there aint a shortage right now,just ask major housebuilders

so they fill up building sites with unskilled and untrained people then, do folk just think you can turn up on a site and know what your doing.

If you looked at the amount of people trying to gain an apprenticeship you will find there is no shortage of skilled labour, we move jobs for better pay and conditions

Thats not we (as in CC and I!) are saying at all. And just because they are criminals does not necessarily mean that they lack the training or skills either.

Im not for recommending all offenders go down this route but to put in them in all areas where there are shortages, building or otherwise.

Most employers will be compensated by the government for taking such people on, including training.

eddie fenwick
Thats not we (as in CC and I!) are saying at all. And just because they are criminals does not necessarily mean that they lack the training or skills either.

Im not for recommending all offenders go down this route but to put in them in all areas where there are shortages, building or otherwise.

Most employers will be compensated by the government for taking such people on, including training.

looking at it from an employers point of view theres no chance id take on anyone whos been inside,its not as if i could trust them to go into someones house and do a job,sorry but theres to much to lose taking on an ex con

looking at it from an employers point of view theres no chance id take on anyone whos been inside,its not as if i could trust them to go into someones house and do a job,sorry but theres to much to lose taking on an ex con

I understand that point. But I dont think the likes of thieves, murderers and rapists will be getting the chance to involve themselves in such schemes. I wouldnt be keen on taking on certain offenders either. It really depends on the scale of the crime and what it was for ie minor offences rather than major ones.

Miller Jambo 60
I understand that point. But I dont think the likes of thieves, murderers and rapists will be getting the chance to involve themselves in such schemes. I wouldnt be keen on taking on certain offenders either. It really depends on the scale of the crime and what it was for ie minor offences rather than major ones.

Dont know theres a job in my mother in laws going.

Good rates:eek:

eddie fenwick

yeah i understand that but they are in there for a reason,dishonesty and for that alone i wouldnt give them a chance at my and my employees expence

Put the jailbirds in Holyrood why let them mix with others most of them deserve a stretch inside at holyrood.Imagine going home telling the family you have been paid off for they are taking on a nonce to give him a chance to rehabilatate.

Get them out cleaning the streets, picking up all the **** thats lying around. Also agree with CC about put them in the fields at harvesting time.

Anyone with their basic faculties can work doing the most basic jobs on a farm or a building site and pick it up very quickly - matter of hours.

Many of those who are prison may well have difficulty with basic computer skills and so it would take far more training to get them to do a basic job - matter of days.

This is nothing to do with what sort of job is harder. This is to do with taking advantage of where they would be easiest to utilise for their skills. Picking fruit would seem the perfect sort of thing.

PS - You workies do seem to have a chip on your shoulder when it comes to your jobs. Most people realise your work takes a great deal of skill. Get over it. ;)

Get them out cleaning the streets, picking up all the **** thats lying around. Also agree with CC about put them in the fields at harvesting time.

Absolutely,but why pay them?

It's prison they're in not a fecking YTS sceme.Make them work for sod all other than their right to visits etc.

Never happen though because these erses have more human rights than the victims of their crimes.

Doctor FinnBarr
yes, lets create chain gangs!

I think you'd find the Human Rights mob including a Ms C. Blair would be rubbing their hands in delight as the ? signs went round in their eyes!

:eek:

I think it is a great idea to get **** working......but also top help with prison overcrowding we need "prision ships" - give them no visitors,no route for drugs to get into prison - tag and ball chain them - get tough with **** and Low Life.

I think it is a great idea to get **** working......but also top help with prison overcrowding we need "prision ships" - give them no visitors,no route for drugs to get into prison - tag and ball chain them - get tough with **** and Low Life.

We could then float them off in the direction of antartica to colonise the continent for expansion of the Empire.

Have to say I thought one of Uncle Joe's better ideas was the Gulag...

BBK_poster.jpg

'Canal Army soldier! The heat of your work will melt your prison term!'

Why not sentance criminals to 3 years in the Army?

Kick their arses all the way through training then send them to the front in Afghanistan to get blown up.

Result.

Are they taking jobs from the man on the street if there is a big shortage of locally skilled builders and young apprentices ?

Why shouldn't low risk offenders be given a chance. Get them cleaning toilets too. Get them involved with society, don't ostracise them. So once they have served their time they have an opportunity to give something back to society. Hopefully it would reduce the chances of them reoffending.

Why, indeed? However, I'd be interested to know how one "takes" a job that said "man on the street" does not have - apparently as he either:

-Has alternative, preferable employment

-Is incapacitated

-Lacks the necessary skills

-Simply chooses to remain unemployed.

It's prison they're in not a fecking YTS sceme.Make them work for sod all other than their right to visits etc.

Never happen though because these erses have more human rights than the victims of their crimes.

Agreed Jackie, i wouldn't pay them either, i'd have them do it as part of their sentence. Surely they should contribute something for their playstations, portable tv's etc in their cells.

The way I see this is that criminals won't be in Prison one day and operating a crane the next. It will be very basic jobs and those which there is a shortage/no one wants to do.

Studies have shown that putting 'petty' criminals into work schemes do work. When I say petty, I mean petty. We won't have rapists and murders building the athletes village in Glasgow. This will not rehibillitate but give those criminals a chance to gain skills that will help them once they leave prison.

I do agree with this on paper but I'm interested in how it's all actually going to work - if there is non-criminals shouting out for jobs then they should get first pick.

I do agree with this on paper but I'm interested in how it's all actually going to work - if there is non-criminals shouting out for jobs then they should get first pick.

What a superb (unintentional?) pun!

"Rock" on Toggie!! :P

The way I see this is that criminals won't be in Prison one day and operating a crane the next. It will be very basic jobs and those which there is a shortage/no one wants to do.

Studies have shown that putting 'petty' criminals into work schemes do work. When I say petty, I mean petty. We won't have rapists and murders building the athletes village in Glasgow. This will not rehibillitate but give those criminals a chance to gain skills that will help them once they leave prison.

Indeed. Totally agree. People picking and sorting fruit. Lumping waste out of old buildings etc..

What do you reckon about the general'building site' angle though (Even though I have used one as an example above) ?

I don't think it is looking like this industry will be having a shortage of workers in the next few years. Who knows but I think for this sort of scheme they should be concentrating on industries that have a shortage of workers for basic labour year after year. Based on that the farming industry would seem to stand out ?

Any farmer type people out there with a view ?

Also for the builders out there - do the big sites have trouble getting young lads in to do basic labour ? Not talking about apprenticeships here or anything with skills.

Cheers

Indeed. Totally agree. People picking and sorting fruit. Lumping waste out of old buildings etc..

What do you reckon about the general'building site' angle though (Even though I have used one as an example above) ?

I don't think it is looking like this industry will be having a shortage of workers in the next few years. Who knows but I think for this sort of scheme they should be concentrating on industries that have a shortage of workers for basic labour year after year. Based on that the farming industry would seem to stand out ?

Any farmer type people out there with a view ?

Also for the builders out there - do the big sites have trouble getting young lads in to do basic labour ? Not talking about apprenticeships here or anything with skills.

Cheers

There are very few labourers actually employed in the industry now as most sites will only have one or two on site with most sub contractors bringing on labourers when required.

I am intrigued how the Government will get around Health and Safety issues and the new Building Regulations with the prisoners, who will pay for the training and their time? How will the system work on a day to day basis when we are racing to get a project finished on time? How will prisoners be allocated? Will we pay the going rate for them?

There are very few labourers actually employed in the industry now as most sites will only have one or two on site with most sub contractors bringing on labourers when required.

true, most sub contractors have their own labourers, whilst the main contractor has a few themselves for general duties.

anyway who says the prisoners would want to work anyway, they will be too busy on their playstations and watching sky tv (at our expense)

pretty sure theres plenty BASIC jobs in banks and offices

We should follow the American example of "Chain Gangs" and have them worked hard in the public gaze.

Unfortunately with this useless government in charge it's yet more softly, softly, lefts not upset the poor criminals policies.

Heard it all now employing them on building sites - no doubt at the expense of hardworking people, who have never been in trouble.

I agree. It costs the tax payer on average ?900/week to keep them locked up :mad:

Archived