Classic match - Hibs 1 v 4 Hearts

Swanny17

I can remember this game, it was the first game shown live on SKY (BSkyB) with a young Andy Gray commentating.

What a game, what a result with Mackay scoring at both ends.

I can remember it like it was yesterday!

Story here.

I can remember this game, it was the first game shown live on SKY (BSkyB) with a young Andy Gray commentating.

Story here.

I remember sitting in their old wing stand, the atmosphere was brill, singing some of the golden oldie song's, and what a team!

They were the day's

I remember sitting in their old wing stand, the atmosphere was brill, singing some of the golden oldie song's, and what a team!

They were the day's

My recollection also was sitting in the wing stand - the only time at Fester Road I wasn't in the terracing!!!

Was it a miserable wet night???

I got thrown out of Easter Road that night. Got a ticket in their Main Stand, was doing ok after first and second. Completely forgot where I was when the third went in and some Hibby twatted me one. After a bit of handbags 2 coppers got a hold of me and led me down the stairs and let me out of the front door. One of the coppers said Happy New Year mate and ****ed himself laughing, and said try and remember where you are the next time ya dafty. Sent me on my way and said I had made his New Year as I had managed to toe said Hibby in the nuts and he went down like a sack of spuds.

Missed the 4th goal.

Was on the terracing in the South Stand that day.

Think the game was televised on Sky because I don't think it was a sell-out.

Nearly lost my footing a few times celebrating.

Craig Levein's goal was a peach.

Story here.

not sure about this beeing the first sky bsb game as i thought that was v dundee near the end of a season but i remember it well, went round to my brother in laws to watch it as i didnt have sky at the time, was told by the wife to behave as there was young kids about, lasted about 5 seconds before i started screaming abuse at the telly but ended up running round his settee celebrating, didnt think i would get invited back to watch a game for a while but as he was a football fan too (well aberdeen) he understood my reactions.

Gary Mackay's OG was Hibs' 10th league goal of the season in their 20th match and their 6th at Easter Road in their 11th home game. As we'd won the previous ER Derby 3-0 we'd scored more goals there in the league than they had. OG was their joint top scorer on 2, along with Keith Wright. The other OG was scored by none other than George Burley of Motherwell.

At the match I thought that there was a chance of 8 when the 4th went in. Their heads dropped when we came back so soon after the OG, they had 10 men and we had our shooting boots on. Sadly, it wasn't to be.

Story here.

I was sure the first live game on Sky was a derby at Tynie which finished 1-1, think Iain Ferguson scored for us.

I was there - also in the wing stand funnily enough. Used to always get tickets for there - atmosphere was fantastic!

There was a poor crowd there that night - Dunbar End a lot more sparse than normal...combination of game being on TV, high prices and horrendous weather I seem to remember.

Wasn't it the case that after this game, Hearts had scored more goals at ER than Hibs had at that point in the season?

Story here.

Was it this game that the Hibs fans knocked down the fence and advertising boards down near the corner flag in their rage??

lost in leith

Main memory of that game was singing "You've lost that loving feeling" (number 1 at the time IIRC) at the Hibbys as they started leaving early :)

Was it this game that the Hibs fans knocked down the fence and advertising boards down near the corner flag in their rage??

Don't think so.

They invaded the pitch to try and attack Robbo when we gubbed them 3-0, with Sandy Clark as caretaker manager, and I think they have had other incidents there.

It was honking it doon that night. I was in the old stand. Remember spilling a pint of Special over myself in the Jenny Ha's boozer BEFORE the game...ah the memories.

Goldstone Wonder

Story here.

Fantastic night but, from a pedantic point of view, was it not BSB (British Satellite Broadcasting) who had the squarials and the rights to Scottish fitba before Sky merged with them later that year or the year after?

I remember going round to Interista's former flat on South Bridge to watch a game at Paisley v St Mirren around about that time as he had a squarial.

I seem to remember that this was yet another game where we let them off lightly at 4-1.

Goldstone Wonder

that was the September after Wallace's attempted merger in 1990, as I recall.

Fantastic night but, from a pedantic point of view, was it not BSB (British Satellite Broadcasting) who had the squarials and the rights to Scottish fitba before Sky merged with them later that year or the year after?

Possibly mate, but Martin Tyler and Andy Gray were the commentators, and it was definitely their 1st live match.

Cracking volley (left footed if I recall) by Levein. Those were the days....

:107years:

Yes it was tipping it down that night.

Tremendous left foot shot from Levein for his goal. And I was right in line with Tosh's goal. At the time I thought that ugly Willie Miller had dummied the ball back to Goram, but really he was megged by Tosh. Gary Mackay had a fantastic game that night.

wheatfield to sheffield

Am I right in remembering that our scorers were McKinlay, Levein, Mackay, McPherson, wearing numbers 3-4-5-6?

Archived