The " weegia" attack on King George!!!!

Walter Bishop

Walter Bishop

WTF??

The papers today are giving Burley a roasting!! Bill "Im a saints fan" Leckie has an open letter to him virtualy saying you have to go if we dont win on wednesday!! Would this be the same if Sir Walter was still in charge???

I think its a disgrace the way managers and ex footballers are treated by our press unless of course they are ex-old firm or hail from the cesspit that is Glasgow!!

WTF??

The papers today are giving Burley a roasting!! Bill "Im a saints fan" Leckie has an open letter to him virtualy saying you have to go if we dont win on wednesday!! Would this be the same if Sir Walter was still in charge???

I think its a disgrace the way managers and ex footballers are treated by our press unless of course they are ex-old firm or hail from the cesspit that is Glasgow!!

There is no way on earth Mark McGhee would be waking up to these headlines.

There is no way on earth Mark McGhee would be waking up to these headlines.

I think he would.basically anyone who took the job was onto a hiding to nothing.I think it is also one of the reasons both McLeish and Walter got out as they knew it would never last.

to be fair he has yet to win a game and any mngr of the scotland team would be getting a roasting just now....after all we are meant to be on the up.

but some of the comparisons to berti are way off the mark!!

to be fair he has yet to win a game and any mngr of the scotland team would be getting a roasting just now....after all we are meant to be on the up.

but some of the comparisons to berti are way off the mark!!

Pretty ignorant as well when you consider that Macedonia have beaten Holland and drew with England twice in recent years.

ToadKiller Dog

I think the paper media are more out to get Gordon Smith via Burley ,at this moment Burley is the easiest route to do that.

As for Scotland expectations need dropped we are like the majority of teams in all the groups a middling side whos realistic aim is a shot at 2nd and a playoff.

WTF??

Was there any negative press when Smith and McCoist or Mcleish and Aitken walked out on the national team? (genuine question, I live in engerlind and the press down here are obsessed with foreign coaches and formations)

If not then, BACK OFF!!! Let GB get on with it.

Macedonia was always gonna be a tough match given the conditions etc. and the fact that they are no mugs (just ask engerlind).

There is also the whole thing about the SFA having to cut costs on expenses etc. so the squad couldn't travel out to Macedonia earlier which would have allowed the players time to acclimatise.

I think the wee man could well be made a scapegoat for what is a very poorly run administration.

Gordon Smith GTF!!!!!

Gordon Smith has hardly backed his man either.Before the game at the weekend i seen an interview with Smith and he was asked about Burley and he said something like "well like everything else it will depend on results"

Was there any negative press when Smith and McCoist or Mcleish and Aitken walked out on the national team? (genuine question, I live in engerlind and the press down here are obsessed with foreign coaches and formations)

If not then, BACK OFF!!! Let GB get on with it.

Macedonia was always gonna be a tough match given the conditions etc. and the fact that they are no mugs (just ask engerlind).

There is also the whole thing about the SFA having to cut costs on expenses etc. so the squad couldn't travel out to Macedonia earlier which would have allowed the players time to acclimatise.

I think the wee man could well be made a scapegoat for what is a very poorly run administration.

Gordon Smith GTF!!!!!

Your joking one lot left to the mighty Hun and the other was bettering his career.Shows you how much the media belittle the Scotland job.

Cut costs they just made ?64m profit last year.

Your joking one lot left to the mighty Hun and the other was bettering his career.Shows you how much the media belittle the Scotland job.

Cut costs they just made ?64m profit last year.

That'll have paid for "the suits" to travel then.:rolleyes:

Nelly Terraces

Got to be honest and say, if Scotland lose on Wednesday, then Burley should resign straight away as that will be the qualifying campaign all but over in 4 days, and seriously, can anyone see Burley lifting the team after that kind of start - nah, no chance. He will be a busted flush and have zero credibility.

Surprised to hear the GFA made 64million profit last year VV. Where'd you see/hear that mate?

gorgie rd eh11

Shouldn't the media be having a go at the players who are making noises about not playing for Scotland? Or,because they are likely to be rantic players, are they going to do their usual and back the poor wee players who are in the huff because they're not playing, or got shouted at, or don't like the food or training etc.

Davie Weir should never have been allowed anywhere near a Scotland shirt after his "retirement" and anybody who has any doubts about whether they want to play for Burley should be emptied immediately.

But expect the media to be their usual self and go for the soft target, Burley.

The People's Chimp
Shouldn't the media be having a go at the players who are making noises about not playing for Scotland? Or,because they are likely to be rantic players, are they going to do their usual and back the poor wee players who are in the huff because they're not playing, or got shouted at, or don't like the food or training etc.

Davie Weir should never have been allowed anywhere near a Scotland shirt after his "retirement" and anybody who has any doubts about whether they want to play for Burley should be emptied immediately.

But expect the media to be their usual self and go for the soft target, Burley.

rangers call offs should be the real target.

mind you, kenny miller should GTF.

jack D and coke

I'm kind of shocked how quickly the knives are out for burley. That f***** bawbag keith jackson has to be the worst. I cant quite put into words how much i'd like to stamp on his face.

I'm kind of shocked how quickly the knives are out for burley. That f***** bawbag keith jackson has to be the worst. I cant quite put into words how much i'd like to stamp on his face.

How is it surprising.He has made a poor start.Still agree with you Jackson quote.:)

Leckie is a fud, we played sheite against pretty much everyone in the euro qualifying but because we had a couple rangersesque performances against france thats all the weegia remember

Leckie is a fud, we played sheite against pretty much everyone in the euro qualifying but because we had a couple rangersesque performances against france thats all the weegia remember

I personally dont follow Scotland very much in the international scene mainly due Scotland matches being amongst the most dreadfully boring matches I have ever witnessed whilst I was a youth.

McLeish and Wattie got some farily decent results against France that have built up peoples expectations to a ludicrous level. We played very well against france but it both results were a result of Rangersesque performances. Defend very well and take the one chance you get. When we got our group for the WC most folk were pretty much sure it would be a case of turn up and get 2nd.

A conversation I had with some Tartan Army twit full kilt on and see you jimmy hat :frown:) in the boozer on saturday summed it up. He was banging on about how we should be tearing up 'wee' teams like Macedonia. I pointed out they had a very good serie A striker, had drawn with England twice and drawn with Croatia and Holland recently. his reply was that they were 'still a wee team tho, unlike scotland'. Its fuds like this that mean Burley will be under pressure. Scotland need to realise where they stand in terms of world football, and it certainly isnt 16th.

Positive Scotland news in the ****** today though - McCulloch doesn't want to play for Scotland anymore.

Thank god for that.

Now all we need is for Davie Weir & Graham Alexander to follow his lead.

I think we lost because a guy took a dive to win his side a free kick within shooting range and the ref's inability to spot not one, but two genuine fouls on our players inside the box in the 2nd half. These things are outwith Burley's control.

I don't think anyone could deny how poor we looked in the 1st half but I thought the 2nd half performance may have yielded at least a point.

I'm more interested in the fact that the press and the SFA (Smith in particular) are not out to get the Macedonian done in the same way as they stitched up Miko for winning a penalty which led to a goal that ultimately didn't matter a jot.

As for Scotland managers I still think that Walter Smith's tactics/performance against Belarus at Hampden is the worst I've ever seen from a Scotland team in a competitive match. It just shows that the OP is right that the former Old Firm guys can expect a much easier ride as too much criticism might alienate the fifty or so fans from each side that actually care about Scotland!

Positive Scotland news in the ****** today though - McCulloch doesn't want to play for Scotland anymore.

Thank god for that.

Now all we need is for Davie Weir & Graham Alexander to follow his lead.

McCulloch won't feature much for Rangers this season, never mind Scotland and he knows it. What a tool!

Spitonastranger
I think he would.basically anyone who took the job was onto a hiding to nothing.I think it is also one of the reasons both McLeish and Walter got out as they knew it would never last.

walter and goldmember got out for money, and not a negative word in the press:mad:

walter and goldmember got out for money, and not a negative word in the press:mad:

He's doing a lousy job so far.

I think he's been unlucky with injuries (no Ferguson or Hutton) but the team were gutless and disorganised on Saturday. I also felt that he left Kenny Miller on for way too long. The guy was never involved in the game so why give him so long?

I had a bad feeling from the off about Burley being the Scotland manager and i honestly don't see things improving.

If we lose again on Wednesday, i think he'll be under massive pressure to go.

As for Scotland managers I still think that Walter Smith's tactics/performance against Belarus at Hampden is the worst I've ever seen from a Scotland team in a competitive match.

That was a terrible day.

There were a few others under Berti Vogts that were easily as bad as that though. The 1-0 home defeat to Norway when McFadden got sent off and the 4-0 away defeat to Wales were bad too.

We need to recognise that Scotland are a **** poor side. The first half performance was on a par with a SFL 2nd division side on an off day and the second half was only slightly better.

GB is in control - he picks them (Graham Alexander! . . ) and chooses the formation. Sure he can't make them click but he must carry the can when it all ends in tears :(

A MASSIVE improvement needed for Wednesday otherwise the only international to look forward to is the Ryder Cup.

WTF??

Weegies just can't take defeat but i do agree that Burley is not the man to take us forward.

He picks players becuase what colour of shirt they wear and not their ability.

The only possible reason I can see for him not picking Berra is to pee off Romanov.

Kirk Broadfoot FFS!!!

They seem to have given Craig Gordon 6 and Graham Alexander 7 out of 10. :eek:

There is something wrong with their numbers. They claim the average is 6.8 yet only two players got a 7 with most down at 5 or 6.

Gordon Smith has hardly backed his man either.Before the game at the weekend i seen an interview with Smith and he was asked about Burley and he said something like "well like everything else it will depend on results"

Gordon Smith is a total d*****d! Part of the SFA Mafia, Burley is only treated like that because of his connection to Romanov and Hearts! Incidentally, here's one for yiz, Will the press and/or SFA make a mountain out of a molehill about the Macedonian player that dived to earn his team the free kick that lead to the goal!!??? or do they just keep that for Hearts and Lithuanians in particular!? racist b*****ds!

I personally dont follow Scotland very much in the international scene mainly due Scotland matches being amongst the most dreadfully boring matches I have ever witnessed whilst I was a youth.

McLeish and Wattie got some farily decent results against France that have built up peoples expectations to a ludicrous level. We played very well against france but it both results were a result of Rangersesque performances. Defend very well and take the one chance you get. When we got our group for the WC most folk were pretty much sure it would be a case of turn up and get 2nd.

A conversation I had with some Tartan Army twit full kilt on and see you jimmy hat :frown:) in the boozer on saturday summed it up. He was banging on about how we should be tearing up 'wee' teams like Macedonia. I pointed out they had a very good serie A striker, had drawn with England twice and drawn with Croatia and Holland recently. his reply was that they were 'still a wee team tho, unlike scotland'. Its fuds like this that mean Burley will be under pressure. Scotland need to realise where they stand in terms of world football, and it certainly isnt 16th.

Agree with everything you've said there TB. I can't believe the levels of delusion before the Macedonia match. People were talking as if all we had to do was turn up. Unfortunately too many of the players didn't, but it seems the press want to lay the blame for that at GB's door.

You could maybe blame GB for picking Scott Brown when he's done hee-haw for Celtic, but if players like Caldwell etc fall asleep for the majority of the first half surely it's them who should be getting slated by the press.

Scotland's group was always going to be a hard one to get out of, I think a lot of the teams will take points off each other. We just have to make sure now that we do most of the taking.

They seem to have given Craig Gordon 6 and Graham Alexander 7 out of 10. :eek:

Noticed that too - FFS !:eek:

As for GB : after his short honeymoon at Hearts , wht did he do at Southampton ? Before Hearts , what did he achieve at Derby ?

Saturday was an embarrassing , disorganised shambles. Even though I agree with other posters that Macedonia are no mugs, we should have been better organised and prepared. But we fell far short.

I also agree with other posters that the Glasgow press are quick to go for GB's jugular considering the way Waldo and Eck walked away with barely a murmur from them then. Still , should we really expect anything else ?

Ultimately we did well against France and all that work was undone with a dismal performance in Georgia. Plus ca change.

No this one

From The Times

September 8, 2008

The knives are out but George Burley deserves a fair chance

Graham Spiers

There is already some quiet baiting of George Burley and I don't think it is going to go away. It may be unfair, given that he is five minutes in the door, but that's how it is. On the sports pages, as pathetic as it sounds, sometimes there is a rush to be the first to put the boot in, as if it is almost an affirmation of personal valour. Chasing a football manager can be a blood-sport and, as the Berti Vogts experience proved, it is often the biggest cowards who are at the front of the baying pack.

It always amazes me that, when it comes to people like David Taylor at the SFA, and then Vogts, and now Gordon Smith or Burley, the knives come swiftly out, yet someone like Sir David Murray, no matter what he gets wrong at Rangers, somehow remains immune from such scorn. Now why might this be?

Burley badly needs a win in Iceland on Wednesday night. To have two opening World Cup qualifiers and two defeats would be dreadful for Scotland and would only heap pressure on the manager and the team going into the home match against Norway at Hampden Park next month. In fact, defeat in Reykjavik on Wednesday would mean Burley could conceivably be less than six weeks away from the sack. That is how fraught and volatile football is.

Part of Burley's problem, beyond doubt, are his media relations. He is cautious to the point of being bland with the press, leaving the listener often asking the immortal question: "Is there much more of this?" Once you've heard the line about "players with passion and determination" once, you feel you've heard it 100 times. And the shuddering thought goes through your mind: is this how Burley gees up his troops?

But that line of inquiry, in the context of football management, is oversimplistic. Regardless of how bland and uninspiring he is to hacks, his track record in the game is good, and that cannot be taken away from him. The supporters of Heart of Midlothian in the heady autumn of 2006 were not the first to swoon before Burley. His roller-coaster ride at Ipswich Town between 1995 and 2002 contained many magical moments for the club's fans and amounted to a sustained period of excellence that won Burley the Premiership's manager of the year after taking his club to fifth in 2001.

The fact is, you cannot possibly be anything but a good football manager to achieve that kind of accolade.

Unless he does something spectacularly crass off the field, the Scotland manager will be judged by his competitive results, and that is right and proper. If he goes to Iceland ? ironically, much as the embattled Vogts did back in 2002 ? and pulls off a win it could be the spark that Scotland was looking for in their qualifying campaign.

And there are, apart from his track record in the game, signs that Burley knows what he wants from his teams.

He is strong on team shape and tactics. In Skopje at the weekend, as poor as Scotland played in the first half, they rallied in the second, partly because Burley made emphatic decisions, without the dithering and agonising that we've seen in other managers. His introductions of Kris Commons, Shaun Maloney and Kris Boyd were swift and sure, and with enough time to give Scotland a new shape and momentum. The Scots went down but at least there was evidence of a manager who clearly knew what he was doing in trying to retrieve the situation.

I have to admit, I've never been a huge Burley fan, but he is a man who deserves a fair chance. The SFA, to be blunt, has not made things easy for him by lining up two fraught away matches as the openers in the 2010 qualifying series: that merely increases the chances of two opening defeats and all the pressure that that would invite. As we like to put it in these pages, Burley will be staring down a barrel if his team don't beat Iceland in two days' time, and the hounds will be after him.

Strange as it might sound, I don't think it will come to that. I think Scotland will beat Iceland, and the bloodletting will be put on hold.

I especially like this paragraph

It always amazes me that, when it comes to people like David Taylor at the SFA, and then Vogts, and now Gordon Smith or Burley, the knives come swiftly out, yet someone like Sir David Murray, no matter what he gets wrong at Rangers, somehow remains immune from such scorn. Now why might this be?

2 Flukey results against France and a backs to the wall defending against Italy in the Euro 2008 qualifiers, and All of a Sudden Scotland have the right to beat ANYONE in the World!?

Personally i couldn't give a flying **** wether the GFA11 qualify for the World Cup or not...They won't!! But to lay ALL the Blame at Burleys door is ridiculous...He can only pesh with the Co(k he's got!!

5 Celtic players and Kenny Miller (When was his last decent game in a Scotland Jersey??)...Kirk Clubfoot in the squad and Uncle Craig giving a team talk, do you think this is all GB's idea's??? The GFA are as bad as Romanov, they have their say on team selection and everything else that goes on...You know it's true! :rolleyes:

Anyway, Prediction for Wedneday...Iceland 2-0 Scotland!! ;)

Rant Over!!

Seymour M Hersh
I think we lost because a guy took a dive to win his side a free kick within shooting range and the ref's inability to spot not one, but two genuine fouls on our players inside the box in the 2nd half. These things are outwith Burley's control.

I don't think anyone could deny how poor we looked in the 1st half but I thought the 2nd half performance may have yielded at least a point.

I'm more interested in the fact that the press and the SFA (Smith in particular) are not out to get the Macedonian done in the same way as they stitched up Miko for winning a penalty which led to a goal that ultimately didn't matter a jot.

As for Scotland managers I still think that Walter Smith's tactics/performance against Belarus at Hampden is the worst I've ever seen from a Scotland team in a competitive match. It just shows that the OP is right that the former Old Firm guys can expect a much easier ride as too much criticism might alienate the fifty or so fans from each side that actually care about Scotland!

The ref ignored two very good claims for fouls just before the one the goal came from. McManus lunged in a la Durwood Fletcher against Miko. Gave the ref an easy decision in real time. With the benefit of replays we all so there was no contact to speak of. Same with the 2nd pen claim imo. In real time that probably looked a fair tackle by the goalie but replays showed his foot, although in contact with the top of the ball, was taking the player out first. However the foul on Miller was pretty blatant. So no excuse for the ref there (well from me anyway).

It was a poor performance by Scotland on Saturday. Especially the first half. Who is to blame? Well it has to be shared really. Burley picked the team, but was it the right team? The players out on the pitch should have done enough to get at least a point but started off terribly. If Burley is brave enough he should make changes for the Iceland match. Far too many passengers on Saturday and that can not happen again. The only few that should maybe escape not being dropped are Gordon, Naysmith, Hartley, Robson, Commons and Faddy. C'mon Burley have some balls and change the team. It's your team now, not Smith's or McLeish's.

He's got a media who wanted either Souness (christ knows why, he's clueless) or Burns and got Burley. Since that day the knives have been out. He also disrupted the cosy old boys club in the team by dropping Weir, Dailly and McCulloch, all of whom are past it. Because of this there's a collective strop on from the Rangers players by all accounts. Burley should do the right thing and confront them about it. If they don't want to play for him, fine. Take the decision away from them and drop them. How many of them would really be missed? None of the first choice team should be from Rangers imo, with the possible exception of Barry Ferguson.

Time to nip this pathetic witchhunt in the bud and stand by his own decisions.

This entirely a media led campaign, and they are an absolute disgrace in my book.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
I especially like this paragraph

He's right about that, although I do get the impression that there's a bit of posturing going on between Spiers and certain other individuals in the scottish meeja who he thinks are too pro-Glasgow. That paragraph above reads like a direct dig at one or two specific people who know who they are.

As for Scotland managers I still think that Walter Smith's tactics/performance against Belarus at Hampden is the worst I've ever seen from a Scotland team in a competitive match.

Mcleish in Georgia was pretty dismal viewing - Would anyine have guessed we were the team that was in pole position in the group?

The "Red Top" journalist need a "hate" figure to vent their spleen on. Now that Csaba is at Tynecastle and the dealings with the press appear to be much more amicable, they've had to look elsewhere. Burleys record so far as manager has been pretty poor so he's now set him self up as their target. A poor result on Wednesday and they'll be going for him hell for leather. I've got the feeling that he's going to be out of the Hampden door sooner than later.

I've not got a lot of sympathy for Burley. Its clear that the team was told to go out and take things very slowly because of the heat - the concerns about the heat seem to have overshadowed the idea of actually winning the game.

As for his comment on the second half display being "outstanding" - what a joke! Lets hope there is a vast improvement on Wednesday as otherwise Burley could very soon find himself out of a job.

Colonel Kurtz

Believe me if Craig hadnt been MOTM on Saturday he would have been pilloried by the Weedgia.

Mogwli and his finger fed friends wanted Souness from day one,and also Macgregor as GK.

Tyupical Huns with their own agendas and to hell with Scotland

WTF??

The same Leckie and the same media who have shouted their disgust about us ditching him.

WTF??

Guaranteed no matter what Burley will be hounded out of the Scotland job as he has No connection with the Ugly sisters and they just cannot handle it over that end of the country.

They were Just waiting for saturday to happen and Shame on the lot of them!

Archived