The Black Pig

Doctor FinnBarr

Doctor FinnBarr

Can anybody remember this boozer in Fountainbridge? Its more a question for the bikers/rock fans amongst us. I loved the place, just having a wee throw back in my mind at the mo, just wondering if any of the regulars here frequented the place?

:)

Can anybody remember this boozer in Fountainbridge? Its more a question for the bikers/rock fans amongst us. I loved the place, just having a wee throw back in my mind at the mo, just wondering if any of the regulars here frequented the place?

Did Captain Pugwash drink there??

Jamie_the_Jambo

I remeber it. It was bought by WGS and turned posh. Was in it a couple of times as the black pig. Scary place at times.

Doctor FinnBarr
Did Captain Pugwash drink there??

When the owners bought it, it was meant to be a cartoon theme pub but the guys they brought in to manage the place convinced them that Edinburgh needed an out and out bikers pub, unlike the Southern which was more students with leathers!

:P

Doctor FinnBarr
I remeber it. It was bought by WGS and turned posh. Was in it a couple of times as the black pig. Scary place at times.

Naa, never scary, but maybe you had to be a biker to really appreciate the place!

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
Naa, never scary, but maybe you had to be a biker to really appreciate the place!

Do you have a pony tail?

Remember a female punk band gettin really ****ed off at us coz we pished ourselves laughin at them all the way through there set. Not really my scene but it was a good night.

Doctor FinnBarr
Remember a female punk band gettin really ****ed off at us coz we pished ourselves laughin at them all the way through there set. Not really my scene but it was a good night.

Don't remember any bands playing there but then again staying oot the toon I was only ever there at the weekends!

Doctor FinnBarr
Where exactly was it?

I'm crap with street names but it sat across from Fat Sams with its door right on the corner. Think it might be a Tally now!

BJ - I know where you mean. It is an Italian restaurant now, I think it used to be called the Market bar when I frequented it in the late 60s/early 70s.

I drove through Blackburn about 2 weeks ago but never saw you.

Doctor FinnBarr
BJ - I know where you mean. It is an Italian restaurant now, I think it used to be called the Market bar when I frequented it in the late 60s/early 70s.

I drove through Blackburn about 2 weeks ago but never saw you.

You can't drive thro pubs!

;)

It's now l'Amore D'italia, Italian restaurant that used to do Karaoke until the neighbours complained. Very popular with hen nights.

Was in it a few times when it was the Black Pig. Its two incarnations before that were Yesterdays (appalling purple and green wallpaper), and Staggers.

Showing my age?

Brian Whittaker's Tache

I went to a wedding reception in the Black Pig

The Bride was a stripper from the Western when i worked there

Doctor FinnBarr
Old biker pubs a bit closer to you.

Never frequent the Kaim park in its hey day?

Oh yes, in the Stables, and the Dreadnaught of course!

:eek:

Happy days!

Funniest moment was on a Sunday night after Gordo's quiz a group of born again christians came in with guitars and tamborines and tried to "lead us to the lord!"

They sung a nice wee song (they could actually harmonize) and we replied by giving them a fine if ever slightly out of tune version of Twisted ****** sister's "You're gonna burn in hell"!

It took ages (or felt like it) to convince them we were not going to be happy clappers and to get them to **** without violence!

Great when the police pulled up outside and nearly arrested them for being a public nuisance! (They had refused to leave other pubs when requested and the police had been called).

As 1 policeman said to them "It's after 11pm shouldn't good christians be in bed?"

Funny as anything.

Also a good night was the Sunday quiz the night after Diana and Dodi went for a wee drive. The team names were hilarious, and stuck the boot into the claptrap that was on the news that the "whole nation was in mourning".....

The guys that ran it then had a pub near the old Odeon called the Pioneer and then started The Blind Beggar down near Powderhall.

Nice guys and a bloody good laugh.

I was normally found sitting at the bar...quite often talking about Rush! You might know who I am from that!!!

I went to a wedding reception in the Black Pig

The Bride was a stripper from the Western when i worked there

You worked as a stripper in the Western bar :eek:

Doctor FinnBarr
Happy days!

Funniest moment was on a Sunday night after Gordo's quiz a group of born again christians came in with guitars and tamborines and tried to "lead us to the lord!"

They sung a nice wee song (they could actually harmonize) and we replied by giving them a fine if ever slightly out of tune version of Twisted ****** sister's "You're gonna burn in hell"!

It took ages (or felt like it) to convince them we were not going to be happy clappers and to get them to **** without violence!

Great when the police pulled up outside and nearly arrested them for being a public nuisance! (They had refused to leave other pubs when requested and the police had been called).

As 1 policeman said to them "It's after 11pm shouldn't good christians be in bed?"

Funny as anything.

Also a good night was the Sunday quiz the night after Diana and Dodi went for a wee drive. The team names were hilarious, and stuck the boot into the claptrap that was on the news that the "whole nation was in mourning".....

The guys that ran it then had a pub near the old Odeon called the Pioneer and then started The Blind Beggar down near Powderhall.

Nice guys and a bloody good laugh.

I was normally found sitting at the bar...quite often talking about Rush! You might know who I am from that!!!

We followed Jeff to the Pioneer then the Beggar until it got too expensive, don't recall anyone talking about Rush at the bar-was prob far too drunk with the amount of Pernod/Southern Comfort that I drank in those days!

Can remember the fire brigade raiding the place and not being too chuffed with the bike sitting on the shelf or Shuggie Schumachers bike leaning against the radiator because he was too drunk to take it home!

Biker jambo wrote...

"don't recall anyone talking about Rush at the bar".......

Most folks would call you the lucky one:).

You remember bike races round the bar?

You mentioned the Kaim Park earlier....I went there once, Marillion it was that I saw. Before the Square Heroes single came out if I remember right. I must get the zimmer frame out!

The Black Rose? They won't let me move my bed in! Miserable buggers...

Great pub. Good staff, good juke box and good beer. I wanna live there!

If you go in a lot I will probably have seen you around. I am in certainly most weekends.

I must know you by sight.

I am often next to the bar near Paul's throne.

May pm you to meet for a beer if we don't know each other....though I think we might.

Well "Geddy" aint my real name, and Harry may not be yours.

..........prob far too drunk with the amount of Pernod/Southern Comfort that I drank..........

That sir, is one hell of a cocktail ! :cheers:

Doctor FinnBarr
Too young for the Black Pig but have any of you Biker/rockers tried the Black Rose?

Never heard of it, where is it?

Doctor FinnBarr
That sir, is one hell of a cocktail ! :cheers:

Different nights for each, jeez, even I couldn't do both together!

:eek:

Never heard of it, where is it?

Was formerly the Saltire opposite the Filling station on Rose st, have a DJ on every friday with a 4 week cycle of metal/punk/goth/bit of everything! Also open mike on tuesdays and rock quiz followed by rock karaoke on wednesdays! 1st anniverary birthday party this sat with live band and the metal dj playing !

Archived