Antivirus XP 2008?

jack hmfc

portobellojambo1

If it is a IE7 problem, which is what I had with AntiVirus, I used this and it cleared the problem. The trojan got into my PC through Real Download

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/index.php?autocom=downloads&showfile=98

http://www.malwareteks.com/FixIEDef.php

It should list any infected files it has been forced to delete.

Run a Windows Update immmediately afterwards.

How do i get rid of this?

appreciate any help...

I got this yesterday!!! It was causing 2 problems.... The first forcing redirects on me while attempting any google searches. (analitic-checks)

The 2nd was the Antivirus 2009 popup.

The analitic-checks blocked any attempt trying to access any sites that had MALWAREBYTES for download.

What I had to do to get around this was download FLASHGET from here ...

http://www.flashget.com/en/download.htm

Start flashget and search for malwarebytes within flashget. This get around the bugger blocking the google searches. You will get the malwarebytes download from there.

Before you update the malwarebytes database, change the update server to the first one on the list. The default one gets blocked!

Run a FULL SCAN and at the end click remove. Reboot.

Hope this helps... Spent most of yesterday fixing this bugger.

Thanks for this everyone...

but im really not smart when it comes to computer stuff so could you explain the easiest way to do it/explain to an idiot!? lol sorry for the trouble but its doin ma head in!

Thanks for this everyone...

but im really not smart when it comes to computer stuff so could you explain the easiest way to do it/explain to an idiot!? lol sorry for the trouble but its doin ma head in!

Follow this link mate.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/malware-removal/antivirus-2008

scroll down and click on the link they tell you to...

I got it as well at work and the only site I had been on was here which I found strange.

Pain to get rid.

Funny enough, I was on here when I got it also! :eek:

Funny enough, I was on here when I got it also! :eek:

I wondered if it was a picture of some sort or a banner ad... not 100% sure how they work but I'm almost sure it came from here.

I wondered if it was a picture of some sort or a banner ad... not 100% sure how they work but I'm almost sure it came from here.

I never click on the banners/sponsors on here. The antivirus popup appeared when I clicked on a link to a BBC story IIRC.

I never click on the banners/sponsors on here. The antivirus popup appeared when I clicked on a link to a BBC story IIRC.

I dont click the banners either... not sure if a simple impression could be enough to get it.

Can any of the Admins confirm if it came from here?

I sometimes login to my work from home via my own laptop and I'm a wee bit concerned about this.

Guest GhostHunter

There is a virus checker on the board & server for uploads.

The only banners we run are Google Ads and the McCrae's - the latter of which is stored on our server.

I can only surmise that it's come from an email, a link to a malicious site or another site, but I will go and double check all recent attachments.

Guest GhostHunter

Can you point me to the thread mate ?

Was the destination actually a BBC page ?

Furthermore - http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2008-071613-4343-99&tabid=1

Symantec state that the application must be downloaded to the local PC, so I can only assume it come from a pop up on another site, or a link that is being directed.

*** At the bottom left of the screen/browser in the status window, you can check where a link actually leads to by hovering over a link in the post...If it does not match what the link says in the post - DO NOT CLICK IT, and immediately report it to myself, Ulysses or one of the online moderators.

Can you point me to the thread mate ?

Was the destination actually a BBC page ?

Furthermore - http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2008-071613-4343-99&tabid=1

Symantec state that the application must be downloaded to the local PC, so I can only assume it come from a pop up on another site, or a link that is being directed.

*** At the bottom left of the screen/browser in the status window, you can check where a link actually leads to by hovering over a link in the post...If it does not match what the link says in the post - DO NOT CLICK IT, and immediately report it to myself, Ulysses or one of the online moderators.

I'm not sure where it came from mate, I got it last week before I had even opened my emails. Whether I had it sitting dormant is another thing tho.

You can get the Antivirus XP 2008 infection from viewing YouTube clips.

It will install a codec when you view the clip, this infects the computer with the malware!

I've taken it off a few customer's system with the details above, all of them claimed they had only viewed YouTube videos when they got the infection.

Possibly from an embedded YouTube clip on here? Sounds unlikely but you never know! :eek:

Archived