Craig Gordon

vegas-voss

Is there any debate at all now that Gordon is far and away Scotland's Number 1.

In the People today they gave him a 9 and said he showed why he was Number 1.But then in the NOTW they said despite giving him an 8 that Gordon got the nod over MacGregor as if it was a close call between the two of them.

jamboinglasgow

it still amazes me how much they seem to think that mcgregor is close to gordon in abilty. Its like if Buffon came from Florentina and but the media kept going on about the AC Milan goalkeeping being as good as Buffon even though he is only good.

Gordon is a one in a generation goalkeeper, McGregor is decent but will never reach gordons abilty. end of story.

Millfield_Mackem

He seems to look a fantastic keeper for Scotland, but he hasn't replicated his form for the national side for us. I think that is down to communication between the defence as he's been playing for Scotland for a while so is obviously going to have a better understanding. Hopefully with our new and improved back four he'll show signs of why we signed him for 7 million.

In the People today they gave him a 9 and said he showed why he was Number 1.But then in the NOTW they said despite giving him an 8 that Gordon got the nod over MacGregor as if it was a close call between the two of them.

Right this is getting silly now !! There is no debate, no question of who should play and no reason to waste time discussing this.

MacGregor is a reasonably competent keeper and is fine as a back up, he is not and never will be in the same class as Craig Gordon end of.

This has only arisen because MacGregor plays for a Glasgow team, thank god Boruc is Polish or the Glasgow press would have Craig vying for third spot with David Marshall !!

I thought the days of only being worthy of a Scotland jersey if you played for one of the ugly sisters were over, obviously not. The guys who write this guff and bring out the likes of Billy Thomson to say MacGregor should be number one are doing not only Craig but the whole team a dis-service, there is no debate and yesterday only confirmed what everybody who doesn't have to pander to a West of Scotland readership knows, we have young top class keeper who hasn't reached his full potenial yet. With luck Craig will reach the highest level ever achieved by a Scottish keeper and when he does I will be grateful that I got the opportunity to see him start off his career with the JT's.

:mad: :mad:

The Real Maroonblood
He seems to look a fantastic keeper for Scotland, but he hasn't replicated his form for the national side for us. I think that is down to communication between the defence as he's been playing for Scotland for a while so is obviously going to have a better understanding. Hopefully with our new and improved back four he'll show signs of why we signed him for 7 million.

Has he cost youur team a lot of goals?

Millfield_Mackem
Has he cost youur team a lot of goals?

Not really. He's made a couple of clangers over the past year but he has generally looked shaky. He had a stint at the end of the season when he was superb saving us a fair few points. This season he's looked scared to come out and command and clatter someone. I think his confidence has took a blow without the arrival of Jonny Evans who was superb and marshalled our defence, which was a task of CG's mind and allowed him to concentrate on his own game.

To be fair to Craig, until recently Sunderland's defence was absolutely dreadful. 4 fullbacks in defence V Liverpool for example (Chimbonda, Nosworthy, Collins and Bardsley). I think the additions of Chimbona, Ferdinand and McCartney will help, but who is likely to partner Ferdinand?

As for Gordon V McGregor - Craig at 25 is quadruple the keeper that soon to be 27 year old McGregor ever will be.

I went down to watch your game against Liverpool a few weeks ago, and it still seems like your defence doesn't communicate well. You don't have a big dominant centre half that organises his fellow defenders like we had in Pressley, when Gordon was here.

A goalkeeper can only be expected to make the odd great save, but with a weak defence any goalkeeper is in trouble - even Buffon.

Millfield_Mackem
To be fair to Craig, until recently Sunderland's defence was absolutely dreadful. 4 fullbacks in defence V Liverpool for example (Chimbonda, Nosworthy, Collins and Bardsley). I think the additions of Chimbona, Ferdinand and McCartney will help, but who is likely to partner Ferdinand?

As for Gordon V McGregor - Craig at 25 is quadruple the keeper that soon to be 27 year old McGregor ever will be.

I think Nos will partner Ferdinand cos' of his physical attributes. He's geet big, strang and fast which is essential in any defence. I'd like to see Collins get his chance as he's hardly put a foot wrong this season.

I hope in January, we have a chance of signing Jonny Evans, as in the past two seasons he's transformed out season and helped save us from relegation. Craig really came into his own with Evans infront of him.

brellierlegend
I think Nos will partner Ferdinand cos' of his physical attributes. He's geet big, strang and fast which is essential in any defence. I'd like to see Collins get his chance as he's hardly put a foot wrong this season.

I hope in January, we have a chance of signing Jonny Evans, as in the past two seasons he's transformed out season and helped save us from relegation. Craig really came into his own with Evans infront of him.

I like Sunderland and think Roy Keane is doing a great job. However, I think some of the fans are far too harsh on Gordon.

Some of last seasons defending was completely farcical at times. Take for example the 7-0 Everton game. 3 or 4 of the goals came from 80 yard balls over the top. I think Gordon could have done better at only 1 of the 7 conceded. Guys like McShane vs players like Ronaldo, Torres, Tevez, Adebayor etc etc are always going to make it tough for a keeper.

I think with the addition of Ferdinand, Chimbonda and McCartney Sunderland will be a lot more solid. However, I am no fan of Nosworthy. I still think Sunderland need to look at bringing in Jonny Evans as that would complete an excellent back 4 in my opinion.

That's another thing the press fail to mention.The way they talk it is as if MacGregor is the younger rising keeper when he is actually the older.

There isn't and never should should be any debate about Scotlands number 1. Craig Gordon by an absolute mile! Every aspect of his game is slightly better than McGregor.

I actually wish that McGregor had got his rumoured move to either Spurs or Newcastle in the summer. I'm not saying McGregor isn't a good keeper - he is - but it's easy for him to look better playing in a team that is in all likelihood going to win the league.

What Gordon showed yesterdays is that any problems with his game at Sunderland are not a result of poor form. I think he looks a better goalkeeper now than he did before - his kicking/distrubution have improved and he dealt with a few tricky crosses into his box. I suspect his problem at Sunderland is a lack of confidence in the defenders in front of him. Who could blame him?

Gordon is a modern goalkeeper, it's less about dominating the box and more about saving shots. At Hearts Pressley allowed him to get on with this. Ditto McManus at Scotland. At Sunderland - dominating centre half - bada.

If McGregor didnt play for 1 side of the old firm This thread would not exist fact!

How many times have we seen players go from smaller teams to the old frim and somehow manage to become internationals overnight.West of scotland bias.

Guest juvehearts
Right this is getting silly now !! There is no debate, no question of who should play and no reason to waste time discussing this.

MacGregor is a reasonably competent keeper and is fine as a back up, he is not and never will be in the same class as Craig Gordon end of.

This has only arisen because MacGregor plays for a Glasgow team, thank god Boruc is Polish or the Glasgow press would have Craig vying for third spot with David Marshall !!

I thought the days of only being worthy of a Scotland jersey if you played for one of the ugly sisters were over, obviously not. The guys who write this guff and bring out the likes of Billy Thomson to say MacGregor should be number one are doing not only Craig but the whole team a dis-service, there is no debate and yesterday only confirmed what everybody who doesn't have to pander to a West of Scotland readership knows, we have young top class keeper who hasn't reached his full potenial yet. With luck Craig will reach the highest level ever achieved by a Scottish keeper and when he does I will be grateful that I got the opportunity to see him start off his career with the JT's.

:mad: :mad:

supprised that no-one has picked up on this post yet JJ

superb.

juve.

Doctor FinnBarr
Not really. He's made a couple of clangers over the past year but he has generally looked shaky. He had a stint at the end of the season when he was superb saving us a fair few points. This season he's looked scared to come out and command and clatter someone. I think his confidence has took a blow without the arrival of Jonny Evans who was superb and marshalled our defence, which was a task of CG's mind and allowed him to concentrate on his own game.

OK, send him back then......

;)

best in the land

at the end of the day its down to george burley (for now) who is no1 and any manager with sense is going to pick gordon.

he's by far the better keeper,but i think its good for craig as well to have someone to keep pushing him for his place, i don't think it's healthy for the team for any player to be first pick no matter what.

let the media say what they like but if craig keeps performing, he'll stay no1.

Simply because your defence is garbage. Bunch of over-priced no marks at the back for Sunderland.

Craig Gordon is going to be one of the best goalies in the world in the years to come.

And is already the best in this country by a long way!

McGregor is no better than Rab Douglas or Jonothan Gould (although I will conceed he is better than Sullivan)

That toss pot from Glasgow is only doing now what Craig Gordon has been doing for years at Hearts and now with Sunderland. Dont get me wrong he is a good keeper but not even in the same class as gordon.

I think playing against such strikers as Rooney, Torres, Drogba, Ronaldo etc and compaired to Nish, Mole, Rat-Boy, Clarkson etc. Playing against world class strikers can only improve Gordon even further even though he will concede more goals in the EPL.

Its the weegie media at it again because one of there end is now playing well. The plonk has sat on the bench for about 6 years off his football life.

ridiculous argument and i got annoyed reading billy thomsons article that der hun should be number one. i wish NI had scored their penalty in the friendly. it was a good save but a crap piece of goalkeeping cost us the penalty in the first place. CG's performance yesterday was world class end off. AMc should get used to the bench cause he will never be number 1 unless there is an injury to CG

blondejamtart

I've said this before - both McGregor and Boruc are over-rated and only get half the coverage they do because they with the OF! Make no mistake, if we hadn't had Craig in goals yesterday, we'd have lost by a lot more than 1-0.

rudi must stay

nothing wrong with having 2 good keepers imo. If Gordon gets injured we need someone who can do just as well

There isn't and never should should be any debate about Scotlands number 1. Craig Gordon by an absolute mile! Every aspect of his game is slightly better than McGregor.

I actually wish that McGregor had got his rumoured move to either Spurs or Newcastle in the summer. I'm not saying McGregor isn't a good keeper - he is - but it's easy for him to look better playing in a team that is in all likelihood going to win the league.

What Gordon showed yesterdays is that any problems with his game at Sunderland are not a result of poor form. I think he looks a better goalkeeper now than he did before - his kicking/distrubution have improved and he dealt with a few tricky crosses into his box. I suspect his problem at Sunderland is a lack of confidence in the defenders in front of him. Who could blame him?

Gordon is a modern goalkeeper, it's less about dominating the box and more about saving shots. At Hearts Pressley allowed him to get on with this. Ditto McManus at Scotland. At Sunderland - dominating centre half - bada.

Thanks Blairdin.

Finally, after about 3 years of making this point on Kickback someone else sees it.

As an aside, 1 excellent game for Scotland doesn't confirm Craigs place as Scotland's number 1.

But

Apart from a couple of dodgy moments in his first couple of caps, his next 29 have been near faultless. Add to that 7 years as first choice keeper, outstanding performances in europe when we've played, good games in the Premiership when his side puts out an even half decent defence (remember McGregor at Dunfermline), his demanour; his personality and so many other characteristics make him a miles better and more realible international keepr than McGregor.

Found it interesting last week that even the most diehard Celtic press guys are now wondering if Boruc's offield and onfield antics have finally caught up with him. What's that got to do with McGregor?

Assault on Clum

Getting involved in a brawl during an Old Firm game last season 60 yards from his goals. (And with Kingston at Ibrox his season)

A propensity to come for cross balls he will never get to

Good on him for his sh@ggin ability, but how much champagne has he been chucking about bigging it that he's a pro footballer.*

There is a saying that goalies are mad and eccentric. Not the top class ones anymore.

*Not saying players can't have a drink and football does have a birds and booze culture but interesting that Chris Hoy last had a beer in March before the Olympics - and his bird is a cracker too.

The McGregor for Scotland campaign initiated by the glasgow press has been ratcheted up recently. In a nutshell Gordon is a superior keeper in all departments and the push for McGregor is entirely down to the fact he plays for one of the uglies. Gordon hasn't even lost form. There is no reason to question Scotland's goalkeeping position, Gordon is the first name on the teamsheet every time.

The press should be concentrating on positions in the team that need looked at urgently, Brown and Fletcher for a start

In the modern era, few (if any) Scottish teams have reared a truly 'World Class' player, which by definition means in a World X1 v Mars that player would start.

CG may not be there yet, but within the next 5 years it is possible that Hearts will have achieved this.

Surely no-one thinks AM would be considered in the same way?

I've said this before - both McGregor and Boruc are over-rated and only get half the coverage they do because they with the OF! Make no mistake, if we hadn't had Craig in goals yesterday, we'd have lost by a lot more than 1-0.

Tbf, Boruc, like most keepers is prone to the odd howler, but his performances for Poland at major competitions have simply been outstanding. Boruc's main problem is his personality, he's an utter spanner.

However, on his day I'd say Boruc can be better than Gordon.

I heard a couple of weeks ago that there is a very good reason why Craig looks to have lost confidance at Sunderland at the moment. It's cos he has............. but not in himself, in the man picking the team. He wasn't even sure he would be first choice keeper at the start of the season.

That may have changed now though.

Gordon definitely should be Scotland's number one. I couldn't believe the Weeg press going on about "despite McGregor saving a penalty when he came on at HT in the friendly against NI, Gordon retains the No.1 jersey". McGregor gave the bl00dy penalty away in the first place. Tube :mad:

I heard a couple of weeks ago that there is a very good reason why Craig looks to have lost confidance at Sunderland at the moment. It's cos he has............. but not in himself, in the man picking the team. He wasn't even sure he would be first choice keeper at the start of the season.

That may have changed now though.

Roy Keane said in the close season that he was potentially looking for 10 new first team players in order to take Sunderland to the next level.

Craig plus the 10 new players. Can't think there is any doubt about how much he rates Craig.

Scotland's, Scotland's No. 1

Scot-land's No.1

I miss singing that!

It's still true though...

Archived