Traffic wardens

Paws (FTH)

I dislike them with a passion. Today I left the car on a single yellow line while I nipped into the butcher's. I was literally in there for 5 or 6 minutes and came out to find a parking ticket had been slapped on the windshield (don't know how I didn't catch them in the act TBH). Totally ****ed off :mad:

Before anyone starts with the "they're just trying to make a living like anyone else" crap, I realise that but FFS they could give folk a little grace period, I wasn't obstructing traffic/a pedestrian crossing or anything like that. Grrr.

Rant over.

I dislike them with a passion. Today I left the car on a single yellow line while I nipped into the butcher's. I was literally in there for 5 or 6 minutes and came out to find a parking ticket had been slapped on the windshield (don't know how I didn't catch them in the act TBH). Totally ****ed off :mad:

Before anyone starts with the "they're just trying to make a living like anyone else" crap, I realise that but FFS they could give folk a little grace period, I wasn't obstructing traffic/a pedestrian crossing or anything like that. Grrr.

Rant over.

The law's the law my friend. We all bend it but if you get caught you have to face up to the consequences. :P

As a self-employed person who dots around the city centre every day, I can tell you that they are a bunch of thick, smelly, ****wits.

Every one an ugly ******* as well.

Filth.

The only thing that annoys me about them is their seeming inability to book persistant offenders regularly enough and in this respect am I thinking of those cars belonging to estate agents in Dundas Street. you see the same cars abandoned in bus stop spaces outside various busniess yet they never seem to get a ticket far less towed away. Now I am sure that there are many similar examples people can quote from elsewhere in town. dundas and Hannove street are in a consistent bad enough mess with roadworks without these "untouchables" further blocking the road.

I never have any problem with them..

I don't break the law by parking illegally and then moan about the fact I got caught out!

I got well peeved off today because someone had parked on a single yellow, probably just nipping into the shops and they caused me to nearly get hit by a bus.,.

inconsiderate drivers parking where they shouldn't

suzie_preston
As a self-employed person who dots around the city centre every day, I can tell you that they are a bunch of thick, smelly, ****wits.

Every one an ugly ******* as well.

Filth.

Now that's a bit unfair is it not? ;)

If you park legally they carn't give you a ticket :P

The Old Tolbooth

Just don't pay it, I saw a programme a while back that says they have no powers of recovery, I don't know if it's true though and would probably bottle testing it.

Just don't pay it, I saw a programme a while back that says they have no powers of recovery, I don't know if it's true though and would probably bottle testing it.

Surely they'd take me to court? I'll end up paying it (grudgingly) within in the first 14 days or else it goes up to ?60! :sad:

some of them work till well after 9pm as well these days

I got a ticket when I was legally parked displaying my paid sticker a few years back. The warden was a few cars up so I went and spoke to him, he said he issued the ticket before he seen the sticker (hmmmm....it was on the windscreen) and once issued cannot be taken away by himself. I appealed it and got a letter back saying as it was a first offence 'out of goodwill' they would overturn it.

I wasn't too impressed

That's only with Private Parking Companies John (PPC's). If it's a Council issued ticket then they will take you to court if it remains unpaid as you're breaking the law, unlike PPC's where the debate is whether you entered the contract to park on their land in the first place. PPC's will send you threatening letters but will be unlikely to take anyone to the small claims courts for the sake of 60 quid. Note I say "unlikely" as they could still do it but would cost them too much to raise the case etc.....

A couple of years ago i was doing a job in a school in the town,i parked outside the front gate and went to get the janitor to open it,less than a minute later i came back to find a ticket on my van,the barstard must have had it written before i got out the van.The company i worked for used the schools cctv footage to prove that the ticket had been issued wrongly.I always try to park legally and generally believe that most folk deserve to be booked as they have no thought of others when they park illegally

They are utter filth.

For the record, I never park illegally. I spend ?200 a year on tickets from the machine.

Yet I have had a ticket for my wheels being slightly out of the bay (so I can have space to get out the van when parked next to a fence). For being 2 minutes over on my ticket time & the old favourite of 5 minutes grace on a single yellow not being given.

Barsatrds, the lot of them.

Why don't taxis get parking tickets?

Because they are not left unattended for a long time. Same as a lot of delivery vans in town . I think they get up to 15 minutes to load/unload. Could be wrong but there is no other options otherwise no deliveries or taxi journeys could be made during office hours.

They are utter filth.

For the record, I never park illegally. I spend ?200 a year on tickets from the machine.

Yet I have had a ticket for my wheels being slightly out of the bay (so I can have space to get out the van when parked next to a fence). For being 2 minutes over on my ticket time & the old favourite of 5 minutes grace on a single yellow not being given.

Barsatrds, the lot of them.

Had both of these problems also. When your wheels are outside the bay you are meant to find a traffic warden and tell them why. Even if you can only fit your car between two other cars who may be forcing you to be outside the bay when these cars leave you are seen as the car parked in error and get a ticket.

The grace peiod thing depends where you park in town i.e city centre you get no time at all but park in the outskirts they give you a bit , up to 5 minutes. I seen a traffic warden chase a car and throw the ticket through the window of the moving vehicle.

How you are meant to find a traffic warden I still dont know as they are always hiding writing their tickets.

some of them work till well after 9pm as well these days

I got a ticket when I was legally parked displaying my paid sticker a few years back. The warden was a few cars up so I went and spoke to him, he said he issued the ticket before he seen the sticker (hmmmm....it was on the windscreen) and once issued cannot be taken away by himself. I appealed it and got a letter back saying as it was a first offence 'out of goodwill' they would overturn it.

I wasn't too impressed

Thats exactley what happened to me. The letter mentioned the good will too and I sent a letter back mentioning my feelings towards there attitude to me. Didnt hear back from them!!

The only thing that annoys me about them is their seeming inability to book persistant offenders regularly enough and in this respect am I thinking of those cars belonging to estate agents in Dundas Street. you see the same cars abandoned in bus stop spaces outside various busniess yet they never seem to get a ticket far less towed away. Now I am sure that there are many similar examples people can quote from elsewhere in town. dundas and Hannove street are in a consistent bad enough mess with roadworks without these "untouchables" further blocking the road.

This is DJ Alexander we are talking about. I would trust Hitler before I trusted that man. It is clear what is going on with his 'car parking' situation. You don't have to be a genius to work it out.....

Carl Spackler

Grace and common sense doesn't exist these days. For every traffic warden there is a senseless chancing git who stuffs it for the rest of us.

sick.of.romanov

Don't get me started on this, i have a constant battle everyday with the fat cow in Morningside, somebodys going to lose it with her 1 day :mad:

Doctor FinnBarr

I know 2 guys who parked their bikes on the pavement (in Inverness) so that they could shackle the bikes onto railings who got tickets for being illegally parked. They fought it with the excuse being that as they were on the pavement it was outside the wardens jurasdiction(sp). They won!

Maybe just lucky tho.

:)

This is DJ Alexander we are talking about. I would trust Hitler before I trusted that man. It is clear what is going on with his 'car parking' situation. You don't have to be a genius to work it out.....

The scam of "no getting tickets" is not in my view confined to that particular firm unless the other local agaents are just shell companies of his

The scam of "no getting tickets" is not in my view confined to that particular firm unless the other local agaents are just shell companies of his

If the other one you are talking about is Retties then yes they are the same thing. If not then maybe it is more than just these guys.

Either way it is dodgy.

You are a traffic Warden on fairly low pay. You have targets to meet. You have cars sitting in the same place every day you could probably simply re-ticket over and over again to make up your numbers.

You never give them tickets.....

Only one thing that this could be down to. I may put in a complaint and ask for an explanation.

They're on commission as well I believe. Probably had you in their sights as soon as you pulled up.

My mate was one for a couple of months a few years back when it was a choice between being one and not having enough money to make rent.

He says this is a myth. However, they do have quotas that they are expected to fill. He got into trouble for not booking enough people.

When I was staying in Gillespie Crescent, I had about 40 tickets, plus my car was towed about 5 times.

Plus I had a permit.

Thing is, the permit doesn't count on certain parts of the street after 8am. The tosser that worked that area used to honestly wait until a few minutes after 8 then run along the street ticketing cars. I sat and watched him one morning.

I P Knightley

If people would only park legally, we'd see the decline of the traffic warden.

I'm sure that they have other responsibilities but folk make it easy for them to go round ticketing the parkers.

I'd love to be a traffic warden for a week. I'd put on the little toothbrush moustache and everything.

If people would only park legally, we'd see the decline of the traffic warden.

I'm sure that they have other responsibilities but folk make it easy for them to go round ticketing the parkers.

I'd love to be a traffic warden for a week. I'd put on the little toothbrush moustache and everything.

True statement, the local authorities would love this too. Council's actually make more money from compliance than they do with Penalty Charge Notices.

The main reason for ticket issue is "over-time" in your bay. The council would far prefer that bay to be empty so someone else can come along and pay for 2 hours stay, stay for an hour and go, then someone else pays for that bay so they get double revenue on it. This income far outweighs the overheads involved in issuing and chasing up a ?20 fine.

Moral of the story is, if you hate the wardens and their tickets, get everyone you know to park legally and they would start to disappear!

I P Knightley
True statement, the local authorities would love this too. Council's actually make more money from compliance than they do with Penalty Charge Notices.

The main reason for ticket issue is "over-time" in your bay. The council would far prefer that bay to be empty so someone else can come along and pay for 2 hours stay, stay for an hour and go, then someone else pays for that bay so they get double revenue on it. This income far outweighs the overheads involved in issuing and chasing up a ?20 fine.

Moral of the story is, if you hate the wardens and their tickets, get everyone you know to park legally and they would start to disappear!

I wouldn't have thought that was so but I suppose it makes sense when you think of all the costs associated with PCNs.

I wouldn't have thought that was so but I suppose it makes sense when you think of all the costs associated with PCNs.

It comes back to the fact that people rarely stay for the full 2 hours.For example, if the bay is "for hire" for say 8 hours a day, you arrive at 8 am and you pay for 2 hours, but leave after one. Then someone else takes up the bay, again pays for 2 but leaves after 1. So by 10 am that bay has been "hired" for 4 hours already even tho its only 10am.

Take a city centre bay in Edinburgh, Glasgow or London and you're making a mint. But if you have someone sitting in the bay for 4 hours and you fine them ?20 you're losing out on revenue with his car sitting there. If the owner of car doesn't come forward and pay, you have to pay the DVLA to get the car owner details so you can send a reminder letter, he ignores that, it goes to debt collection etc. Add all those overheads up, include the staff costs of the process and you will make very little out of the amount the penalty notice is issued for.

It is quite staggering how much more they make from everyone being a good boy! I work in the "industry" so could rattle off stats about parking but dont want to bore everyone :P

I P Knightley

It is quite staggering how much more they make from everyone being a good boy! I work in the "industry" so could rattle off stats about parking but dont want to bore everyone :P

Brave move to 'come out' like that!

You should have camouflaged it by saying something like, 'Derek Riordan's a smashing bloke; the SFA are a wonderul bunch of people; Alex Salmond is both lovely and hideous; Margaret Thatcher is my idol and I fantasise about Jade Goody and Elton John in a 3-some.' That would just about have covered your trail!! :D

You should have camouflaged it by saying something like, 'Derek Riordan's a smashing bloke; the SFA are a wonderul bunch of people; Alex Salmond is both lovely and hideous; Margaret Thatcher is my idol and I fantasise about Jade Goody and Elton John in a 3-some.' That would just about have covered your trail!! :D

Awwwww man!!!

Yellow card for a lunchtime comment like that :eek:

Total nonsense.

It's ?60 in Edinburgh! :eek: (reduced to ?30 if paid within 14 days). They should wear masks :(

On the subject of parking, what get's on my goat is the council's "essential users" free for all parking. Now I don't want to be mean spirited and I can recognise that there must be cases where there are times when council workers should get an exemption (meals on wheels, social work visits etc) but i've seen up to 5 or 6 cars parked up in the castle terrace/spittal street area! And to cap it all they are all parked on bends, blocking traffic views (presumably because they don't want to take up residents/pay parking bays).

I just wonder if they have heard of car sharing - I just hate the thought that there is an element of double standards with the council.

Maybe someone can enlighten me.

Essential users’ permits. There is currently a permit system for NHS workers who work in communities and need to park in residential areas. To deal with an expanding demand for care in the community, this scheme will be reviewed in consultation with health service providers. - from Edinburgh Council Site

Maybe I shouldn't be so harsh!!

But she is mine! The rest are pretty sick, but leave Maggie alone!

I P Knightley
But she is mine! The rest are pretty sick, but leave Maggie alone!

I'm not saying she shouldn't be.

It's just that there are certain things about which you have to be particularly wary when posting on JKB.

statistically, traffic wardens in edinburgh are more likely to support Hibernian football club. Stands to reason dont it...... dirty scruffy looking, no real goals in life, and hasn't done anything of any use for anyone for a good long time!!!!

Archived