i know I shouldn't worry

jamboinglasgow

jamboinglasgow

I consider myself to be an intelligent and wise person but for some reason, even though I know it is overhyped panic, part of me is worried that the world will end on Wednesday when they switch on the LHC in switzerland. The media seem to be loving the idea that it could destroy the world but I know that scientists see no danger of a black hole being created which could destroy the earth.

I try to remind myself to think back to the Y2k bug which ended up being a complete anti-climax but there is something that sticks in the back of my mind which says the world could end of wednesday. Anyone have any helpful advice to stop this thought?

I consider myself to be an intelligent and wise person but for some reason, even though I know it is overhyped panic, part of me is worried that the world will end on Wednesday when they switch on the LHC in switzerland. The media seem to be loving the idea that it could destroy the world but I know that scientists see no danger of a black hole being created which could destroy the earth.

I try to remind myself to think back to the Y2k bug which ended up being a complete anti-climax but there is something that sticks in the back of my mind which says the world could end of wednesday. Anyone have any helpful advice to stop this thought?

If the world ends on Wednesday it'll mean Hearts finish above Hibs for the rest of eternity. And Celtic for that matter.

;)

Kalamazoo Jambo
I know that scientists see no danger of a black hole being created which could destroy the earth.

That's good, 'cause that would suck, big style.

Doctor FinnBarr

Zoomer!

;)

Anyone have any helpful advice to stop this thought?

Yes.

The LHC will be activated on September 10th, but the first high-energy collisions are not scheduled to take place until October 21st. That gives you an extra 6 weeks before you have to get worried.

:thumb:

jamboinglasgow
Yes.

The LHC will be activated on September 10th, but the first high-energy collisions are not scheduled to take place until October 21st. That gives you an extra 6 weeks before you have to get worried.

:thumb:

thanks for making things a bit easier;). Have to admit I am a serial worrier at times (absoloutly hate it) worry about my health (yet only been to the doctor once in 6 years and that was something that needed to be checked out but luckly it was nothing serious.) Also worry about end of the world sometimes, wasn't bothered by Y2k but the Inca calender ending on 23rd December 2012 has me a bit worried as well.

....the Inca calender ending on 23rd December 2012 has me a bit worried as well.

Look on the bright side; if the LHC creates a black hole that kills us all we won't have to worry about the 23rd of December 2012. :eek:

jamboinglasgow
Look on the bright side; if the LHC creates a black hole that kills us all we won't have to worry about the 23rd of December 2012. :eek:

thanks but was kind of hoping for something that says both were not going to happen:p

If the world has to end in October, it would be helpful if it could be arranged for any point before the 12th so that I need never know the trauma of reaching my thirties. Thanks in advance.

Seriously though, smashing atoms can't be an overly safe hobby....

jamboinglasgow

just read that article and realised it is all irrational the fears, think its the unknown that causes the fear that it is a new science so it is unchartered territory. The media stoke it up with sensational headlines as it grabs papers so people fear it. As they say the most important fact is the same thing happens thousands of times every day with cosmic rays hitting earth and no black holes happen there.

Commander Harris

The chances of a miniature black hole causing the end of the world may well be small and one is, no doubt, far more likely to get hit by a bus tomorrow than for all humanity to be wiped out in this scientific experiment.

This bring me around to a philosophical question: For a person that dies, is there a difference between just that person himself dying and a situation where the whole world ends? If he is no longer alive, what difference does it make to him whether life goes on for everyone else?

(sorry if that's a bit glib/deep/boring/stoopid.)

Seriously though, smashing atoms can't be an overly safe hobby....

In a worst-case scenario, there's an almost 100% likelihood of cellular polykineticisation. :eek:

Commander Harris

I'm fearing a half-life style "resonance cascade scenario".

who's going to deal with all the pesky transdimensional head-crabs?

In a worst-case scenario, there's an almost 100% likelihood of cellular polykineticisation. :eek:

Oh dear, not cellular polykinetiwhatsitsface.... :eek:

(Is that a bad thing, then?)

jamboinglasgow
I'm fearing a half-life style "resonance cascade scenario".

who's going to deal with all the pesky transdimensional head-crabs?

any beardy blokes with glasses and a crowbar avaliable?

any beardy blokes with glasses and a crowbar avaliable?

Have you ever thought of the irony in the fact that you live in amongst the great unwashed and this is what worry's you! :eek:

portobellojambo1

And there was me thinking this was another thread about Derek Riordan, or something to do with Hibs winning the Scottish Cup.

Have you ever thought of the irony in the fact that you live in amongst the great unwashed and this is what worry's you! :eek:

Very good point. If I lived in the Wiedge I would be more worried about getting stabbed in the neck with a bottle of buckie outside McDonalds. :eek:

Actually reminds me I have to visit that cesspit tomorrow...Eughh. I feel dirty already.

Disgusting place. Maybe we can create a black hole and just set it up to get rid of the Wiedge - nothing else !!!

Come on Scientists. We can do it !!

A Boy Named Crow

There is a black hole every Friday. It encompasses only Maidenhead Office Park, the effect of which is to slow time down to the extent that every Friday feels like a week in the jail. We all survive, but it really isn't pleasant!!!

Miller Jambo 60
Very good point. If I lived in the Wiedge I would be more worried about getting stabbed in the neck with a bottle of buckie outside McDonalds. :eek:

Actually reminds me I have to visit that cesspit tomorrow...Eughh. I feel dirty already.

Disgusting place. Maybe we can create a black hole and just set it up to get rid of the Wiedge - nothing else !!!

Come on Scientists. We can do it !!

Majic :4_1_72::4_1_72::4_1_72:

I missed that one. I do worry about things like that. Turning off the pc and TV till Thursday now.

Well after the Scotland game :rolleyes:

Oh dear, not cellular polykinetiwhatsitsface.... :eek:

(Is that a bad thing, then?)

It's a worst-case scenario. Unlikely to happen, but utterly devastating if it does.

need to be a short holiday though.

Read about a guy who had a life threatning illness, credit cards to the max off he went. And recovered :(

The Mighty Thor

When i read about this the first thing that ran through my mind was the lyrics of Ian Dury's 'There ain't half been some clever b*stards'

Einstein can't be classed as witless.

He claimed atoms were the littlest.

When you did a bit of split em-ness,

Frightened everybody ****less.

random thought.:rolleyes:

Doctor FinnBarr
need to be a short holiday though.

Read about a guy who had a life threatning illness, credit cards to the max off he went. And recovered :(

No, a fortnight, home before the 1st particles collide tho! If its going to happen we'll just not bother coming back.

:)

jamboinglasgow
It will go fine (like clockwork).

Wednesday 19 November 2014, is another story....

i'll bite, what is special about that date?

i'll bite, what is special about that date?

I'll have a bash and say that's the date Nostradamus predicted the world would end?

So if they make a black hole do we all die after finding out on a BBC newsflash or is it over in a second?

Not sure which option I prefer.

The Mayans didn't predict the end of the world, quite the opposite, they predicted a new age. Just because Roland Emmerich and Michael Bay are making movies about it doesn't mean it will happen, and look on the bright side, if something does happen those movies will show us how to beat it.

Nostradamus was a f?nny.

There is no risk from the particle experiment, as has been explained previously.

Nothing will happen to us in the near future, or in this generation I'd wager.

You'll die when your body shuts down due to illness or old age or being hit by a bus as mentioned.

Hibs will never win the cup and that's that.

It's the new bird flu. There is nothing to be concerned about on a global stage at this moment in time. For me at least. You're a student right? Worry about that. Exams and stuff.

http://www.newscientist.com/blog/shortsharpscience/2008/09/why-world-wont-end-on-september-10.html?DCMP=ILC-hmts&nsref=specrt11_pic - that should allay your fears.

Peace out, good night.

jamboinglasgow
The Mayans didn't predict the end of the world, quite the opposite, they predicted a new age. Just because Roland Emmerich and Michael Bay are making movies about it doesn't mean it will happen, and look on the bright side, if something does happen those movies will show us how to beat it.

Nostradamus was a f?nny.

There is no risk from the particle experiment, as has been explained previously.

Nothing will happen to us in the near future, or in this generation I'd wager.

You'll die when your body shuts down due to illness or old age or being hit by a bus as mentioned.

Hibs will never win the cup and that's that.

It's the new bird flu. There is nothing to be concerned about on a global stage at this moment in time. For me at least. You're a student right? Worry about that. Exams and stuff.

http://www.newscientist.com/blog/shortsharpscience/2008/09/why-world-wont-end-on-september-10.html?DCMP=ILC-hmts&nsref=specrt11_pic - that should allay your fears.

Peace out, good night.

cheers peanut, thats quite comprehensive, I agree with you about nostradamus, of course his works look like they are predicting stuff when you take an event and attempt to twist words. If you look at them they are gibberish and cant be useful for predicting anything.

as for the mayan thing, normally i would dismiss that out of hand but the idea of them getting the big event of the spanish coming right (though that may be selective in whats looked at and in hindsight it makes sense but probably lots of dates predicting things are wrong.) As you say it is a new age not end of the world so i will relax.

Think the media have to shake off this facination at possible end of the world nonsense as it scares gulliable fools (including me sometimes) and lifes better when you dont worry (take that from someone who worries too much.) Asteroids are another favourite but these are usually detected years in advance and then there will be time to think of a way to stop it. Think a classic example of media hype was when I saw horizon which used to be a great science program where you could hear about complicated ideals and pretend the next day to know them to your friends (who then disown you:p) but they had an episode on 5 ways the world may end. Complete scare mongering from start to finish,

Archived