Do we need 2 ball playing centre halfs?

Randle P McMurphy

Randle P McMurphy

I think Christophe is a good defender but even with Csaba's coaching I just cant see him being up to playing the ball out effectively from the back or breaking forward with any end product. Zal despite his defensive lapses in concentration is definitely more accomplished at this.

Question is do we need 2 footballing centre halfs or is one 'stopper' and one 'player' a better combination?

I think Christophe is a good defender but even with Csaba's coaching I just cant see him being up to playing the ball out effectively from the back or breaking forward with any end product. Zal despite his defensive lapses in concentration is definitely more accomplished at this.

Question is do we need 2 footballing centre halfs or is one 'stopper' and one 'player' a better combination?

I believe Karipidis is the best on the ball out of our three centre halves (halfs?), definately not Zaliukas but thats just my opinion.

Playing with two centre halves that can play the ball out effectively would mean we would have to drop Berra. He's a long ball merchant.

Randle P McMurphy
I believe Karipidis is the best on the ball out of our three centre halves (halfs?), definately not Zaliukas but thats just my opinion.

Playing with two centre halves that can play the ball out effectively would mean we would have to drop Berra. He's a long ball merchant.

No plural of half is halves but plural of centre half is centre halfs.

Probably not but working on their technique cant do any harm and can only improve the player

IMO if you want to play a passing style then both CHs need to be able to play with the ball along with both full backs. Otherwise the opposition will isolate the weakest link so that he is the get out ball all the time - he ends up hoofing it all the time. The trick I suppose is to get a hard centre half who can also pass the ball. I think (or is that hope?!?), as with Webster, Berra's footballing ability will come on in leaps and bounds through his involvment with Scotland.

I always find it quite amusing that there are people who prefer Zal to Berra.

Zal has had quite a good start to the season despite, (see bold above)

Guest JamboRobbo
I always find it quite amusing that there are people who prefer Zal to Berra.

Zal has had quite a good start to the season despite, (see bold above)

Agree. CH's need to defend, as a given. Zaliukas lapses so far this season have cost us, just as they have throughout his time at Hearts. Don't understand how so many can overlook this so easily, when not conceding goals is meant to be his primary job.

Personally i think Berras distribution has been better this season basically because for the first time he has a midfielder in front of him wanting to receive the ball so he doesn't have to resort to lumping it long!

So far this season i think Zali has played better than Berra but i don't think he is better but i think Zali's "lapses of concentration" are exaggerated and i can't think of 1 goal this season that Zali can be blamed for, even Motherwells first goal was down to Thomson and Kingston not marking their man properly at a throw in and all Zali could do was let Hughes by or give away a penalty!

Now as i've already said in other threads i don't think Zali is the long term answer and to progress we should be looking to have better than him but just now Zali/Berra is our best CH pairing

Agree. CH's need to defend, as a given. Zaliukas lapses so far this season have cost us, just as they have throughout his time at Hearts. Don't understand how so many can overlook this so easily, when not conceding goals is meant to be his primary job.

Can you back this up with factual instances, Motherwell's first was not Zal's fault. (pre-emptive strike!)

Randle P McMurphy

I didn't say I preferred Zal to Berra defensively but I think for Csaba's philosophy of playing the ball from the back he is definitely more suited. I agree with the comment that whoever is the weak link at playing the ball out and keeping possession will be targeted by opposing players who will cut down his options and will then have to resort to playing the ball long. In short this is something that Berra needs to work hard on if he is to be a truly top class central defender.

On a similar note it has been noticeable how effective Kello's distribution has been at finding the right player with a throw out. Something that Banks and indeed Gordon (despite all of his other qualities) before him were never much good at. The game in recent years has become far more possession focused and the aimless punt up the middle from the goalie or defender will surrender this possession 50% of the time.

This brings up other questions.

Do you adopt a system to suit the players you have or do you coach (or buy) the players to adapt to a system you think will be successful? Liverpool were successful in the 70s/80s with 2 footballing centre halves mainly Hansen and Lawrenson but many other clubs have been successful with a bruiser/footballer combination. It depends on the ability of the footballer to play the system chosen, I suppose. Then of course you could go something different again like 3-4-3.

Csaba says he wants the CHs to take the ball out of defence and drive forward. Zal is very good at this, if you notice when he does it, Karipidis drops back into centre half. I can't picture Berra doing it.

One of each is a better blend. Like 3 midfielders should be 1 defensive/holding, one passer and 1 attacker like Hartley or Cameron

scott herbertson
One of each is a better blend. Like 3 midfielders should be 1 defensive/holding, one passer and 1 attacker like Hartley or Cameron

agree entirely

Narey Hegarty

Mcleish Miller

Jardine MacDonald

Archived