"Iconic" Protests and labelling

Jammy T

I have just seen the photo of the Newcastle fan throwing his shirt into the Tyne.

An excellent, if futile, image of the emotions of a fan following the news about Keegan

I presume now that there becomes a group of Newcastle fans referred to as "shirt throwers".

One question is - is this a unified group? Is anyone behind Ashley? What will they be known as?

However, it is lame isnt it, and way behind the image of a radge gadge kicking russian hats around.

It begs the question though - are there any other "iconic" protest images around from world football?

When simply emotional rage / angst identifies itself in a comically futile image?

Guest JamboRobbo

Don't know about the football world, but people "shaking with rage" is my favourite from JKB World.

Oh, and I'm sure the Rangers fans got up to all sorts when they signed Mo Johnston - although not sure if there was any iconic images of fans burning their sashes or snapping their flutes in two.

I have just seen the photo of the Newcastle fan throwing his shirt into the Tyne.

An excellent, if futile, image of the emotions of a fan following the news about Keegan

I presume now that there becomes a group of Newcastle fans referred to as "shirt throwers".

One question is - is this a unified group? Is anyone behind Ashley? What will they be known as?

However, it is lame isnt it, and way behind the image of a radge gadge kicking russian hats around.

It begs the question though - are there any other "iconic" protest images around from world football?

When simply emotional rage / angst identifies itself in a comically futile image?

How about 2 specky tuneless banjo pluckers on an a stage in the middle of Fester Road trying to rally the masses against Lord Mercer who was days away from sending them down the toilet for ever ?

( If only they had realised then that it was their own board who almost sold them down the swanny they might have been able to direct their protests in the right direction )

What if he was just giving his top it's yearly wash.:)

remember only last season several fans throwing their season tickets on the pitch after the dundee united humping. funny thing was i think it was the last home game of the season ;)

remember only last season several fans throwing their season tickets on the pitch after the dundee united humping. funny thing was i think it was the last home game of the season ;)

Yeah that was pretty funny and cringeworthy at the same time.

What someone throwing their shirt into the river while cameras are on them. One word drama queen.

Remember when Gerrard was close to joining Chelsea and some boy burnt his Liverpool top with Gerrard on the back. Although Gerrard came out a few months later saying that a photographer or someone in the media told the boy to do it.

Again, dramaqueens.

Yeah that was pretty funny and cringeworthy at the same time.

What someone throwing their shirt into the river while cameras are on them. One word drama queen.

Remember when Gerrard was close to joining Chelsea and some boy burnt his Liverpool top with Gerrard on the back. Although Gerrard came out a few months later saying that a photographer or someone in the media told the boy to do it.

Again, dramaqueens.

Sounds strangely reminiscent of an occasion a couple of years back with a pile of Cossack hats outside the Main Stand!

Football brings out the emotions in us, no doubt about that.

I wonder what the chap will do if Newcastle click and go on a bit of a run?

My top one is the Middlesboro fan who ran to the dugot and threw his season book at Steve The Umbrella Man Mclaren.

Nice.

The People's Chimp

The hat kicker was hilarious wasn't he.

Does he still go to tynie, or is it all over for his comedic majesty?

On You Tube, there's a wonderful snippet of an interview with Graeme Souness recalling his time on Tyneside. During said interview, he speaks frankly, and with great insight, into what it was like managing Newcastle Utd and the extraordinary weight of expectancy. He describes the club as having "22,000 supporters and 30,000 customers." Wonder which type the subject of the photograph is?

Football brings out the emotions in us, no doubt about that.

I wonder what the chap will do if Newcastle click and go on a bit of a run?

My top one is the Middlesboro fan who ran to the dugot and threw his season book at Steve The Umbrella Man Mclaren.

Nice.

Yeah. That was pretty funny. Didn't he get a standing ovation. Even if he didn't he should have.

toonfanmain_573099a.jpg

Not quite as comical as the moron with the hats i would say

You just got to laugh. Obviously he didn't go down there with the intention of throwing his shirt in the Tyne. As soon as there is a crowd mentality in front of the cameras off it comes.

Just watching SSN an the interviews with the fans. Talk about dodgy characters.

Guest jambomickey
The hat kicker was hilarious wasn't he.

Does he still go to tynie, or is it all over for his comedic majesty?

yeah he still attends games at tynecastle! he sits up behind me and never misses a game

What will the equivalent of Vlad sheep be called in Newcastle?

Will there be any?

A-r-seley lickers?

Fatboy slums?

Podge-packers?

What will the equivalent of Vlad sheep be called in Newcastle?

Will there be any?

A-r-seley lickers?

Fatboy slums?

Podge-packers?

I don't think there will be any as the Newcastle fans are not afraid of Ashley and wil stand up to him, like real fans ;)

I don't think there will be any as the Newcastle fans are not afraid of Ashley and wil stand up to him, like real fans ;)

Time will tell I guess.

I'm sure there are some Sunderland fans that will go on Newcastle messageboards pretending that everything is OK with Ashley and he is just really enlightened :rolleyes:

toonfanmain_573099a.jpg

Not quite as comical as the moron with the hats i would say

Agree, the moran with the hat is the winner....unfortunately!

Don't know about the football world, but people "shaking with rage" is my favourite from JKB World.

Oh, and I'm sure the Rangers fans got up to all sorts when they signed Mo Johnston - although not sure if there was any iconic images of fans burning their sashes or snapping their flutes in two.

IIRC their armchair fans also set their settees on fire.

One thing that I can't get my head round is Keegan resigned, yet the idiot fans are acting like he was sacked. Keegan is a total joke too as it's not as if this is the first time he's bailed out when things get tough.

Archived