creaky floor in new flat

IronJambo

Hey guys, we've been in our new build flat a couple of months short of a year now and our floor has develeped some really annoying creaks in parts.

the builder (bellway) was out to look at it and told my girlfriend that we've caused the creaks by putting a bookcase up. he says its too heavy and has caused something to slip and theres nothing he can do. he suggested moving the bookcase to where we have a sofa (and presumably we should throw our sofa out after that).

basically, i think he's full of BS and i think he's got a huge cheek to try and tell us how to arrange our living room. before i go spouting off at them though i wouldn't mind opinions from folk that might know better.

i can concede that the bookcase is heavy, but its only the height and length of a sofa. surely floors are built to support this? i'm sure many people have bookcases!

should it make a difference that the bookcase isn't against a wall and goes across the room instead? shouldn't we be able to expect the floor to take it anywhere rather than only at strategic points?

Hey guys, we've been in our new build flat a couple of months short of a year now and our floor has develeped some really annoying creaks in parts.

the builder (bellway) was out to look at it and told my girlfriend that we've caused the creaks by putting a bookcase up. he says its too heavy and has caused something to slip and theres nothing he can do. he suggested moving the bookcase to where we have a sofa (and presumably we should throw our sofa out after that).

basically, i think he's full of BS and i think he's got a huge cheek to try and tell us how to arrange our living room. before i go spouting off at them though i wouldn't mind opinions from folk that might know better.

i can concede that the bookcase is heavy, but its only the height and length of a sofa. surely floors are built to support this? i'm sure many people have bookcases!

should it make a difference that the bookcase isn't against a wall and goes across the room instead? shouldn't we be able to expect the floor to take it anywhere rather than only at strategic points?

Asa far as I am aware there is cover for all new builds that lasts for 20 years (Maybe it's 10?). Details on website below. As long as Bellway are part of the following then you are covered.

http://www.nhbc.co.uk/

If anything structurally goes wrong they have to fix it. End of story. I really don't think a heavy bookcase should be any excuse. Unless of course in your sale agreement it specifically stated weight limits for certian areas ?

If not they have to fix it. End of story. Anyway that site has all the details.

I think the fact Bellway are close to bankruptcy may have more to do with this issue....:rolleyes:

http://www.nhbc.co.uk/Claims/Whatiscovered/Answer,31963,en.html#twoyears

"If you discover any defects or damage in the first two years from the date of your Insurance Certificate, you must report these to the builder. The builder must put right any defect or damage to your home, caused by not building to NHBC standards, within a reasonable time scale"

http://www.bellway.co.uk/BottomNav/FrequentlyAskedQuestions/tabid/62/FAQ/FAQDetail/tabid/82/FaqId/37/Default.aspx

What sort of warranty will you provide with my new home?

Your solicitor will give you a copy of the National House-Building Council (NHBC) Buildmark pack when you exchange contracts. Inside you’ll find details of the scheme, including the date on which it becomes effective (the NHBC Ten Year Notice).

The cover offered by the notice has two stages:

"An initial guarantee period which extends for two years from the date of the Ten Year Notice and provides for the putting right of any defect or damage to your home caused by faulty workmanship or materials.

A structural guarantee period which extends for eight years from the end of the initial guarantee period to the expiry of the Ten Year Notice. This insures you against major damage due to a defect in the structure or damage to the drainage system caused by non-compliance with the NHBC’s technical requirements."

:)

Bit of a problem you have and a real sod to fix.

I presume the flat being new has T&G (tongue and grooved) chipboard flooring as most new properties do. Problem normally is either using the wrong nails or not glueing the joints. Indeed the NHBC (National house building council) now require you to screw all flooring although a paslode (nail gun ) is still the normal use IMO.

You are supposed to use what they call annualer ringed nails which basically have ridges on them like screws and this grips the chipboard core but I know through experience many Joiners use whatever is to hand cos they dont fully understand the problems it can cause. If a straight nail is used the squeaking you hear is basically the board moving up and down on the now lossened nail hole. An absolute sod to solve especially if you have services (electrics and plumbing under the floor) and has not been marked accordingly. Not glueing the joints to some extent does this also.

Sorry its not good news and I have no reason to believe the book case could in any way contribute but at least you may have some ammo to confront him with. I would imagine Bellway are NHBC registered so suggest you will call the inspector

Miller Jambo 60

He is talking BS, what is it with builders.

The floor should easily take the weight, as mine can with a large fish tank.

Its new so he should fix any problems.

I know a bit about structural loadings and yes, your flat should have been designed to carry the loadings of a full-height bookcase, never mind a sofa height one.

Sounds like iplacing it where you have, has either dislodged some chipboard fixings elsewhere, or there's not enough bracing in the floor joists to stop movement. Either way, it's not your problem to rectify - speak to someone higher up at Bellway.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
He is talking BS, what is it with builders.

The floor should easily take the weight, as mine can with a large fish tank.

Its new so he should fix any problems.

What are your fish called?

Sorry dont want to bore you on this but be aware the NHBC may not consider your floor as a structural part of ther property. The NHBC warranty which runs for 10 years is a structural warranty and covers structural elments although they do stage inspections and are looking for good standards.

What must be realised is the warranty is nothing more than an insurance policy funded by the member builders or developers. The builder who in this instance is Bellway has a responsability to cover this for the first two years so presuming the property is less than two years after final completion/registration it would be passed back to the builder. There then lies the potential problem as companies at this stage are only as good as the aftercare or maintainance team they have doing the work.

I suggest you start writing letters straight away and throw in a couple of the potential reasons. Should you be able to prove the boards are not screwed I am pretty sure the NHBC will deem this not to have met the current requirements. Dont be shy cos you are only looking after your own interests.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
Miller Jambo 1

Miller Jambo 2

Miller Jambo 3

Miller Jambo 4

Miller Jambo 5

Have you ever slapped a fish?

Have you ever slapped a fish?

Nah no fish slapping. I have whacked a fair few fish heads of the rocks though. Does that count ?

You going to moan at me for 'battering the fish'..

:)

Bit of a problem you have and a real sod to fix.

I presume the flat being new has T&G (tongue and grooved) chipboard flooring as most new properties do. Problem normally is either using the wrong nails or not glueing the joints. Indeed the NHBC (National house building council) now require you to screw all flooring although a paslode (nail gun ) is still the normal use IMO.

You are supposed to use what they call annualer ringed nails which basically have ridges on them like screws and this grips the chipboard core but I know through experience many Joiners use whatever is to hand cos they dont fully understand the problems it can cause. If a straight nail is used the squeaking you hear is basically the board moving up and down on the now lossened nail hole. An absolute sod to solve especially if you have services (electrics and plumbing under the floor) and has not been marked accordingly. Not glueing the joints to some extent does this also.

Sorry its not good news and I have no reason to believe the book case could in any way contribute but at least you may have some ammo to confront him with. I would imagine Bellway are NHBC registered so suggest you will call the inspector

Joiners use whatever is to hand cos they dont fully understand the problems it can cause!!! .If this is true then they are not joiners.I,ve worked on Bellway jobs recently and its the subfloors that are the problem. The majority of problems in new builds are down to pricework. Oh and the NHBC guarentee isn't worth a sook.

Although I agree with much that has been said here, I do not agree that getting in touch with the NHBC will solve your problems. By all means contact them, but remember who pays for their very existence. I would recommend contacting the HQ of Bellway ( the MD preferably) in order to establish your complaint. Send your letter recorded delivery and keep a copy for yourself. Give them a timescale to at least reply to your letter (10-14 working days should be ample). Copy the letter at that time to the NHBC. If they do not reply to your letter within your chosen time(remember it must be reasonable), I would consider the Small Claims Court. You may have to get someone else in to sort out your problems and you may have to initially pay them, but if your joiner/witness can say the floor was laid incorrectly and give the reasons why you should win your case. Sounds simple..............

Although I agree with much that has been said here, I do not agree that getting in touch with the NHBC will solve your problems. By all means contact them, but remember who pays for their very existence. I would recommend contacting the HQ of Bellway ( the MD preferably) in order to establish your complaint. Send your letter recorded delivery and keep a copy for yourself. Give them a timescale to at least reply to your letter (10-14 working days should be ample). Copy the letter at that time to the NHBC. If they do not reply to your letter within your chosen time(remember it must be reasonable), I would consider the Small Claims Court. You may have to get someone else in to sort out your problems and you may have to initially pay them, but if your joiner/witness can say the floor was laid incorrectly and give the reasons why you should win your case. Sounds simple..............

So is this housebuilders taking the **** yet again ?

Archived