Gordon, Smith, Niemi or Rousset.

JamboMarc

Gordon, Smith, Niemi or Rousset  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Gordon, Smith, Niemi or Rousset

Well after the last couple of polls how about one on our great goalkeepers!

For me, Niemi or Gordon, too young to have seen Smith play.

Geoff Kilpatrick

How far back do you want to take it? Jim Cruickshank, Jack Harkness?

Anyway, for me it's Antti Niemi.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Gordon was truly incredible and a top Jambo.

One strange memory I have of Gordon is a game against Killie (?) at Tynecastle when he nearly knocked Andy Webster out for a bad backpass. Wish he did.

Say What Again

Henry was a great servant to Hearts but wasn't in the same class as Gordon or Niemi.

CG's save from Rob Jones at ER was possibly the best I've seen in a Hearts jersey considering the match time and score.

We also got a fantastic fee for him - which he ensured we received.

.... so, that makes it bizarre I'm voting for Antti Niemi. :P

Big Gilles - while a cult hero - wasn't as good as CG or AN.

Charlie-Brown

Henry Smith's save from Tommy Coyne against Celtic at tynecastle was the most amazing save I've ever seen from a Hearts goalkeeper, it tipped the game in our favour and we went on to win 3-1 in a memorable victory.

Henry Smith's save from Tommy Coyne against Celtic at tynecastle was the most amazing save I've ever seen from a Hearts goalkeeper, it tipped the game in our favour and we went on to win 3-1 in a memorable victory.

Yeah I'll never forget that one - kinda changed direction in mid-air didn't he? Probably Henry's best season actually.

Overall here I'd agree with Niemi just shading it from Gordon, who might go onto become better in time, but looking at how both of them were at Hearts, Niemi was indeed the finished article and just shades it.

Niemi was brilliant keeper but for me, Gordon was world class. That save against Motherwell will live long in the memory. That video doesn't do justice to how fast the ball was moving from such close range. How he got to it I'll never know.

loveofthegame
Apologies if this alters peoples voting

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SEWHEKs4d4s&feature=related

What an incredible video, gives me goosebumps everytime. Love it.

I voted CG by a whisker from Niemi.

I don't think i'll see the quality of saves made by CG ever again by a Hearts keeper. The save against Motherwell in the last second is still the best i've ever seen, imo.

Also the saves from Jones, Ricksen(was it Ricksen, think it was?), Sparta treble save, amongst many others.

The fact he was a diehard Jambo and won the SC with us seals it.

Legend is overused, but we'll be talking about CG for the rest of our lives. Glad i can say i followed Hearts everywhere at a time when we had him in goals.

Special mentions to cup hero Gilles (forever another legend) and Niemi who was outstanding(certainly a better goalie than Gilles).

I'm a bit young for Henry Smith, although did see him in my younger years.

(ps i hope Cut the Crap has his tongue firmly in his cheek with the comment on not holding many)

Has to be Niemi as Gordon still has one major shortcoming - his decision making. Whereas Niemi was pretty solid all round.

I wouldn't say Henry was a fantastic keeper too as I remember a few howlers, but he's a hero nevertheless. In fact so much so, that my nickname was Henry when I was younger as I always wanted to be Henry whilst playing fitba as a nipper.

darn

Clicked Rousset instead of Gordon, my criteria was that we won Scottish Cups with both.

Which is why I hoovered over Rousett then clicked. Both are legends to me though.

It has to be Gordon, though on balance, as - due to the penaly shoot out his keeping more directly won us silverware - I also think he was key to our second spot.

Tough choice between the two though

Walter Bishop

Henry for a around a season and a half 87-88? was the best in Britain imo!!

I will never forget a save he pulled off at the gorgie end from a Tommy Coyne header, twisted in mid air to tip it over the bar!!! Legend!!

Henry for a around a season and a half 87-88? was the best in Britain imo!!

I will never forget a save he pulled off at the gorgie end from a Tommy Coyne header, twisted in mid air to tip it over the bar!!! Legend!!

Smith was a brilliant player, leader and character for us. I remember a much-postponed Scottish Cup 3rd round tie at Hamilton in 1986 where they pounded us for the entire 90 minutes but came up against a keeper having the game of his life. We sneaked away with a 2-1 win that was almost entirely attributable to him. I also remember standing at the School End during a 4-1 thrashing of Dundee United when Henry made a goalline save and proceeded to show the ball to the fans, holding it in the palm of his hand like a waiter. His ave from Coyne was one of those very rare moments that literally take your breath away. His gaffes only added to his legend.

I voted Niemi purely because I think we saw him at his best in the peak of his career at Tynecastle. Craig Gordon made some incredible stops and was approaching Niemis class when he left. Big Giles was the first really big goalkeeper I saw who was actually agile, was probably slightly past his peak when he joined us but was still a fantastic keeper. Henry was a favourite of mine when I was younger but he was prone to the odd lapse in concentration and his kicking was poor. Still a great keeper for us and made soe great stops.

Snake Plissken

Like a lot of others Antti got my vote because he was at his peak at Hearts and had a worse defence in front of him (for the most part). Gordon will be better than Niemi was in a few years but the criteria was for time in a Heats shirt which is why Antti gets the nod from me.

Tough, tough question but I opted for Niemi just because he has already been down to England and proved he is a top quality 'keeper year in year out.

Can't take anything away from Gordon though. Class player, class guy.

Smith , While Gordon and Niemi are Technically better , Henrys shut out stats I think are 1 in 3 which im pretty sure will beas good if not better than CG or AN also this was over 15-16 years , which is 3 or 4 times the period the others acheived .

and as for the mistakes I can think of about 10 ( big ones ) over 16 years aint so bad , even CG and AN made one a season !!

And finally the teams they played in .... AN - medium , CG - some medium , one good

HS - 2 or 3 good teams and some real pesh .

So step forward Henry !!!!

The Old Tolbooth

Craig for me, Antti has never been the most expensive keeper in British history, to me that says something.

Antti was a very close second however.

Rudolf's Mate
think niemi just shades it for me at the moment

think gordon will go on to become a better keeper than niemi

I agree with you on that however I have voted Niemi simply because I'm voting for performances in a Hearts jersey.

No offence, but putting Smith in the same poll as Gordon and Niemi is like comparing Elliott to Kaka. IMO.

Difficult that because Smith was in goal from 1982 to 1994 with a couple of imposters trying to edge their way in such as Nicky Walker and Craig Nelson. Rousset from 95-2000, Niemi 98-2001, Gordon 2004-2007. In terms of appearances, Smith wins hands down but if your talking best overall keeper........probably Niemi. We've been very lucky with our keepers really from 82 to 2007, shame the Hibs can't say the same :) :107years:

Where's the Kurskis option?

Sorry, should have added him with Ma Kalamby, McNeil and Zibi. In fact that could be a poll in itself!

Had to go for Henry simply because he was my hero growing up and meeting him for the first time last year in hospitality made me feel about 5 again (A pretty drunk 5yr old it has to be said)!!

4 great keepers, and 2 of them who could honestly be described as top class.

Gordon just shades it over Antti for me but only by ballhairs.

All 4 were excellent goalkeepers for us, and all 4 were and are great ambassadors for the club. I think that Rousset was the weakest goalie of the 4 but what a tremendous guy he is. Was great to see him back playing at Tynecastle this summer. Smith next on the list. Tremendous longevity and a goalie capable of brilliant saves.

Next for me Niemi who on his day could be really special. Only limitation in his game was cross balls - he didn't come for them. I still can't believe that Rangers passed him on to us.

But best of all Craig Gordon. Truly special player. And one of us, the fans, too. So many brilliant performances - Bordeaux away for one. But my favourite memory of him is his reaction after the Zaliukas goal and the final whistle in the party spoiled game at Easter Road. He felt the same as any of us behind the goals.

jack D and coke
What an amazing video...:P

Some cracking saves from Antti in this video.

Some unbelievable stops there. We've been blessed with keepers thats for sure. I'll never forget the way Niemi used to make those saves with his chest. Used to take the full force of some rasping shots. Brilliant cat.

Some unbelievable stops there. We've been blessed with keepers thats for sure. I'll never forget the way Niemi used to make those saves with his chest. Used to take the full force of some rasping shots. Brilliant cat.

That save against Celtic was something special. It was that good he showed it about 10 times.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
All 4 were excellent goalkeepers for us, and all 4 were and are great ambassadors for the club. I think that Rousset was the weakest goalie of the 4 but what a tremendous guy he is. Was great to see him back playing at Tynecastle this summer. Smith next on the list. Tremendous longevity and a goalie capable of brilliant saves.

Next for me Niemi who on his day could be really special. Only limitation in his game was cross balls - he didn't come for them. I still can't believe that Rangers passed him on to us.

But best of all Craig Gordon. Truly special player. And one of us, the fans, too. So many brilliant performances - Bordeaux away for one. But my favourite memory of him is his reaction after the Zaliukas goal and the final whistle in the party spoiled game at Easter Road. He felt the same as any of us behind the goals.

That was special. We had been absolutely gash and were in for a hiding from the Hobos (LOL)

The look on his face after the game was brilliant. Proper Jambo.

Yeah I'll never forget that one - kinda changed direction in mid-air didn't he? Probably Henry's best season actually.

Overall here I'd agree with Niemi just shading it from Gordon, who might go onto become better in time, but looking at how both of them were at Hearts, Niemi was indeed the finished article and just shades it.

Definitely his best season (91-92 under Jordan). Nicky Walker was first choice from the end of the previous season but fractured his cheekbone pre season so Henry was put back in.

He ended up getting back into the Scotland squad and going to Euro 92 in Sweden as second choice to Goram. There we only two keepers in the squad and I remember at the time the great Ronnie Simpson saying that Henry should be first choice on the back of the season he had. As usual......deaf ears...

Henry all the way for me............

Gordon for me. Niemi was brilliant but got the chance to make more great saves behind some of the jokers in front of him. Gordon was worth more points to us in my opinion.

Gilles and Smith also superb, and big Gilles in the 98 cup final was my favourite ever goalkeeping display.

Archived