Go on one more time, you know you want to....

Captain Scarlett

Captain Scarlett

When you watch this i want your feelings at the time. If remembered.

I was there with my dad and was only 13 years old. At full time as the mighty Hearts were lifting the cup my dad was crying, i turned and said "Dad why are you crying?" He replied "your so lucky son, you have seen Hearts win the scottish cup at such a young age, I've endured 40 years of pain" Truly magical.

I was there with my dad and was only 13 years old. At full time as the mighty Hearts were lifting the cup my dad was crying, i turned and said "Dad why are you crying?" He replied "your so lucky son, you have seen Hearts win the scottish cup at such a young age, I've endured 40 years of pain" Truly magical.

Know how your dad feels nothing but nothing could be as good as that day and the whole weekend it turned out to be well worth the wait!!!!!

scottish_chicP

Almost the same story. I was 12 and pretty much had the same conversation with my dad except his was 30 years.

Captain Scarlett
Almost the same story. I was 12 and pretty much had the same conversation with my dad except his was 30 years.

What made it good also was the fact he said he probly wouldnt see them lift it again and then 2006 came along. I still say 98 was better than 06.

I've got butterflies in my knotted stomach as I type!

Fantastic day.

Having experienced that partly explains why struggling to beat Gretna felt like such a letdown.

Generic Username

I was just a nipper, 13 years of age on that glorious day but it'll stay with me for the rest of my life. Meant so much more than the cup win a couple of seasons back.

Absolutely tremendous day. It's days like that that make years of medicority and off field nonsense worth the wait. Unless we were to do the unthinkable and win the league, I'm not sure anything would come close to the euphoria I felt that day.

scottish_chicP
What made it good also was the fact he said he probly wouldnt see them lift it again and then 2006 came along. I still say 98 was better than 06.

Yeah I know. Although it was better in 06 cos I got to get really drunk :)

Captain Scarlett

I also remember seriously kacking my pants when McCoist came on. Then when he scored that was the longest 10 mins of my life. I also had more kack in my pants when McCoist was fouled late on just outside the box and every1 (including myself) thought they had a penalty.

Ally Alexander

Wardie-Wardie,

Is your surname Wardropper by any chance? The reason I ask is that I was at the 1962 league Cup Final with my best mate from primary school, Robert Wardropper, known as Wardie, and his dad. If we had know the years of hurt to follow we may not have left before John Cumming lifted the cup but Wardie's dad wanted to try and make a quick get-away. Always felt we were being disrepectful but as it was ****ing down we didn't complain too much.

In 1965, I gave my fairly extensive programme collection, my football monthlies and scrapbooks to his younger brother.

Captain Scarlett
Yeah I know. Although it was better in 06 cos I got to get really drunk :)

I do agree on that one hahaha.

Captain Scarlett
Wardie-Wardie,

Is your surname Wardropper by any chance? The reason I ask is that I was at the 1962 league Cup Final with my best mate from primary school, Robert Wardropper, known as Wardie, and his dad. If we had know the years of hurt to follow we may not have left before John Cumming lifted the cup but Wardie's dad wanted to try and make a quick get-away. Always felt we were being disrepectful but as it was ****ing down we didn't complain too much.

In 1965, I gave my fairly extensive programme collection, my football monthlies and scrapbooks to his younger brother.

Unfortunately not, sorry, my surname is just Ward.

Having experienced that partly explains why struggling to beat Gretna felt like such a letdown.
Sums up how I felt .v. Gretna, too. Still got well peshed, tho.

Toxteth O'Grady

Full credit to Fulton for his have a go attitude at the start of the game.

Great penalty by Cameron

Even better goal by Adam

A scary longest ever 10 mins at the end of that match, followed by the greatest feeling ever.

That was the best day ever in the history of the universe.

Captain Scarlett
Full credit to Fulton for his have a go attitude at the start of the game.

Great penalty by Cameron

Even better goal by Adam

A scary longest ever 10 mins at the end of that match, followed by the greatest feeling ever.

That was the best day ever in the history of the universe.

Couldnt agree more my friend you have nailed it.

Brilliant great pick me up! One thing I noticed, but had forgotten about was when Fulton first picks up the ball after kick off, Ferguson hacks him to the ground with a late tackle. Once Fulton runs into the pen box, it's Ferguson again plus a.n.other that give away the pen. Watch Fulton as the camera follows him back. What is he saying? "Arse----", I wonder to who?

BEST DAY AS A JAMBO EVER

couldnt go as i had work but rushed home to watch it on tv,lost my voice shouting as the goals went in i`m sure my whole street figured who was winning by my voice :)

Brilliant way to spend my 18th birthday! Trully amazing day, much better than 2006 which to me, having experienced 98, was a bit of a let down. Sounds strange saying that...

Wardie-Wardie,

I was also there mate.:) 14yrs old at the time, you're right about the weather, it was absolutely 'bucketing down.' Just about collapsed when killie had the ball in the net in the last minute! But thankfully it wasn't given due to a hand being used. Never thought i'dhave to wait 36yrs for another trophy!

J.T.F.Robertson
I was also there mate.:) 14yrs old at the time, you're right about the weather, it was absolutely 'bucketing down.' Just about collapsed when killie had the ball in the net in the last minute! But thankfully it wasn't given due to a hand being used. Never thought i'dhave to wait 36yrs for another trophy!

Me tae. My brother and I drove through with a schoolmate and his dad, in one of those "cars" with the single wheel at the front.

I'm convinced my since acquired tinnitus, stems from that journey. :rolleyes:

SectionDJambo

98 was brilliant because of the wait and previous multiple suffering we had.

06 was brilliant, but mainly because of the semi.

On both occasions, it was torture towards the end.

Not wishing to be greedy, but if we get back again in my lifetime, it would be nice to tie things up by half time, so that we can actually enjoy the game.

Then again, I became convinced it would never happen for me, so the torture was worth it.

My sons are lucky wee sods to have seen it twice before they left school.

:107years:

What a feeling watching that again. I was 14 and there with my Auld man who was reduced to tears. The crowds in princes St and Gorgie where truely amazing and the weather was a scorcher. 98 eclipses the 06 win due to the long wait for a trophy. I can't wait till we do it again, i feel it in my water we won't wait too long :)

Graham Thomson

Loved watching that again, what a weekend, glorious sunshine, oh my god that last 10 mins, myself and my late brother, spent half of it in the loo, couldnt bear to watch after they scored, along with 100s of Hearts fans, Glasgow copper said, whats wrong wi u lot, the cups yours, we said this is Hearts mate. walking from the ground cuddling total strangers, amazing weekend.

OMG Just realised it was 10 bloody years ago :eek:

Feels like was last weekend. Where does the time go :sad:

TEN YEARS, Bloody hell, I better get the hame, the Mrs is going to go mental, I only thought I'd been out a couple of hours!

What a feeling watching that again. I was 14 and there with my Auld man who was reduced to tears. The crowds in princes St and Gorgie where truely amazing and the weather was a scorcher. 98 eclipses the 06 win due to the long wait for a trophy. I can't wait till we do it again, i feel it in my water we won't wait too long :)

Hope your right mate. I`ll take a win in any way it comes, extra time, pens v Gretna etc... but i`d love us to go back to Hampden and win in 90 mins versus Celtic or Aberdeen, it`s a dream of mine.

Why? a) Celtic are just one club i`d really really love to beat in a cup final. The day they celebrated in 1986 still haunts me and they`re such a lucky team at times.

b)Aberdeen are really pi ssin g me off bigtime just now. Can`t stand Calderwood and every season he says The Sheep are going to do this and that. He also hates an underhand dig at us and there`s plenty envy from him too.

Truly fantastic day 1998, overwhelming in a football sense.

What a fantastic weekend.

Some of us thought we would never live to see it, especially when the familiar script appeared to be written as McCoist went down awaiting his penalty.....

Weirdest part was not knowing what to do when we eventually left Celtic Park - we only knew how to console ourselves after cup finals.... this was new. But we learned quick....:)

A fantastic weekend.

Greatest weekend of my life.

I' like to apologise to the 5 year old boy standing along from me whom I started calling a "lucky wee B*******" for seeing Hearts win the Cup at his first game.

I was a bit emotional:booze:

How good was Adam? If only we had a guy of that class just now.

Fantastic day, wasn't the game... was invited up to my blue-nosed mates house (rather cynically and patronisingly as only the Old Firm against Hearts can manage.!!) so took my 18 cans of Mcewans lager with me...

His girlfriends brother was in with a couple of pals who weren't into football and at final whistle tried to change channell.. He stopped mid buttons when I picked him up to throw him out the window screaming oaths about lifting the cup etc!! FAF..

After presentation etc we went to the local, Parafin lamp in livi.. I've NEVER seen it so deserted, utterly silent. Chuffed as feck to be a jambo!

After several celebratory/condoling pints I made my home..

No-one in my street knew I was a Jambo..... Until that night!! Woke them all up singing and trampling their gardens... fantastic.

Adam, one of the best Hearts players in the modern era bar none.

As an aside, I remember another goal he scored against Rangers.. At Ibrox I believe, going AWAY from goal, about 25 yards out, turns and volleys ball into net.. Orange Bob said of it.. "An absolute ****ing peach..!)

Exactly the same (I think), but I was 10.

Best day ever. Only game I can watch in my head whenever I want.

I also remember seriously kacking my pants when McCoist came on. Then when he scored that was the longest 10 mins of my life. I also had more kack in my pants when McCoist was fouled late on just outside the box and every1 (including myself) thought they had a penalty.

Thats one of my most vivid memories of the game strangely, I remember seeing Willie Young pointing thinking it was a penalty and as he got closer to the box his hand began to lower till he was pointing to the edge of the box, I celebrated that almost as much as the goals as thats when I knew it was our day.

My brother still reminds me he had his head in his hands and all he heard was me shouting '****** me he's given a ******ing free kick'

Happy days, 06 was good as it meant we had something to show for that season but 98 was getting the monkey off our back, revenge for 96 and knowing that Robbo finally got his medal.

Paisley Jambo
OMG Just realised it was 10 bloody years ago :eek:

Feels like was last weekend. Where does the time go :sad:

Yip hard to believe.

What a day!

Didn't get ticket for 2006, so the one and only time my Dad and I have seen Hearts lift a trophy.

What a fantastic weekend.

Some of us thought we would never live to see it, especially when the familiar script appeared to be written as McCoist went down awaiting his penalty.....

Weirdest part was not knowing what to do when we eventually left Celtic Park - we only knew how to console ourselves after cup finals.... this was new. But we learned quick....:)

A fantastic weekend.

that's my memory too milling about afterwards saying "what do we do now?" Spike sorley missed :)

My dad saying "what will you do with the kids?" me saying "the wife will take them home, me and my brothers are going to gorgie" old amn's reply "seen it several times it's nothing specail" he's not known as Victor in the family for nowt. getting refused service in the Abbotsford for having team colours on. Getting the last train home pished and two huns saying "never a penalty!" retort "EVEN BETTER" with smug smile. Stopping for more beer on the way home even though I didn't need it. driving through theh next day. Being outside merchie hearts for the bus. Champagne in Fettes Row at 7:30 am on Monday morning doing no work all day and spending 4 hour lunch in the beer Garden at the Cumberland. Better go before I come over all nostalgic

that's my memory too milling about afterwards saying "what do we do now?" Spike sorley missed :)

My dad saying "what will you do with the kids?" me saying "the wife will take them home, me and my brothers are going to gorgie" old amn's reply "seen it several times it's nothing specail" he's not known as Victor in the family for nowt. getting refused service in the Abbotsford for having team colours on. Getting the last train home pished and two huns saying "never a penalty!" retort "EVEN BETTER" with smug smile. Stopping for more beer on the way home even though I didn't need it. driving through theh next day. Being outside merchie hearts for the bus. Champagne in Fettes Row at 7:30 am on Monday morning doing no work all day and spending 4 hour lunch in the beer Garden at the Cumberland. Better go before I come over all nostalgic

Ours was much the same, we hadn't a clue how to celebrate on the way home, well not until we got to Calder Road and the people were out of their houses but what hit home the most was when we passed the fire station and the guys were out (christ this is hard work, the tears will be flowing in a moment) cheering us on, that's when it finally hit home that we had actually won it, then came Gorgie Road and the rest as they say...........ach the dvd is going on.......might be late in tomorrow.

****ing hell I'm on the verge of tears watching that!

I cried that day! Tears of pure unadulterated joy!

:)

That day will never be bettered bar us winning the league.

Jeez, seems such a long time ago now.

Standing on the wall outside the Armillan Hearts that night with a pint in my hand just taking everything in.

Probably the proudest i've ever felt in my life.

Our city, our area, our team, our time.

That day will never be bettered bar us winning the league.

Jeez, seems such a long time ago now.

Standing on the wall outside the Armillan Hearts that night with a pint in my hand just taking everything in.

Probably the proudest i've ever felt in my life.

Our city, our area, our team, our time.

So excruciating. 90 minutes away from saying you`ve seen yer team win the league, really hard to take.

But, 1998 is probably as close as you can get to feeling like you`ve won a league.

36 years without a trophy, the emotional rollercoaster of 90 minutes football, the mental turmoil of 1986 hanging over us, doubts in our minds if we`ll hang on, 2-1 and Willie Young blows that whistle.................felt like a whole season in one day!

Apart from the birth of my daughter I would say that day was the best of my life, no exageration it was just amazing. I often forget that the filth from the Lochend went down the same season, couldn't have been any better.

Having been through all the nearly times of the mid - late eighties and early 90's it was a day many of us had long dreamed but never felt would happen. Got severe sunstroke being down the front of the stand but christ it was worth it!

Having been at the '56 Final (9 years old)

The '62 League Cup Final in the pouring rain, when I ruined my brand new white James Bond Shorty Raincoat with my Maroon Rosette

Having been at every Final defeat until '98

Having been at 2006

1998 was the best by a country mile!!!

I was only 12 at the time too, same as someone else said, only game I can remember in my head whenever I want, keeps me going in the dark times! I remember my old man turning to me and saying 'son, I've waited.40 years for this, so not sure we'll be going back to essex anytime soon' he had tears streaming down his face, and I did too. Only partly cos he did, when that happened, it really hit home to me that all those 8 hour car journeys from essex were worth it, and we'd done it to be there for that day. I remember just being shellshocked. We drove back through the night on sunday after the parade, and I think I cried with happiness the whole way home. I remember getting home, and my dad saying to my mum '**** marrying you, **** the kids being born, that was the best day of my life' - my mum just laughed!

And there was a 12 year old bo y wearing a beaming smile and a hearts scarf at an essex school the next day, and no one made me take it off, they knew!

06 was great as I appreciated more what was going on, but nothing will match 1998.

Archived