Mechanical Engineering

Kendal Jambo

I got AAB in Mathematics, Economics and French and a c at As Physics. I'm looking at applying to

Kings College London, UCL, Sheffield, Nottingham & Warwick.

Although the courses do not require physics at a-level, do you think that will be case? Also which Uni would you recommend as I think all have their positives. Eg/ KCL prestigious.. Warwick links with industry..

IDEAS! Thank you

Mechanical Engineering is a big part of my degree, and while I dont think physics was a necessity, (was 3 years ago though so I may be wrong) it certainly helps to begin with.

You will be taught the basics anyway, but a background in this already would be beneficial.

If you're not sure, phone the unis to ask.

Mechanical Engineering is a big part of my degree, and while I dont think physics was a necessity, (was 3 years ago though so I may be wrong) it certainly helps to begin with.

You will be taught the basics anyway, but a background in this already would be beneficial.

If you're not sure, phone the unis to ask.

cheers! i'm pretty sure i should be ok as I have AS physics and I did some applied maths as part of A-level mathematics.

Do you think it's a good industry to go into? I've done plenty of research and there seems to be lots of opportunities.

cheers! i'm pretty sure i should be ok as I have AS physics and I did some applied maths as part of A-level mathematics.

Do you think it's a good industry to go into? I've done plenty of research and there seems to be lots of opportunities.

My cousin graduated from mech eng at Strathclyde a few years ago, and is now working in the oil industry. Seems to be making a decent wedge.

I'm only doing it through necessity, my degree is in Product Design, but mech eng is included in that. Its interesting at times but at others its a bit dull. For me anyway. I havent really looked into the industry though, as its not something I plan on going into, at that level anyway.

Uni wise I'd say either of the London unis are a safe bet, but I'm not sure I'd fancy being a broke(ish) student in London. I'd pick Warwick out of the remaining three on rep and the quality of the graduates I've seen from there (Nottingham's alright but most grads from there strike me as distinctly average... though it's a small sample admittedly). Never met a grad from Sheffield... which maybe says something on its own.

Career wise you could do very well for yourself -- a shortage of trained engineers is a massive problems facing the oil and gas industry, especially in coming years with many of their experienced employees set to retire with limited numbers coming through to plug the gaps. You won't quite be naming your price, but not far off if that's the area you go into.

Captain Sausage

I am a Mech Eng student at Strathclyde.

Got a friend in UCL. I think it depends on what you want. If you want to live in the stench that is Weegieville, Strath is fine. London is apparently great fun but unbelievably expensive. Uni wise, Strath is top in Scotland but a bit behind some of the English ones. The Independant releases a list of the top universities for different subjects. Worth checking that out.

Not another useless student coming into the industry,all the qualifications and no practical experience...e.g. unable to put a nut in a monkeys mooth.

Ive worked with 100's of them so I fully understand the situation,before anyone tries to defend them:)

This reference is to the Oil and Gas industry only!

Uni wise I'd say either of the London unis are a safe bet, but I'm not sure I'd fancy being a broke(ish) student in London. I'd pick Warwick out of the remaining three on rep and the quality of the graduates I've seen from there (Nottingham's alright but most grads from there strike me as distinctly average... though it's a small sample admittedly). Never met a grad from Sheffield... which maybe says something on its own.

Career wise you could do very well for yourself -- a shortage of trained engineers is a massive problems facing the oil and gas industry, especially in coming years with many of their experienced employees set to retire with limited numbers coming through to plug the gaps. You won't quite be naming your price, but not far off if that's the area you go into.

Agreed, esp. if you are interested in working on contract or overseas.

Not another useless student coming into the industry,all the qualifications and no practical experience...e.g. unable to put a nut in a monkeys mooth.

Ive worked with 100's of them so I fully understand the situation,before anyone tries to defend them:)

nah nah nah! sorry that's not me;). I completely understand what your saying though! However its hard choosing the right university which will have the combine the practical and theory, and has a good reputation and isn't full of w******.

Also going to uni seems the only way to get anywhere, ive looked at years in industry but there's very little.

No doubt this is a fair gripe, but the problem the industry phases is that there are not enough people in between the old hands who are set to retire, and the fresh blood who have no clue. Still, everyone has to get experience somehow.

Just stumbled across this thread. I am currently employed as a Principal Mechanical Engineer with SelexGalileo (Ferranti at Crewe Toll !!). My course (many moons ago) was classed as a sandwich degree which meant you had two six month spells in industry which was certainly beneficial, I take it these don't exist anymore. Only advice I can give is once you've qualified pick a company with recognised training schemes in order to get yourself chartered. Don't stay too long in one place/industry as you will find yourself pidgeon holed (believe me after 17 years in the defence industry I know). Good luck

Just stumbled across this thread. I am currently employed as a Principal Mechanical Engineer with SelexGalileo (Ferranti at Crewe Toll !!). My course (many moons ago) was classed as a sandwich degree which meant you had two six month spells in industry which was certainly beneficial, I take it these don't exist anymore. Only advice I can give is once you've qualified pick a company with recognised training schemes in order to get yourself chartered. Don't stay too long in one place/industry as you will find yourself pidgeon holed (believe me after 17 years in the defence industry I know). Good luck

Cheers:) There's actually a few courses where you can do a "year in placement" inbetween the third and fourth year which are quite tempting.. Recommended?

The "sandwich" style course certainly worked for me as I ended up working full time with one of the companies when I graduated. I would say it would depend on how many industry contacts the educational institution has. When I was going through this, Dundee College (now Abertay Uni) had a wide variety of contacts which meant that obtaining a placement was not too difficult. I would hope this would be the case with institutions today otherwise you could find yourself under pressure to find one yourself. Not the ideal situation

however you do sort of know a Principal Engineer at SelexGalileo !!!

Unfortunately I do not recommend the defence industry at this time

Archived