Camp America

wilson_hmfc

Hi guys, I am looking to do Camp America next summer was just wondering if anyone on here has done it and if they enjoyed it and would reccommend it or any helpful hints and advice would be much appreciated.

Wilson

Hi guys, I am looking to do Camp America next summer was just wondering if anyone on here has done it and if they enjoyed it and would reccommend it or any helpful hints and advice would be much appreciated.

Wilson

My brother done it about 10-12 years ago...Working with Handicapped kids, He loved it, but was traing to be a teacher so this sort of helped him!

It's hard work, Not really paid either, Just some expenses at the end of the 6 weeks!!

Don't treat it like a holiday, he said it was hard work, Early starts, late finishes and NO Booze...Well not were he was!

Enjoy...:)

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

I done it this summer mate. Tynie b is correct in all he says!

PM me if you have any questions.

My bro did it two years on the trot I think, up in Maine and in Florida too. Had a great time, around 10yrs or so ago. Worth it I'd say, just don't watch Friday the 13th before you head out ;)

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Did it 4 years in a row from 1998

Had the best time and made a load of lifetime mates.

It was hard hard work. i worked on a sports camp for rich jewish kids, so i was a waterski instructor by day and daddy day care by night looking after ten 13 year olds.

I went here http://www.camplenox.com If youre into sports its great, as they look favourably on non USA workers as we arent as lazy as american college kids.

PM me for my real name if you fancy going there (i've recommended a few people), it's a mixed camp so there are a load of female staff too and a bar down the road you can frequent on nights off (as long as you screw the nut)

I did it 20 years ago and still see friends from USA and New Zealand as well as some English folk. I am trying to convince my daughters to do it as it is fantastic life experience. I was a lifeguard and therefore didn't have to work at night which was great. Worked in upstate New York and want to take my family back one day. JUST DO IT!

Didn't do Camp America, but did go over one Summer to work using a BUNAC visa. I thought this was class as you could choose where you wanted to live and work. You get dropped in New York, get one nights accomodation then that's you, America's your oyster!

I did camp america about 10 years ago. Worked as a lifeguard, had the best summer ever and met some friends for life. They do quite a lot of recruitment fairs in the UK, they are pretty good as you can meet the camp directors in person before signing up. If you have any questions just PM me.

It's a no-brainer, do it. I did a few years ago and it was the best experience of my life. You'll have a ball at camp, secure in the knowledge that as well as having a brilliant time you're actually doing something constructive with the kids. Then there's the opportunity to travel afterwards. I did 7 weeks at camp then spent the rest of the time travelling up and down the East coast. Fabulous. I urge you not to pass the chance up.

My main tip? It helps if you're single. Young English girls really like a Scottish accent. Knoworramean?!!

Did the boy camp leaders and the girl camp leaders get to, em, Mix?

They sure did, that was the best part about working on the waterfront, loads of lovely American lifeguards to keep you entertained.

My daughter did Camp America during the summer of 2007.

Camp was at a place called Danbee (about 3.5 hrs drive from Boston)

She said it was really hard work to start with (some of the kids were just spoilt brats, and for one 9 year old it was the first time she had been away from her parents - howled the place down for the first 2 weeks! )

Has made some good friends when she was there with others who were doing CA (inc a girl from New Zealand)

She did mention that if she was doing it again to bypass the normal employment/appointment route, as more money can be made. Meaning others don't get a cut.

I can't ask her exactly what she means by this as she is currently on holiday in Tunisia, just a recollection I have she said something along these lines.

If you want any further info. PM me, and I'll check with my daughter when she is back home on Tuesday next week.

• 4 months later...
Carl Weathers

I'm finishing Uni' in May and looking for something decent to do. I have no ambitions of being a teacher or anything like that but this sounds like a great experience.

Do you need any particular skills before you can apply? I.e. outdoor activities training?

What sort of stuff do they get you to do?

Did it 4 years in a row from 1998

Had the best time and made a load of lifetime mates.

It was hard hard work. i worked on a sports camp for rich jewish kids, so i was a waterski instructor by day and daddy day care by night looking after ten 13 year olds.

I went here http://www.camplenox.com If youre into sports its great, as they look favourably on non USA workers as we arent as lazy as american college kids.

PM me for my real name if you fancy going there (i've recommended a few people), it's a mixed camp so there are a load of female staff too and a bar down the road you can frequent on nights off (as long as you screw the nut)

I was Camp Greylock! What was the bar you went to? Was it in the middle of nowhere?

I did the BUNAC thing. It’s worth looking into that rather than the camp, as the work visa you get is (was) for multiple jobs and if you don't like what you’re doing you can jack it in and find another one. You apply for the first job in advance from a book full of employers and once you get a job promise (which everyone does), you get the visa issued. It lasts three - six months and you could work anywhere in the states.

I worked for about 12 weeks and travelled for 3. It was a blast.

Beats the hell out of spending the summer in this country.

I'm finishing Uni' in May and looking for something decent to do. I have no ambitions of being a teacher or anything like that but this sounds like a great experience.

Do you need any particular skills before you can apply? I.e. outdoor activities training?

What sort of stuff do they get you to do?

What he said. I still have another 2 and a half years of uni left but would love to go at some point.

go to the camp america jobs fairs, you get to know what the camp is all about. its important to go to a camp that you agree with their ethos.

Didn't do Camp America, but did go over one Summer to work using a BUNAC visa. I thought this was class as you could choose where you wanted to live and work. You get dropped in New York, get one nights accomodation then that's you, America's your oyster!

You need to be a student to get the BUNAC visa right?

Carl Weathers
go to the camp america jobs fairs, you get to know what the camp is all about. its important to go to a camp that you agree with their ethos.

There's a meeting next week which I will attend.

This could save my summer!:laugh:

For anyone who's done this in the past, how did you arrange your travelling afterwards?

Did you just leave it until you were there and find other people to go with or did you organise it on your own or what?

I've got my place all sorted through BUNAC Camp America (or whatever it is they call it) and now need to fill in a flight form basically stating what date I want to come back on.

For anyone who's done this in the past, how did you arrange your travelling afterwards?

Did you just leave it until you were there and find other people to go with or did you organise it on your own or what?

I've got my place all sorted through BUNAC Camp America (or whatever it is they call it) and now need to fill in a flight form basically stating what date I want to come back on.

get a flexi ticket. it costs a wee bit more but allows you to return with a few days notice. i misbudgeted and ended up having to spend the night in the airport but it gives you a bit of security.

i made travelling plans at camp and i think most people do the same.

get a flexi ticket. it costs a wee bit more but allows you to return with a few days notice. i misbudgeted and ended up having to spend the night in the airport but it gives you a bit of security.

i made travelling plans at camp and i think most people do the same.

I don't think mine can work that way. From the form it looks like I need to select 3 dates I would like to fly home on, in order of preference. It doesn't mention anywhere being able to have a flexi-ticket, just that if I want to transfer my flight at a later date it will cost me ?75.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Done it last summer, had a ball.

I never worried about travelling until the end of the camp, tbh. Me and another British guy kipped at a yanks in the city while we were working out what to do then bough a $200 flight to NY and got accomodation sorted while we were sitting in JFK airport the next day!

Wouldn't advise leaving it that late though but our heads were firmly up our erses.

Problem I had was I pre booked my flight home on the 16th of September but we ran out of cash well before that so it was a stressful few days trying to get something sorted with Camp America but they thankfully were very good about it.

You will be surprised how friendly Americans are ... they will most likely let you stay at their homes and stuff like that while you sort yourself out. Was unbelievable how much they helped us johnny foreigners!

BTW yank birds - LOVE Scottish accents. ;)

I'm happy to help if you have any other questions.

Archived