PS3

Disser Pointon

Disser Pointon

Starting to shop around for the kids Christmas and looking for some advice. I was told the 60GB version was the only one backward compatible with PS2 games however they have stopped selling those. Is the 80GB version worth the extra money or should I just go for the 40GB version? I have also seen comments on a couple of forums which suggest that the 80GB version DOES play PS2 games.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

as far as i was aware, the 60GB model was the only one with the backwards compatibility chip in it. the fact that the 80GB has the same number of USB slots are the stripped down 40GB would suggest its not backwards compatible. get a 40GB and stick your own HDD in.

Disser Pointon
as far as i was aware, the 60GB model was the only one with the backwards compatibility chip in it. the fact that the 80GB has the same number of USB slots are the stripped down 40GB would suggest its not backwards compatible. get a 40GB and stick your own HDD in.[/QUOTE]

Whats that then (excuse my ignorance)?

your own hard drive. for the difference in price between a 40 & an 80 you could get a much bigger drive - i've got a 320GB arriving in the next couple of days & its apparently dead easy to change. doesn't void your warranty either.

Disser Pointon
your own hard drive. for the difference in price between a 40 & an 80 you could get a much bigger drive - i've got a 320GB arriving in the next couple of days & its apparently dead easy to change. doesn't void your warranty either.

How much did that cost you?

?55 for the drive. its big enough that i shouldn't need to change it again. do a google for upgrading PS3 HDD and you'll find a few sites with photos showing how to do it.

Heres some info for u jambopac:

(Go down to Retail configurations)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3#Hardware

Ive just had the 60GB since launch in March 07 and I have about 15GB left(Including my whole iPod, Pics, games and videos stored on the HDD). Im not sure about buying a seperate HDD but as stated above its apparently fairly easy to do.

A wee bit of my own opinion, why buy them a PS3 if they are so fussed about playing PS2 games?

Good point, in the whole year and a half I have maybe played 1 or 2 PS2 games. PS2 games are good......until you play PS3 games, the difference in realism, gameplay, funness(if thats a word) are remarkable. Plus you can buy classic PS1 games for ?2/?3 from the PS Store.

I'm sure on the HMV website the 80GB is exactly the same price as the 40GB

All shops are the same it would be crazy to go for a 40gig unless it was truly a bargain.

Archived