Help with French

Stuart Lyon

Does anyone on JKB know what the word Plan means when used in a French place name i.e Plan d'Orgon? I have tried online French/English dictionaries and Google but to no avail. There is a place called Orgon as well as Plan d' Orgon so I can only think that it is something perhaps about the location that the word Plan is used to differentiate between the two towns that are only a few miles apart. Any cunning linguists out there?

Glamorgan Jambo

Can't really help you too much other than the area (the Alpilles) is fantastic if you're planning a visit. Looking at the village website they refer to themselves as 'les Planeise' so I think the name may mean Plan close to Orgon or something like that. If Orgon is bigger than Plan d'Orgon this is probably the answer.

Not sure, but plan in English is derived from planum which in Latin means level. It would have come through French into English, so it may mean a level piece of land, though I realise your town is situated in hills. Perhaps the other village is on a hillside.

Only managed a 3 at SG French but think it means flat.

It has several meanings but the most likely is 'plane' as in a plane of land.

That's according to my daughter's French dictionary.:cool:

I think it's got a couple of meanings.

At first I understood it as meaning a map as in 'plan de ville'.

But if there is an actual place called Plan d'Orgon, then as the previous posters suggest, it probably referring to a flat piece of ground. Although I thought that would be 'plaine' in french.

a la prochaine

Does anyone on JKB know what the word Plan means when used in a French place name i.e Plan d'Orgon? I have tried online French/English dictionaries and Google but to no avail. There is a place called Orgon as well as Plan d' Orgon so I can only think that it is something perhaps about the location that the word Plan is used to differentiate between the two towns that are only a few miles apart. Any cunning linguists out there?

Sounds like a job for the Brussels Hearts boys...

Archived