Dougie Freedman - surely he was worth a punt?

PTBCAL

Well?

He signed for Southend.

A good penalty box striker that could have progressed this team over the next 12 or 18 months. I think it's fair to say that we could match anything the Shrimpers offered him.

Would DF have been a decent signing?

P.S Just wondering - it's not a 'Christ' we never signed a striker' thread.

decent player in his day. no sell on value. so no place in the shop window.

I think you have hit the nail on the head - no sell on value.

Seems fair enough.

Guest JamboRobbo
I think you have hit the nail on the head - no sell on value.

Seems fair enough.

well its short term vs long term I guess. Personally, i just want to see a striker in maroon that knows where the back of the net is.

well its short term vs long term I guess. Personally, i just want to see a striker in maroon that knows where the back of the net is.

Yes - Nothing wrong with signing someone at the end of the days if he still had the knack of being in the right place at the right time. Freedman to me is one.

Walter Bishop
Well?

He signed for Southend.

A good penalty box striker that could have progressed this team over the next 12 or 18 months. I think it's fair to say that we could match anything the Shrimpers offered him.

Dont be ridiculous, we have (as i was told last night) Bera,wallace,Kingston,Jonsson,Stewart and Driver!! Surely you can see at least 3 or 4 goals from that lot!!;)

For what its worth, Freedman would have been a good signing imo.

Well?

He signed for Southend.

Why didn't you add this to the previous ridiculous thread suggesting we sign an aging donkey like Freedman rather than cluttering up the board with a new thread?

Why didn't you add this to the previous ridiculous thread suggesting we sign an aging donkey like Freedman rather than cluttering up the board with a new thread?

You could also just ignore this thread and STFU!

Just an idea.:P

tommythejambo

A 34 year-old striker with a mediocre at best (155 career goals in 487 games, (wikipedia is barry like)) goalscoring record...No thanks.

I'd rather have Mole.

PS Was flicking through some Hearts strikers, past and present, having a wee look at goal scoring records, and I came to Elliot's:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Callum_Elliot

Maybe not.

What's wrong with you.... Rangers won on Sunday didn't they?

His agent asked for 12k a week with a 2 year contract. Do the sums yourself.

Thanks but no.

I refuse to believe Southend are paying him that.

I agree with the OP

But he simply isnt a player that fits with the clubs strategy.

Youthfullness is more important than pure ability and whether or not they will bring something to the team

Banks demotion is proof of the fact that there is no place for 30somethings in the Hearts team

Whilst this may have an impact upon occasional results because we dont have a core of experienced pro's who can influence the rest of the team when the going gets tough in a game, I dont think this is really a concern of Romanov.

Results of themself are not the "holy grail"

Dusk_Till_Dawn
A 34 year-old striker with a mediocre at best (155 career goals in 487 games, (wikipedia is barry like)) goalscoring record...No thanks.

You can prove anything with stats. I saw him play numerous times for Leeds last season and he was incredibly effective.

You can prove anything with stats. I saw him play numerous times for Leeds last season and he was incredibly effective.

mmm what league was that in? plus he is another year on from then and I wouldn't fancy hearing that Hearts have bought a 34 year old striker...

Dusk_Till_Dawn
mmm what league was that in? plus he is another year on from then and I wouldn't fancy hearing that Hearts have bought a 34 year old striker...

League One, which was better last season than you might imagine.

Not since the days of Jimmy Bone :pray: have we ever tried using guys cleverly as a short term fix ?

We've not had a proper 'goalscorer' since Robbo, yet I've seen guys like Owen Coyle ( proven scorer IMO ) signing for much lesser lights while we still toiled away :sad:

As regards DF though, maybe the deal was a bit pricey for a guy in his twylight years. You also have to remember that in less than a months time we ought have 2 'new' strikers anyway, a fit Tullberg and a 'reborn' :rolleyes: Nade

Guest Scottish Cup Semi 2006
Well?

He signed for Southend.

yeah - he would have helped us out this season but it would have been money down the drain for Vlad.

Archived