Jamie's one for Hearts' future says Laszlo

Dr. Bapswent

http://sport.scotsman.com/football/Jamie39s-one-for-Hearts39-future.4448007.jp

ADVERTISEMENT

Published Date: 02 September 2008

By BARRY ANDERSON

CSABA LASZLO stressed today that Jamie MacDonald still has a future at Hearts despite being discarded following his first-team debut against Rangers last month.

The Hungarian considers MacDonald an integral part of his squad but admitted that a lack of experience prevents him becoming first-choice goalkeeper at the moment. He has effectively been relegated to third choice since deputising for Steve Banks in the 2-0 defeat at Ibrox.

The 22-year-old is currently on Scotland Under-21 duty for the forthcoming European Championship qualifiers against Slovenia and Denmark and is certain to start both matches.

However, at club level, he must challenge Janos Balogh to dislodge the Slovakian goalkeeper Marian Kello, who has looked comfortable in three first-team games for Hearts.

MacDonald returned from a loan spell with Queen of the South intending to mount a serious first-team challenge this season, but Laszlo believes he will progress in time with more experience.

"We have three good goalkeepers and Jamie MacDonald is part of the squad. He is one for the future," the manager told the Evening News. "We have Kello and Balogh also and they are making a good competition, but Jamie is young and I think to play in the first team at the moment you must have not only ability but also experience.

"I was satisfied with Jamie against Rangers and I have also been pleased with Kello. He has not made a mistake and so he can stay in the team.

"When I first came to this club we had only one goalkeeper and now we have three. I am pleased about this and I am pleased with Jamie's attitude. He can stay in the squad and get more experience."

Asked if there was a possibility of MacDonald augmenting his experience with another loan spell, Laszlo replied: "He will stay at the club and challenge the other goalkeepers, I am happy to have three good goalkeepers in the squad."

Two reserve players did leave on loan yesterday as transfer deadline day passed with relative tranquility at Tynecastle. Craig Sives joined First Division Queen of the South whilst John Armstrong departed for Third Division Cowdenbeath, both on six-month loans.

Hearts had attempted to reinforce their striking options with moves for Derek Riordan and Alan Gow, but neither move came to fruition. Riordan made a return to Hibs while Gow opted to join Blackpool.

Drylaw Hearts

ADVERTISEMENT

Published Date: 02 September 2008

By BARRY ANDERSON

CSABA LASZLO stressed today that Jamie MacDonald still has a future at Hearts despite being discarded following his first-team debut against Rangers last month.

The Hungarian considers MacDonald an integral part of his squad but admitted that a lack of experience prevents him becoming first-choice goalkeeper at the moment. He has effectively been relegated to third choice since deputising for Steve Banks in the 2-0 defeat at Ibrox.

The 22-year-old is currently on Scotland Under-21 duty for the forthcoming European Championship qualifiers against Slovenia and Denmark and is certain to start both matches.

However, at club level, he must challenge Janos Balogh to dislodge the Slovakian goalkeeper Marian Kello, who has looked comfortable in three first-team games for Hearts.

MacDonald returned from a loan spell with Queen of the South intending to mount a serious first-team challenge this season, but Laszlo believes he will progress in time with more experience.

"We have three good goalkeepers and Jamie MacDonald is part of the squad. He is one for the future," the manager told the Evening News. "We have Kello and Balogh also and they are making a good competition, but Jamie is young and I think to play in the first team at the moment you must have not only ability but also experience.

"I was satisfied with Jamie against Rangers and I have also been pleased with Kello. He has not made a mistake and so he can stay in the team.

"When I first came to this club we had only one goalkeeper and now we have three. I am pleased about this and I am pleased with Jamie's attitude. He can stay in the squad and get more experience."

Asked if there was a possibility of MacDonald augmenting his experience with another loan spell, Laszlo replied: "He will stay at the club and challenge the other goalkeepers, I am happy to have three good goalkeepers in the squad."

Can someone please tell him we had 3 and we now have 4.

Unless I've missed the departure of Basso !

Can someone please tell him we had 3 and we now have 4.

Unless I've missed the departure of Basso !

Youv missed the departure of Basso

Rudolf's Mate

What gets me is that he is saying Jamie does not have enough experience. Surely the only way to get experience is to play games? By always having someone in front of him with more experience is going to mean that he is always on the bench!

Really poor remark to make IMO. If he was good enough to play against der huns then he must be good enough to play full stop!

Guest JamboRobbo

I'd question whether Kello's or Baloughs experience is any greater than Jamies so I don't agree with that part of what Csaba says.

Jamie had just played 2 years at QOS, including getting to scottish cup final.

Kello has been good so far. But so had Jamie MacDonald.

When was that ?

And where did he go ?

Well, was he not on loan at Livi...and been told he can leave?

Ok, so he might not have actually gone anywhere, but he is out of Csabas plans.

Im assuming that qualifies him as gone for the purposes of the above article.

Drylaw Hearts

So we still have 4 Goalies ?

Guest JamboRobbo

Youv imagined the departure of Basso.

So we still have 4 Goalies ?

Not sure.

His contract was up soon, so maybe he isnt actually around anymore.

Its fair to say he may as well be gone, so might as well just count 3.

The goalkeeper situation confuses me, we must be paying a small fortune for the 'goalkeeping dept.'

We are paying wages to Kello, Balogh, McDonald, Basso, Ridgers, the Swedish guy. :eek:

And we're also paying Banks 1st team wages to train the kids, and now a new goalkeeping coach (but he's really just Vlads spy;)).

Drylaw Hearts
Not sure.

His contract was up soon, so maybe he isnt actually around anymore.

Its fair to say he may as well be gone, so might as well just count 3.

I think his contract is up next summer.

But he is still here.

Drylaw Hearts
The goalkeeper situation confuses me, we must be paying a small fortune for the 'goalkeeping dept.'

We are paying wages to Kello, Balogh, McDonald, Basso, Ridgers, the Swedish guy. :eek:

And we're also paying Banks 1st team wages to train the kids, and now a new goalkeeping coach (but he's really just Vlads spy;)).

I recall us having about 8 strikers and 6 RM'ers at one point.

Milan Barjaktarevic went back to his homeland of stockholm and now plays for Kalmar FF

who are sitting top of the swedish Allsvenskan.

winston churchill

jamie macdonld wont ply another game for the first team.

he will go out on loan in january and will not have his contract renewed.

Basso was training with the have-nots on Saturday morning.

I recall us having about 8 strikers and 6 RM'ers at one point.

This was just after we had 5 right backs....

...now we have one left back.

5 no?

Banks, Basso, McDonald, Kello, Banogh??

7 :eek:

Banks, Basso, McDonald, Kello, Banogh, Ridgers, Bjornsson

Why do we need seven goalkeepers, no wonder we're in debt.

And we'll be paying them all, till Jan at least.

Shabba IMO got to pick goal keppers up until he was given Kello now the choice is out his hands.

Kello so far has been good but i still want Jamie mcdonald as i believe he is the best keeper we have and the one with the best chance of a big transfer!

siegementality
Shabba IMO got to pick goal keppers up until he was given Kello now the choice is out his hands.

Kello so far has been good but i still want Jamie mcdonald as i believe he is the best keeper we have and the one with the best chance of a big transfer!

I wonder if one day that, you'll say that, you care

If you say you love me madly I'll gladly be there

Like a puppet on a string

Love is just like a merry-go-round

With all the fun of the fair

One day I'm feeling down on the ground

Then I'm up in the air

Are you leading me on

Tomorrow will you be gone

I wonder if one day that, you'll say that, you care

If you say you love me madly I'll gladly be there

Like a puppet on a string