Elliot

Players in:

Obua

Kello

Tullberg

Balogh

Mrowiec

Are those the full lists?

Is it fair to say that for the 5th consecutive transfer window that the squad has been weakened (maybe even the 6th if you look at the mega 'new team' Jan 06 window)?

Kello has started well (and obviously only one keeper can play at a time so nothing seen of Balogh yet other than his hairband) but does he look immeasurably better than Banks? Obua has started poorly and nothing seen yet of the other 2 players. But we have lost a lot of experienced (expensive?) players.

Seymour M Hersh
Players out:

Velicka

McCann

Tall

Pinilla

Ivaskevicius

Banks

Basso

Elliot

Players in:

Obua

Kello

Tullberg

Balogh

Mrowiec

Is it fair to say that for the 5th consecutive transfer window that the squad has been weakened (maybe even the 6th if you look at the mega 'new team' Jan 06 window)?

Kello has started well (and obviously only one keeper can play at a time so nothing seen of Balogh yet other than his hairband) but does he look immeasurably better than Banks? Obua has started poorly and nothing seen yet of the other 2 players. But we have lost a lot of experienced (expensive?) players.

We're doomed I tell you doomed. Oh you forgot to add a manager in that appears to know something about what he is doing. We haven't lost Banks by the way. He is apparently enjoying his new role and is technically still available to play if required.

We're doomed I tell you doomed. Oh you forgot to add a manager in that appears to know something about what he is doing. We haven't lost Banks by the way. He is apparently enjoying his new role and is technically still available to play if required.

Yes credit should be given for improving the managerial position both on cost and ability.

Banks is not considered a goalie anymore as he is ready for retirement.

Do you think that the quality of the squad is higher after this window?

Seymour M Hersh
Yes credit should be given for improving the managerial position both on cost and ability.

Banks is not considered a goalie anymore as he is ready for retirement.

Do you think that the quality of the squad is higher after this window?

I think it is purely because of CL. Of the players out who did you genuinely rate and enjoy watching?

I think it is purely because of CL. Of the players out who did you genuinely rate and enjoy watching?

Not bothered about any of them leaving, with the exception of Banks who I think was treated abominably and unnecessarily. Overall I do think it looks like another cost cutting exercise (though I find it hard to criticise that relative prudence, it does not square with the club's bombast about being a top European club).

Would have preferred the funds used to bring in Kello/Balogh to have been used for other areas which required bolstering more urgently.

The likes of Velicka, Tall, Basso, Banks and even Elliot and Ivaskevicius of the leavers did make positive contributions last year. Await to see if any of this year's group do (other than Kello who has made a good start).

Basso belongs still to the squad.... he signed a contract till 30/06/2009. He has found no new club....

And Screpis has left the club. Hearts has cancelled his contract but in Screpis` opinion he has still a contract with Hearts.

Drylaw Hearts

Csaba was quoted as saying he was happy with the squad and we have attacking options in Nade, Mole, No.29 and Tullberg.

Now I now nothing about Tullberg but I do know that the rest are not good attacking options.

So if they're not good how the hell can he be happy ?

And if he's genuinely happy with what he's got then he doesn't have a clue imo.

Seymour M Hersh
Csaba was quoted as saying he was happy with the squad and we have attacking options in Nade, Mole, No.29 and Tullberg.

Now I now nothing about Tullberg but I do know that the rest are not good attacking options.

Hasn't taken you long to turn against him. I suppose you can a least revel in your gloom and doom.

Drylaw Hearts
Hasn't taken you long to turn against him. I suppose you can a least revel in your gloom and doom.

Are you happy with the attacking options ?

Hans von Luck

Not exactly however not at the wrist slitting state like you seem to be at.

Drylaw Hearts
Not exactly however not at the wrist slitting state like you seem to be at.

Wrist slitting ?

I am merely stressing the fact that it's obvious to the vast majority of support that we needed a goalscorer.

Infact we haven't signed a decent goalscoring striker for a long, long time.

And now we've got at least another 4 months to wait until the next Transfer Window.

Or Hugely Disappointing Transfer Window as it's known in Gorgie.

Seymour M Hersh

I'm not suicidal about it as you appear. Or, for you, is it just about having another opportunity to berate the regime?

Drylaw Hearts
I'm not suicidal about it as you appear. Or, for you, is it just about having another opportunity to berate the regime?

I knew you wouldn't answer that question with a yes or a no.

Seymour M Hersh
I knew you wouldn't answer that question with a yes or a no.

It's not a yes or no answer however much you'd like it to be one. The strike force could be improved as other areas of the squad could be improved. I'm keen to see the impact Tullberg will have. I'm keen to see Gary Glen back in action. There are positives and there are negatives.

There isn't a magic goalscoring machine out there. Even ?32m doesn't guarantee you that. I wish people would stop fantasing about this.

We have a good enough squad right now, and it's up to the coaches to bring out the best in them and give them the confidence they need. They're doing fine so far, no reason to assume they can't continue to do so.

It takes a bit of time to build a good team. It can't be bought in over-night, as we ourselves have conclusively proved.

It's not a yes or no answer however much you'd like it to be one.

To be fair, yes it is.

'Are you happy with X?' is always a yes or no answer, however much you'd prefer it not to be.

Seymour M Hersh
To be fair, yes it is.

'Are you happy with X?' is always a yes or no answer, however much you'd prefer it not to be.

He is asking a closed question and that sir, is poor questioning technique.

Drylaw Hearts
It's not a yes or no answer however much you'd like it to be one. The strike force could be improved as other areas of the squad could be improved. I'm keen to see the impact Tullberg will have. I'm keen to see Gary Glen back in action. There are positives and there are negatives.

Are you happy with the attacking options we currently have at our disposal ?

That is a yes or no question.

I'd guess if you were honest you'd say no but to try and make yourself look like a real postive guy your bumbling your way around the answer.

Hans von Luck

I'd guess if you were honest you'd say no but to try and make yourself look like a real postive guy your bumbling your way around the answer.

In wone word just now YES.

Much rather have what we have than that ned you were stroking yourself over.

Seymour M Hersh

You think it's a yes or no answer I don't. No bumbling straightforward answer. Deal with it.

I for one am not happy with the attacking options DH. Nade may have slimmed down but not convinced he's good enough. Glen looks a good prospect but still has a lot to learn. Not seen Tullberg in action yet so will have to reserve judgement on him, but looking at his stats he doesn't seem to me like the sort of penalty box striker we are desperately needing that bangs in goals for fun.

Drylaw Hearts
In wone word just now YES.

Much rather have what we have than that ned you were stroking yourself over.

As much as I wasn't stroking myself over that 'ned' there is no doubt he'll score goals at ER.

He'll score more goals than Makela, Mole, Ksanavicious and Nade put together this Season.

Drylaw Hearts
I for one am not happy with the attacking options DH. Nade may have slimmed down but not convinced he's good enough. Glen looks a good prospect but still has a lot to learn. Not seen Tullberg in action yet so will have to reserve judgement on him, but looking at his stats he doesn't seem to me like the sort of penalty box striker we are desperately needing that bangs in goals for fun.

In reallity no Hearts fan can be happy with our attacking options.

Anyone who goes to matches can see we are struggling in the final 3rd of the pitch.

Hans von Luck
As much as I wasn't stroking myself over that 'ned' there is no doubt he'll score goals at ER.

He'll score more goals than Makela, Mole, Ksanavicious and Nade put together this Season.

I dont care if he scores 20 or 30 goals as long as we finish either 3rd or 4th in the league and above them.

You still only get 3 points for a 4 - 0 win, same as a 1 - 0 if I remember correctly.

Arsenal wone the league under George Graham by winning how many games 1 -0. ?

Drylaw Hearts
I dont care if he scores 20 or 30 goals as long as we finish either 3rd or 4th in the league and above them.

You still only get 3 points for a 4 - 0 win, same as a 1 - 0 if I remember correctly.

Arsenal wone the league under George Graham by winning how many games 1 -0. ?

If he scores them 20 goals they'll do ok.

We don't have the strikers capable of scoring a combined total of 20 goals.

I would be different if we had goalscoring midfielders like Skacel or Hartley but we don't.

There isn't a magic goalscoring machine out there. Even ?32m doesn't guarantee you that. I wish people would stop fantasing about this.

We have a good enough squad right now, and it's up to the coaches to bring out the best in them and give them the confidence they need. They're doing fine so far, no reason to assume they can't continue to do so.

It takes a bit of time to build a good team. It can't be bought in over-night, as we ourselves have conclusively proved.

SPOT ON :)

Has our squad weakened every transfer window since Burley left? Yes

Do we have good enough attacking options?

Do we have a good enough defence?

Do we have a good enough balance in the squad generally?

I think the answer to these questions depend upon the aspirations of the club.

We now know we are not trying to win the league, so there is no point getting upset about not having players who will give the old firm a run for their money.

European place? Well this must be a pre-requisite aspiration for Romanov. It truely is a pointless exercise footballing-wise if we are not trying for 3rd or 4th.

So with 4th opening up for Europe this season, the answer to those questions would IMO be "possibly"

We've a lopsided squad of course, and we've brought in 2 goalkeepers for a position that was a debatable priority to say the least, we have no cover whatsoever for left back if Wallace loses form / is injured / is suspended, and we are shady for cover or principal players in other positions (right back / if Berra or Stewart is absent / if Tullberg doesnt cut the mustard)

If the aspiration is to improve upon last season, I'd say the answer to those questions is "probably", mostly because it simply shouldnt be as possible for us to be as bad again, and any semblance of organistation and motivation (which we now appear to have) should be enough for at least 6th or 7th.

Unfortunately Coco, now that the smokescreen serenade of Vlad's arrival has evaporated the reality of Hearts under Vlad is now apparent.

The problem is that it is only the charade of the first 4 months under Romanov that has caused the majority of the angst amongst fans. Had he just been honest then and confirmed that he simply would keep Hearts at Tynecastle, but would be hands on re the team with a view to promoting Kaunas players, and relying upon youth, whether of the requisite quality or not, people would likely have said "fair enough, at least we are staying at Tynecastle and are getting rid of Pieman"

Its debatable whether he would have achieved full control though as he now has if he had been honest, but there you go, that horse has bolted

I think next seasons strapline should be "Realism"

When written out like that, I'm a bit disapointed, in terms of playing staff we have probably weakened.

Velicka and Tall are what we are looking for right now, and they were both here up until recently.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but very few have seen Tullberg play. He may be the missing link and him and Glen could be the next Clark and Robbo.

All we need is a Colquhoun figure and we could be flying.

Players out:

Velicka

McCann

Tall

Pinilla

Ivaskevicius

Banks

Basso

Elliot

Players in:

Obua

Kello

Tullberg

Balogh

Mrowiec

The ones in Bold are the ones Id liked to have seen stay.

Having not seen 3 of the new players, Its hard to comment on them.

Velicka or Pinilla would give us attacking options we need right now - keeping both would maybe be a bit too much.

I liked Banks but admit his ability as keeper may be stretched by Balogh or Kello, so this is mostly a sentimental idea.

So other than a striker (and we havent seen Tullberg yet) i think we have offloaded some dead wood and reduced the wage bill.

Not bad business.

Drylaw Hearts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but very few have seen Tullberg play. He may be the missing link and him and Glen could be the next Clark and Robbo.

All we need is a Colquhoun figure and we could be flying.

This is a possibilty but when discussing the striking options we have Csaba doesn't even mention Glen.

Is the laddie injured or just not being mentioned?

He's just a laddie.

Im not surprised he is not featured in the first teams grand plan.

Im sure he'll play a role, but Csaba will nurture him, more than drop him in the deep end.

Sorry guys more left and some are still players are still having to train by themselves. Doherty returned to Linfield in NI while some others also quitely disappeared.

Whilst Hearts are run by a dictatorship they will go no where. The club invested heavily in a youth system a few years ago yet the best players from that have almost all gone treated badly.

You are not allowed to ask questions about your postion at the club and if a Lit plays in your position you had it.

Back to the days of the Iron Curtain at Hearts I am afraid no investment and no ones listening.

Drylaw Hearts
Is the laddie injured or just not being mentioned?

He's just a laddie.

Im not surprised he is not featured in the first teams grand plan.

Im sure he'll play a role, but Csaba will nurture him, more than drop him in the deep end.

I think he's being kept behind to play in this U'23 Team Csaba wants.

Sorry guys more left and some are still players are still having to train by themselves. Doherty returned to Linfield in NI while some others also quitely disappeared.

Whilst Hearts are run by a dictatorship they will go no where. The club invested heavily in a youth system a few years ago yet the best players from that have almost all gone treated badly.

You are not allowed to ask questions about your postion at the club and if a Lit plays in your position you had it.

Back to the days of the Iron Curtain at Hearts I am afraid no investment and no ones listening.

Did one of your mates get cut or something?

Victor Meldrew

I know I shouldn't be, but I am always surprised at how ready some on here are to spread doom and gloom.

I would have liked to have signed Riordan, as despite his being a rat-faced jakey, he can score goals, and would bring something to most teams in the SPL accordingly.

However, missing out on him is not the end of the World.

Here are some facts:

Celtic have a very impressive strike force. We have scored as many goals as them this season, having played 2 of the same sides.

Only Rangers have scored more goals than us this season so far.

If we win our next game, we will be at least second in the table (Rangers play Killie, so we'd have to leapfrog one of them)

Under Burley, we did not have a prolific striker: goals came from midfield.

We haven't yet seen much of Obua, or anything of Tullberg.

Now, I'm not saying we're going to win the SPL or aotherwise be World beaters, but after 4 games, we're doing well. I think there is every reasn for optimism, particularly as this transfer window has seen us add players that the manager appears to have chosen and not resulted in a last minute flood of Lithuanian players to make up numbers.

Players out:

Velicka

McCann

Tall

Pinilla

Ivaskevicius

Banks

Basso

Elliot

Players in:

Obua

Kello

Tullberg

Balogh

Mrowiec

The quality of player is arguably lower (although of course it's impossible to say until we actually see the new guys play), however, on the evidence I've seen on the pitch so far I'd contend that the squad is probably stronger than at this time last year.

We have a higher proportion of players who actually want to be here, fewer high-earning players who never play, and a manager whom the players appear to believe in (at least for now). We appear to be fitter and better organised than previously, while there are clear signs of individual improvement in players such as Zaliukas, Stewart, Karipidis and Driver.

It's not all rosy - far from it - but on balance I'm more optimistic than I was twelve months ago.

The quality of player is arguably lower (although of course it's impossible to say until we actually see the new guys play), however, on the evidence I've seen on the pitch so far I'd contend that the squad is probably stronger than at this time last year.

We have a higher proportion of players who actually want to be here, fewer high-earning players who never play, and a manager whom the players appear to believe in (at least for now). We appear to be fitter and better organised than previously, while there are clear signs of individual improvement in players such as Zaliukas, Stewart, Karipidis and Driver.

It's not all rosy - far from it - but on balance I'm more optimistic than I was twelve months ago.

Those 4 mentioned are like new singings IMO.

With the right management our team has potential

Quite happy not to have signed Riordan if that is what has rattled some people's cages. The coach has always said that there was not the money to sign a real big name striker. We won't be 1st or 2nd and I believe we should be able to wait and see how our existing strikers go. Does anyone believe that we will be out of contention for 3rd if Tulleberg does not rattle in 15 goals by January???

Hes happy because Vlad told him HE IS HAPPY, very simple really you want to stay here a little longer just do as you are told.

No. I would say it's unfair to say that.

We've yet to see if guys like Obua and Tullberg really are quality but I wouldn't say the squad has been weakened. It's been rationalised and it was in bad need of it too.

Those 4 mentioned are like new singings IMO.

With the right management our team has potential

HHmmm - Karipidis and Driver were decent last season.

Zaliukas is showing better form than he did last season, although is still prone to lapses which cost goals

Stewart is more focussed and effective - yes

Hes happy because Vlad told him HE IS HAPPY, very simple really you want to stay here a little longer just do as you are told.

bored1.jpg

HHmmm - Karipidis and Driver were decent last season.

Zaliukas is showing better form than he did last season, although is still prone to lapses which cost goals

Stewart is more focussed and effective - yes

Maybe it's just me but I think Driver has been much more direct on the occasions I've seen him this season, much more inclined to take his man on for pace rather than allow himself to be shepherded away from the direct route to goal.

I've noticed the same with Miko in the games I've seen him play (he got himself into some decent positions against Aridrie but couldn't find a good delivery), and with Cesnauskis (only after Laszlo had had a word with him before the start of extra time last Wednesday).

Maybe it's just me but I think Driver has been much more direct on the occasions I've seen him this season, much more inclined to take his man on for pace rather than allow himself to be shepherded away from the direct route to goal.

I've noticed the same with Miko in the games I've seen him play (he got himself into some decent positions against Aridrie but couldn't find a good delivery), and with Cesnauskis (only after Laszlo had had a word with him before the start of extra time last Wednesday).

Possibly. But Driver did contribute to the team last year, so its not so much improvement as to equate to a new signing.

I actually think that an attacking fluid 3 of Driver, Obua and Kingston behind a sole striker could work relatively well this season if Tullberg has any semblance of the hold up ability that Janny had.

Driver is a bit hit and miss with his shooting, Obua still has to adjust and Kingston can hit a decent shot.

I hope we move away from pretending that Driver and Kingston are wide "winger" type players, and have them buzzing around more centrally - but with the ability to pull off to the channels to create space. Miko and Chesney will also be able to play those roles, as would Glen, and Beslija if he ever got fit

I would strongly disagreee with the idea that the squad was weakened this transfer window. Velicka aside (and he left in February) we didnt need any of the outs.

Ivaskevicus, Elliot, Pinilla, Goncalves, Screpis were all among the so called "wage thiefs" that saw this club to its lowest league postion in 25 years. Next we need to get shot of Makela and Beslijsa.

We have yet to see Tullberg and Mroweic, not seen enough yet of Obua, and we brought in 2 young and seemingly decent keepers. Apart from the polish lad from kaunas, i think all the players are needed. The squad is now smaller and more motivated.

As others have said its far from rosy, we are short at both full back positions and striker but what would you rather have - the squad that Frailed in the bottom six last year, or the squad we have now?

Archived