When was the last time you were genuinely excited by a new Hearts signing?

Baird, King and Michael

Baird, King and Michael

I?m struggling to think!

Although some players have turned out to be great signings i.e. Takis, Rudi, Bednar, at the time I hadn?t really heard that much about them so they didn?t generate that much excitement.

Watching SSN, (in the vain hope Berbatov might choose us instead of City or Utd) you see archive images of previous deadline day surprises like Newcastle signing Owen, Man Utd getting Rooney, Liverpool Torres etc and see the excitement it brings to a club. (Plus the spin off shirt sales and merchandising etc.)

Whilst obviously Hearts cannot hope to land a truly big name it would be nice every now and then to sign somebody relatively well known rather than a raft of journeymen European players as seems to be the norm.

Oh well, there?s always January?Rooney might be unsettled and we could do a swap deal with Mole!

I?m struggling to think!

Although some players have turned out to be great signings i.e. Takis, Rudi, Bednar, at the time I hadn?t really heard that much about them so they didn?t generate that much excitement.

Watching SSN, (in the vain hope Berbatov might choose us instead of City or Utd) you see archive images of previous deadline day surprises like Newcastle signing Owen, Man Utd getting Rooney, Liverpool Torres etc and see the excitement it brings to a club. (Plus the spin off shirt sales and merchandising etc.)

Whilst obviously Hearts cannot hope to land a truly big name it would be nice every now and then to sign somebody relatively well known rather than a raft of journeymen European players as seems to be the norm.

Oh well, there?s always January?Rooney might be unsettled and we could do a swap deal with Mole!

Robbo coming back fi the toon

Nearly got me off the edge of the bridge. :(

I was only on the edge of my seat as I was contemplating sticking the head into my moniter.

Nade was one - striker with EPL experince (that failed)

and Kingston when it became permenent - who else remebers when he was good?

I dont get exited anymore.

Janny and Fyssas, we had a European Cup winner and a European Championship winner instead of the usual guys who's only medal came from the Tennants Sixes

When JJ was manager and we signed three players in one day, one was Neil McCann cant remember now who the other two were.

Fyssas. It showed we really meant business and his pedigree spoke for itself. Most of the guys that we signed in that window were exciting as well. We were signing players with a good background when we'd just spent the previous season watching Weir, Wyness and Hamill.

To be honest since then, it's really only Kingston that's been interesting.

Drylaw Hearts

Beslija and Goncalves appeared to have all the hallmarks of good signings.

I was genuinly excited when these guys signed.

How wrong was I !!!!!!

Lesson learned.

:)

Not one signing, but the Skacel, Bednar, Janny, Brellier, Pospisil week.

Now that was exciting.

Buffalo Bill

When JJ was manager and we signed three players in one day, one was Neil McCann cant remember now who the other two were.

Jeremy Goss and David Weir.

Come to think of it i was quite excited about Goss. He scored a peach for Nowrich against Bayern Munich a couple of years previous!

David Weir and Jeremy Goss.

Buffalo Bill

Joe Jordan signed a fistful of supposedly fantastic players one close season. So palpable was the excitement that I even went to Greenock for a pre-season friendly. Sheer lunacy.

it would have to be 2006, bednar and rudi in the boro game. so many exciting signings.

must admit was glad we got obua, but nothing like the good old days

Although I did say Obua I had learnt a little from the past to not get excited.

That Boro friendly is the last time that I've got a sense that something big was about to happen. The best friendly I've ever been to.

it would have to be 2006, bednar and rudi in the boro game. so many exciting signings.

must admit was glad we got obua, but nothing like the good old days

2005. :)

Drylaw Hearts
Although I did say Obua I had learnt a little from the past to not get excited.

That Boro friendly is the last time that I've got a sense that something big was about to happen. The best friendly I've ever been to.

You just knew that we were on the verge of something great.

I'll never, ever understand why the rug was pulled from under us.

Davy Weir was one of them.

McCann scored a corner the next game which Weir claimed

Father Tiresias

Takis Fyssas

Players with the quality of his CV have been as rare as Hibs' Scottish Cup wins round Tynecastle and signalled what we all thought was the start of a new era with a new owner and a quality manager.

Sadly, the height of the owners' ambition has significantly reduced since those early days.

It would have to be Pasquale Bruno for me.

I remember watching a clip of italian football on ch4 a good while before we signed him and thinking that guys a nutter,he was playing for Juve and trying to get to the ref and all the players from both sides were hauling him back.

When Hearts signed him i thought i recognise that name but it never clicked who it was until they showed that same clip i had saw that time before.

It was what we needed,a real hardman and good player also.

Jankauskas.

Me as well. He was the culmination of all that activity that made me think "right...we're giving this a real go!"

Or not, as it turned out.

Rudolf's Mate
Genuinely? Antti Niemi.

Me also however remember Stephane Adam being paraded before a game and thinking who the hell is that.... Never heard of him before and then the crowd seemed to be excited and people were talking about him.

He's still god to me :)

Commander Harris

at the boro friendly in 2005 I thought that if we signed even half of the trialists we had playing that day we'd have a cracking season so I was excited when we did sign most of them!

more recently, Obua - simply as it was obviously the manager's choice.

Antti Niemi or Jankauskas...

...was really excited about the former champions league winner, was pretty good first season. Never really lived up to anything special though.

Probably Janny or Fysass. They were names. Players outwith our normal fishing pool if you like. Sadly it was probably exciting cause I thought this would the benchmark for the majority of our signings from then on...how wrong was that thought?

Before that it was Robbo coming home. Cried like a bairn when he left and was genuinely delighted when he came home.

Dr Ian Malcolm

Jankauskas - a proper European class striker who'd genuinely played at the highest level. I think he gets a hard time due to the poor second season the club had as a whole, but that first year he was great for us. Strong, clever, good link up play and an eye for goal. Also had a bit of dig and agression about him. Towards the end of the season (just as Rix left and Valdas came in) he had about 10 games where he was immense, scoring important goals - 2 v Motherwell, winner away to Falkirk, at home to Rangers where we simply couldn't lose. He came through when he was needed.

You just knew that we were on the verge of something great.

I'll never, ever understand why the rug was pulled from under us.

That's exactly it...

I'm not one to dramatise or get over excited in my predictions.. but after the first few games that season.. I truly believed it was a treble in the making..

Who didn't think that we would crush the filth from the west and kick the utter sheeite out of the docksiding bum-merchants at every opporchancity?

It was a great season,.. but sadly could have been so much better!! How many teams can say, "yeah we won the cup but its a let down because if things hadn't been ****ed up by some tosser we could have had the ****ing lot!!"

PS cup win was fantastic... Merchie hearts club during the game was great.. I love how I managed to start "OHH the Hibbess are gayyy.." at every chance I got!!

Got some video footage on my phone from Tynie Arms after the game aswell.. I'll blue tooth it to my new phone and attempt to upload it to youtube..

I think it's the Jam tarts song to the tune of Hey JUde... Love it... pished as a fharts...

Back to vladds mad plan for european domination.. aint gonna happen unless we sign a total poacher to bang them in....

Jankauskas - a proper European class striker who'd genuinely played at the highest level. I think he gets a hard time due to the poor second season the club had as a whole, but that first year he was great for us. Strong, clever, good link up play and an eye for goal. Also had a bit of dig and agression about him. Towards the end of the season (just as Rix left and Valdas came in) he had about 10 games where he was immense, scoring important goals - 2 v Motherwell, winner away to Falkirk, at home to Rangers where we simply couldn't lose. He came through when he was needed.

So much of that is true, but....big name, got hacked off - who wouldn't - and became a lazy fecker just winding it down. Shame but indicative.

Geoff Kilpatrick
David Obua actually.

I know he hasn't started great but the way some people were talking about him on here I was excited.

Yep, I'm the same. Shouldn't have fallen for the hype by all accounts, although part of it was the fact that he actually got a work permit in the first place, meaning that some football experts :rolleyes: obviously thought he was good enough for the SP Hell.

Archived