Ex Pats

JamboBen

Out of interest, what made you move abroad?

I am thinking of getting out of Scotland for a couple of years, it's only a thought just now. My main stumbling block is how I apply for jobs on a different continent!

How did your story begin?

Doctor FinnBarr

I am thinking of getting out of Scotland for a couple of years, it's only a thought just now. My main stumbling block is how I apply for jobs on a different continent!

I worked in Germany for a few years, the papers were full of ads at that time and I could make at least 3 times what I made here.

http://www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk has a Euro section I think.

:)

I was coming to the end of my training contract at work and just about to fully qualify so I thought that it was as good a time as any to try something new. I also thought a change of scenery would do me some good as I'd lived in Edinburgh all my life through school, uni and now work. A few mates who had lived aboad for a few years really recommended it so my girlfriend and I just started applying through an agency. You'll find most industries have agencies that will sort out work for people all over the world.

Been out here a year now and love it. Will probably be back next year though as there's too much I miss about back home.

Good luck! :)

Work opportunity took me to the IOM and then my girlfriend being homesick and us having a child brought about a move to Perth, WA.

Luckily I worked for a global company who sorted me out. In addition though I did find a decent recruitment company locally who set me up with a couple of interviews.

alwaysthereinspirit

Came over to the States for a year. Met my now wife and the rest as they say is history. Been here 20 years. No regrets.

downunder jambo

Moved to the sunny land of Oz straight from school at age 18. Was just something I felt I had to do. Didn't cost me anything back then either!

Been here over 30 years now and love it - best thing I ever did.

Naturally, still miss Scotland, a bit, and still have family in Edinburgh so try and get back every couple of years.

If its what you want to do, just do it! At least give it a try.

I had always fancied working abroad for a couple of years and after a lot of thought and research plumped on heading to Wellington in New Zealand. Only been here a few months. Work is very muchlike back home, but NZ as a country is fantastic.

I managed to get a transfer through work but depending on the work you do/career your after then the world has various opportunities for everyone. Although the finance sector is crippling most countries in the world, NZ isnt being effected quite as badly and recruitment within fiannce is still pretty strong.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Started as a mad notion. Then realised we could basically walk into Oz as my wife is a nurse. Looked at the advantages for the kids etc and went for it.

Same as most came over here on holiday a few times, a very drunken coversastion later and im seriously looking at visa options and before you know it here...just put in for my PR yesterday so looks like im staying. dont worry about jobs etc, you'll find yourself fairly resourceful once you get to where your going

Fancied a move abroad as I was fed up scraping ice off my car 24/7. Fortunately, had family here who were able to offer the missus and I jobs. It's a major step to make the move, but one well worth taking IMO. Opens your horizons hugely.

Marmeladent?rtchen

Needed to find a work placement while at Uni. and got a job in Germany by some random way. I was 21 at the time and it was one of the best years of my life, learnt a lot about life, the world, and myself. I was out there for just over a year. I went back to Edinburgh to finish Uni. After Uni I could not get a job in Scotland so went down south to Essex. I really did not settle there. When I got the chance I moved back to Germany I jumped at it and been loving it since.

I still subscribe to s1jobs but not seen anything to bring be back. I still love coming home, but I getting on with my own life.

Take the chance mate. Worst case,,, you go back after month but I least you tried.

scottish_chicP

I am going out to Melbourne for a month at Christmas and seriously thinking about getting a two year working visa and heading back out next year. Not sure if I can see myself staying over there or not. I guess time will tell. I have family over there so suppose it would be a bit easier.

I've always wanted to take the jump too, but now with wife and kids its looking even more unlikely. I don't have the bottle to just up sticks (well maybe I do, but the wife certainly doesn't).

camsanozziejambo2
I've always wanted to take the jump too, but now with wife and kids its looking even more unlikely. I don't have the bottle to just up sticks (well maybe I do, but the wife certainly doesn't).

G,Day

You will miss famliy, HEARTS, pubs,decent chip shops, hanging **** on hobos

BUT think of your KIDS !!! better life out here in oz

How old are the kids ??

HOO ROO

honest I not ****ed

SORRY telling porkies

HOO ROO again and think about it

Oz is generally the place i've looked at - my kids are 4yo and 6 months and have thought for some time Oz would be the best place to bring them up for too many reasons to mention on here.

My wife is too attached to her family it seems................

Oh after all this hoo roo nonsense I'm defo having 2nd thoughts :P lol

How easy is it to get work? Houses? Whats the schools like etc?

If you are under 30 it couldn't be easier. I would definitely recommend 'try before you buy'. Movgn to a different countru permanently is a big thing and not for everyone. Give it a go first and see if you like it - a test drive almost !!

You can get a visa direct from each of these countries under the working holiday maker scheme - Canada, Oz and NZ.

Just find their websites and apply. Costs about ?50ish. The visa is valid for one year from when you get it. Then once you arrive you have one year to work in any job you want.(Think oz has one year work now and one extra year non-working ?) If you get a decent job and want to stay employers can sponsor you pretty easily. If not you have had an amazing year and can come home, then go through other routes like applying for a skills linked visa etc..

Personally I think anyone who doesn't do this is mad. But I am a bit of a **** afterall.

After 23 years in Edinburgh, just got bored. Same people, same sights, same ****ty weather, same small town attitude in too many people.

Moved to the US 9 years ago, and the lifestyle is much, much better. Higher salary combined with a lower cost of living is a nice combination :)

Having said that, I'll be back one day, I won't spend the rest of my days here.

Higher salary combined with a lower cost of living is a nice combination :)

One would certainly never have guessed based on the number of pints you bought - zero - when we went for a bevvy in Noo Yoik. :sad:

One would certainly never have guessed based on the number of pints you bought - zero - when we went for a bevvy in Noo Yoik. :sad:

What about the bottle of champagne I bought you in Robbos? :mad:

Oz is generally the place i've looked at - my kids are 4yo and 6 months and have thought for some time Oz would be the best place to bring them up for too many reasons to mention on here.

Having spoken with guys who moved to Oz and also with my own experience in moving to NZ I think its a lot easier than folk originallt think to geta job across here.

Especially in Oz, depending on what you do, their economy is still going very strong and plenty of work opportunities are available.

The House situation is also very good in OZ with your pound buying you much more across here. The houses are genearlly good quality and much lareger than back home. In NZ its a bit of a different story with houses not being of great quality (eg. they dont have double glazing or central heating) but you get round that with heaters etc.

I would say definatley take the plunge. Its well worth it and as a poster already said if it goes pear shaped then you can always head back home.

Work is no issue at the moment in WA. Wouldn't matter that much what you do to be honest as long as you have a decent work ethic.

Undecided about schooling standards but my eldest who is 6 can read/write/add up which is more than can be said about your average Australian.

It is 24C here today and that is winter. Think about coming home from work, it's 34C, jumping in your pool, crank the barby up grabbing a beer.

Work partnership fell apart. Wife had always wanted to live abroad and son Calum was 2 year old at the time. Knew if we didn't do it then, we'd never. For what I do, NY and LA were the only options and having done 12 years in London, wanted something a bit different.

We only planned to come over for six months or so and just tour around California. Nine years later we're still here and I love it.

Archived