Lightweight

elvisisgod

Hottest division in boxing in september.

2 Huge (+ 1 smaller) matchups taking place with potential to be great and decisive for the future of the division.

Juan Diaz v Michael Katsidis sept 6th, big fight between two young boxers who were beaten for the first time in their last bouts. Two big name boxers who are taking the first step on the road back against each other.

Tough fight to call, both are sluggers, Diaz perhaps with the slightly better defence so I'm going for him to edge it.

Joel Casamayor v Juan Manuel Marquez, sept 13th. Casamayor defending the Ring lightweight championship belt, Marquez aiming for a third fight with pacquiao, another tough one to call.

Casamayor was expected to lose to Katsidis in his last fight but KO'd the younger guy in the 10th, he's 36 but has a lot of experience and ring skills.

Marquez another very intelligent mercurial fighter but he's moving up in weight to challenge and not sure how that will affect him.

I hope marquez will win so he gets his 3rd chance against pacquiao but casamayor may be too strong for him.

Also Nate Campbell v Joan Guzman on sept 13th. Campbell has three of the alphabet belts, another experienced pro, 36 years old, smartly beat Juan Diaz in his last fight and always fights well as the underdog which he is against Guzman.

Very fast, flashy and athletic, was supposed to fight Alex Arthur in May but it fell through (he would've battered Arthur). Moving up in weight to face Campbell, more skilled than Diaz so he should give Campbell more trouble and win here.

the voice from above
Hottest division in boxing in september.

2 Huge (+ 1 smaller) matchups taking place with potential to be great and decisive for the future of the division.

Juan Diaz v Michael Katsidis sept 6th, big fight between two young boxers who were beaten for the first time in their last bouts. Two big name boxers who are taking the first step on the road back against each other.

Tough fight to call, both are sluggers, Diaz perhaps with the slightly better defence so I'm going for him to edge it.

Joel Casamayor v Juan Manuel Marquez, sept 13th. Casamayor defending the Ring lightweight championship belt, Marquez aiming for a third fight with pacquiao, another tough one to call.

Casamayor was expected to lose to Katsidis in his last fight but KO'd the younger guy in the 10th, he's 36 but has a lot of experience and ring skills.

Marquez another very intelligent mercurial fighter but he's moving up in weight to challenge and not sure how that will affect him.

I hope marquez will win so he gets his 3rd chance against pacquiao but casamayor may be too strong for him.

Also Nate Campbell v Joan Guzman on sept 13th. Campbell has three of the alphabet belts, another experienced pro, 36 years old, smartly beat Juan Diaz in his last fight and always fights well as the underdog which he is against Guzman.

Very fast, flashy and athletic, was supposed to fight Alex Arthur in May but it fell through (he would've battered Arthur). Moving up in weight to face Campbell, more skilled than Diaz so he should give Campbell more trouble and win here.

Can't say I disagree with any of that.

I would favour Diaz quite strongly over Katsidis, although if I could bet on anything I'd back it to be a belter of a fight.

Marquez vs Casamayor is probably the highest quality contest (I have Marquez just behind Pac Man P4P) but I don't think it'll be as good as the first fight (Casamayor's been in some real snoozefests previously).

Guzman, if he would remove his thumb from his arse and concentrate on making the career for himself his talent is capable of could be the pick of the bunch.

I'd like to see Marquez, Diaz and Guzman win. Diaz and Katsisids rematch (assuming it's not a blow out) Marquez and Guzman facing off and fighting the winner. The winner of that goes on to challenge Pac Man once Pac Man has lost to Oscar then beaten Hatton...

How's that sound?

I'd like to see Marquez, Diaz and Guzman win. Diaz and Katsisids rematch (assuming it's not a blow out) Marquez and Guzman facing off and fighting the winner. The winner of that goes on to challenge Pac Man once Pac Man has lost to Oscar then beaten Hatton...

How's that sound?

That sounds like an ideal line up of matches! It would clear out the senior members of the division, campbell & casamayor, and leave the intelligent athletic boxers like Marquez and Guzman in control. Diaz needs to be more than just a relentless punching machine, needs to learn some slicker defense and he'll be a great boxer.

the voice from above
That sounds like an ideal line up of matches! It would clear out the senior members of the division, campbell & casamayor, and leave the intelligent athletic boxers like Marquez and Guzman in control. Diaz needs to be more than just a relentless punching machine, needs to learn some slicker defense and he'll be a great boxer.

Aye Diaz is still only 24 so has plenty of time to refine his style some more but aggression will always be his main attribute.

A triology of battles with Katsidis, after Katsidis proves too strong for him in their 1st encounter (which is what I'm hoping for but would bet the opposite) might help him learn to be a bit trickier.

I just hope Amir Khan and Alex Arthur hurry up and get exposed against some of these guys soon.

Khan is fighting on ****ing pay per view against a guy who's only fought 5 (that's right FIVE!) oponents with a winning record? His opponents hold a total record of 85 wins, 104 losses and 7 draws? Youngest British World Champion? Who're they trying to kid?

I personally can't wait until Khan gets found out, cocky little ****. All it will take is a fighter of quality, not one of the record-padders he has been fighting lately, to clock his fragile chin with more strength than Gomez and he will be done.

I don't mind Arthur, even if he does support the wee team, but he just doesnt have the skilld to compete at the very top in the big fights. Guzman would've found him out big time

I'm off to Manchester for the weekend to see Alex Arthur who'll be stepping up to that weight within about three fights.

I'm not a massive fan of boxing or Arthur TBH but it'll be a good weekend away with my mates!

My mate does a boxing blog and he's just interviewed Alex Arthur.

It's a great read if you ignore the odd spelling mistake!

http://garyreilly.blogspot.com/2008/08/exclusive-interview-with-alex-arthur.html

the voice from above
I'm off to Manchester for the weekend to see Alex Arthur who'll be stepping up to that weight within about three fights.

I'm not a massive fan of boxing or Arthur TBH but it'll be a good weekend away with my mates!

My mate does a boxing blog and he's just interviewed Alex Arthur.

It's a great read if you ignore the odd spelling mistake!

http://garyreilly.blogspot.com/2008/08/exclusive-interview-with-alex-arthur.html

We'll give your mate the benefit of the doubt and say he's just writing it how Alex was saying it...

Archived