Faldo. Please explain.

alwaysthereinspirit

Geoff Kilpatrick

Europe will lose the Ryder Cup this time despite no Woods for the US.

Why? Because Faldo is Faldo.

It'll be weird wothout Monty and Darren Clarke. No matter how bad a season these guys are having, they ALWAYS seemed to produce at the Ryder Cup.

Can't stand Faldo! I remember my hubby and I were in the stand at The Open at St Andrews in 1990. Faldo and Greg Norman were on the first tee. Some guy in the stand yelled " Faldo! shank it up here!" LOL!

Lynn:ninja:

crazy_jambo_2006

If we lose the ryder cup, the blame lies at Faldo's door. Also Poulter though, as if he had played Gleneagles +qualified as 1 of the 10 (maybe instead of Wilson), then the wildcard could've gone to someone else. QUOTE=Geoff Kilpatrick;486968]Europe will lose the Ryder Cup this time despite no Woods for the US.

Why? Because Faldo is Faldo.

Sergio Garcia

yeah must agree, faldo has done his usual and tried to grab all the attention by some questionable picks.

Was raging watching him announe the two captains picks.

Can understand picking one of them somewhat (although saying he was the form player of the summer bar none, when Padroig won 2 majors and Sergio was close in both of them, is a stupid statement) but surely the second pick should have went to an expierenced player ie; Monty or Clarke.

With Clarke's recent form and his vast expierence in the Ryder cup, he should have been picked. I knew a few wanted Monty, but Darren Clarke would have helped Faldo get out of the not picking Monty decision with justification of picking a wise head with good current form and undoubted class.

Seems Faldo wants to be the head man with all the younger players and doesnt want anyone threatening this at all.

Doesnt seem to grasp the idea of a team game and the European spirit, all for one and one for all.

But then again Faldo, is all about himself!

I P Knightley

Already done in another thread.

Faldo IS an arse.

Doesn't mean we'll lose the comp but Clarke is clearly a better pick than the second best player in the world.

Wouldn't have touched Monty myself and Casey is good at matchplay so no argument there.

However, there's still the question whether the Americans can be bothered with this tournament.

I think he was correct not to pick Monty as he has been playing very poorly recently - but picking Poulter before Clarke is not justified. Apparently Faldo and Poulter are mates which might explain it.

Rory B Bellows

Thing is, looking at the US team and the potential picks Azinger can make I still think we will win but it will be despite Faldo rather than because of him. The press conference yesterday was embarrassing - the man's arrogance was practically oozing out of the TV screen!!!

Can't stand the guy and for some reason I almost felt sorry for J-M Olazabal sitting next to him...

Thing is, looking at the US team and the potential picks Azinger can make I still think we will win but it will be despite Faldo rather than because of him. The press conference yesterday was embarrassing - the man's arrogance was practically oozing out of the TV screen!!!

Can't stand the guy and for some reason I almost felt sorry for J-M Olazabal sitting next to him...

poulter has been in contention in the Majors this year and not been found wanting thats why he's been picked, whereas clarke did *** all until last week, caseys game is ideally suited to the Ryder cup, particularly in the USA

Clarke should have been picked.

Monty shouldn't. As much as I'd have liked to see him in the team he was not playing well enough unfortunately.

Rory B Bellows
poulter has been in contention in the Majors this year and not been found wanting thats why he's been picked, whereas clarke did *** all until last week, caseys game is ideally suited to the Ryder cup, particularly in the USA

Poulter's 2008 major record:

USPGA 31st

Masters T25th

US Open Withdrew

Open T2nd

In contention in one major. Zero wins. Clarke has won twice this year and is clearly on form unlike Poulter who missed the cut this week. We will see but IMO Faldo has made a huge mistake...

Poulter's 2008 major record:

USPGA 31st

Masters T25th

US Open Withdrew

Open T2nd

In contention in one major. Zero wins. Clarke has won twice this year and is clearly on form unlike Poulter who missed the cut this week. We will see but IMO Faldo has made a huge mistake...

seen as you're statto and Clarkes results were?

Chad Sexington

Faldo is an erse and this will be the yanks year I'm afraid.

His man management skills will be exposed as non-existent and we'll have an unhappy divided team.

Rory B Bellows
seen as you're statto and Clarkes results were?

Glad you asked bud :)

Your right, Clarke didn't qualify for the majors this year or any of the WGC but that's because of the time he had to take off after his wife's death. So fair enough, Poulter's results are better although not great apart from the Open, however...

- Poulter has missed the cut in the last 2 tournaments he's played. Faldo stated that he wanted players in form.

- Added to his 2 victories in China and Holland, Clarke has 7 top ten finishes this season.

- Poulter has not shot a round under 68 all year.

- Poulter only won a single point in the 2004 Ryder cup (beating that powerhouse of American golf Chris Riley in the singles).

- Clarke was undefeated at the K-club

- Clarke and Westwood are the 2nd most successful European pairing in Ryder Cup history behind only Seve and Olazabal.

- Clarke is the only European to have won 2 WGC tournaments. One of which was the matchplay where he beat Tiger Woods over 36 holes

I'm not saying there isn't a case for Poulter, despite the above, and I genuinely hope he performs but Faldo has put huge pressure on him and IMO it was the wrong decision. That said, as my original post stated and having heard Azingers picks today, I still think we'll win but don't think it'll be as one sided as many folk think.

Archived