Spitting on the Heart of Midlothian

i8hibsh

As I walked past it last night, I saw it covered in gobbings.

I know it's meant to bring good luck but spitting on it is just not right.

I don't feel comfortable spitting on something so beautiful

Do you do it?

maroonlegions

Do you do it?

tried it a few times but i always miss:rolleyes: i think hobos are to blame , it would just be like them to do it not knowing its meant to bring good luck.:107years:

jamboinglasgow

could never bring myself to spit on it, it is just not right. Like spitting on a picture of your girlfriend it is not right.

Though I remember first hearing about this "tradition" (I'm sure it must of been started by a hibee) when blue peter had a presenter from edinburgh and she got the other presenter to do it.

could never bring myself to spit on it, it is just not right. Like spitting on a picture of your girlfriend it is not right.

Though I remember first hearing about this "tradition" (I'm sure it must of been started by a hibee) when blue peter had a presenter from edinburgh and she got the other presenter to do it.

Not the first time a Blue Peter presenter from Edinburgh's forced someone to do something!*

* allegedly, of course!

Not the first time a Blue Peter presenter from Edinburgh's forced someone to do something!*

* allegedly, of course!

:rofl:

MacDonald Jardine

Do you do it?

No. never able to.

tradition goes that it started before the heart was placed there,people would spit on that spot to ward off witches curses.(the spot is actually where the gallows were).the heart was then put there and its still the only legal place in edinburgh where your allowed to spit....the other popular spot (ER) its just expected people spit on it for different reasons ;)

* allegedly, of course!

mmmm!!!!! SOUNDS FAMILIAR LOL

Just watched that clip. Was hoping to see the wind catching some Hobos gob and blow it back onto their hibs top ;)

Do you do it?

Luck my arse the hibs have been spitting on it for :107years:

chester copperpot

Only ever done it once, we beat Hibs 3-0.

I swear thats true, never done it since or before it.

Never spat on it myself but some times i think people get mixed up with Tradition and rumour.Just wonder when it was first spat on?

Mac_fae_Gillie

Was always told spitting on the HoM was as an act of rebellian ref' the portious riots as the HoM is the location of the tollbooth layed as a symbol after Walter Scots novel.Like most things its a long dead tradition been no one can even remember the reason.

To much gobbing now would just send some poor git ass over tit and try to sue the council.

It's a nice tradition tho I think.

The only tradition attached to Hibernians is getting humped of Hearts

I never walk past without spitting on it.

I don't see that it's got anything to do with the team I love, it's an Edinburgh tradition, it's just something I always do and always will.

Still it'll be nice to see this thread turn into an "I'm a better supporter than you, because I don't spit on the Heart of Midlothian", thread!

Ok, it is a while back but I was told in history classes that the HOM replaced a grill which opened to an underground cell. A condemned man was kept in that cell the night before he was hung. The grill gave the citizens a chance to spit at the condemned and so by venting their wrath were given good luck. The condemned was then brought up and hung on public viewing the next day

scott herbertson
Was always told spitting on the HoM was as an act of rebellian ref' the portious riots as the HoM is the location of the tollbooth layed as a symbol after Walter Scots novel.Like most things its a long dead tradition been no one can even remember the reason.

To much gobbing now would just send some poor git ass over tit and try to sue the council.

That's what i was told around 50 years ago

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Gobbing is ****ing disgusting but I always do it when I pass it.

I'm usually absolutely blootered and on my way to the Liquid Room mind you ...

Ok, it is a while back but I was told in history classes that the HOM replaced a grill which opened to an underground cell. A condemned man was kept in that cell the night before he was hung. The grill gave the citizens a chance to spit at the condemned and so by venting their wrath were given good luck. The condemned was then brought up and hung on public viewing the next day

that's what i've heard. let's call it a FACT.

hobos are the most likely football supporters to end up as guest of Her Majesty.... FACT.

therefore, spitting on the HoM is like spitting on Hibs fans. FACT.

Nothing to do with tradition like, but I just couldn't spit on anything that even remotely looks like the Hearts badge.

I did take a picture of my son standing in it with his Hearts kit on. Also about ten tourists as well that day.

Showing contempt for the law? LOL!

Nothing to do with tradition like, but I just couldn't spit on anything that even remotely looks like the Hearts badge.

I did take a picture of my son standing in it with his Hearts kit on. Also about ten tourists as well that day.

Showing contempt for the law? LOL!

Nope.

Just wont do it. Numerous reasons. Mingingness being one.

The Real Maroonblood
Only ever done it once, we beat Hibs 3-0.

I swear thats true, never done it since or before it.

As long as your gob was clear and not green.

As long as your gob was clear and not green.

Always gob on the Heart of Midlothian - guranteed to bring good luck. Even showed my daughters the tradition when they were toddlers. The whole family gobs there weherever we get the chance. When we were kids and up in the High Street we always made a gobbing trip, even if it meant a bit of a detour. Proud tradition, nothing to do with football - but you can link your dose of good luck into that.

I suppose the non-gobbers never pee at Tynie. :) I would never dream of that.

Yep I gob on it! How lady like eh?

Last time I did it was the day before Csaba signed on!

Yep I gob on it! How lady like eh?

Last time I did it was the day before Csaba signed on!

Lol me too, must be something in the name. Last time was a couple of weeks ago after we left Albanach. Myself and my Jambo mate educated our Highland, Falkirk, Fife and non-football-supporting Edinburger friends about the tradition.

Always enjoy the look on japanese tourist faces when I'm preparing a big hock up for the 20ft before it... then they see you let loose and give knowing nods...

got a picture of it on my phone, all covered in gob.

even my mum does it (and she DESPISES gobbing..)

As far as I'm concerned it's a tradition older than America, so I'm gonna do it even though I have no idea how it started.

Altogether now...hoooccchhhkkkkkk... Ptoooee!...

Splat.

Always do as well. Especially if there's a bunch of tourists in the proximity.

It's not spitting on the Hearts badge. As has beem mentioned, the symbol marks the site of a gaol and long pre-dates HMFC, itself named after a dance-hall which in turn took it's name from a novel by Sir walter Scott

Always enjoy the look on japanese tourist faces when I'm preparing a big hock up for the 20ft before it... then they see you let loose and give knowing nods...

got a picture of it on my phone, all covered in gob.

even my mum does it (and she DESPISES gobbing..)

As far as I'm concerned it's a tradition older than America, so I'm gonna do it even though I have no idea how it started.

Altogether now...hoooccchhhkkkkkk... Ptoooee!...

Splat.

I was told it was good luck by my Dad, who's not even from the 'burgh or a Hearts fan.

In primary school, we were taken on a trip to the Royal Mile and when our tour guide stopped us at the heart, our teacher warned us there was to be no spitting.

Being a superstitious youngster, I thought 'feck that'... and when our tour guide had finished her babble and started to guide us down the hill, I held back and let fly with a massive lougie (sp?). Which caused a few others to charge back and do the same.

Our teacher made the entire class write individual apology letters to the posh bint who had shown us round for our 'uncouth' behaviour.

I've also associated dropping a big glob of flem on the heart with that rather than the football team I support.

Did it on Monday night shortly before catching the sleeper back to London. I passed Christian Nade eyeing up the City of the Dead tour about ten seconds afterwards.

He looked thinner so it obviously works.

Colonel Kurtz

Most Southsiders will always spit on it,it is meant to bring good luck .

We were told it was the site of the old jail where prisoners were kept before execution.

It used to be like throwing coins out of the train window when crossing the forth bridge... a tradition

only done it a couple o times that was at night when there was not many people about, could never do it during day when all the tourists look at u in discuss

Always do (don't actually know why, though) and occasionally make a detour just to make sure I get it done on my all-too-rare visits to Auld Reekie.

heartgarfunkel

I was long told the spot marked the door of the Tolbooth, and spitting on it was to show contempt for the town's government. This is likely as Edinburgh's mob, and the nature of the narrow streets etc, meant that rioting in protest at unpopular measures was commonplace, especially in the 18th century. The Town Guard were given a terrible time. The other account of it marking an execution site would make sense if the heart is on the area of the raised platform that abutted the west side of the building.

http://www.edinburgh-royalmile.com/history/old-illust/old-tolbooth1.jpg

I always gob on it for good luck although I always feel a bit uneasy on gobbing on it due to the connection with the glorious.

Maybe we should cover it with a Hibs strip for a few hours to make some people feel a bit better about it. Mind you I would probably do a Tom Kite instead.

Always.

Regardless of wether there are tourists standing taking pictures or whatever.

Same here. It's traditional.

Archived