Johnny Haynes

naeclue

Some people may remember Johnny Haynes, a great footballer for Fulham and England, who stood on the terraces for many years at Tynecastle after he stopped playing. Lovely man, and a good jambo.

Fulham fans are trying to build a statue of Johnny, who stuck with Fulham throughout his playing career, when he could have moved on easily.

Figure some folks might be interested in chipping in, here is the link:

http://www.johnnyhaynesstatue.com/statue/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=44:themaestro&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=50

How to donate on the left hand side.

Sticky possible?

Remember him being the pundit at a derby when Neil Berry nailed stephen Wright (I think formerly of Abredeen). Think he ended up getting strechered of.

Johnny says something like "fair tackle, ball was there to be one, had to go for it, looked OK to me" while the hobo was lying in a heap.

Class act.

Remember him being the pundit at a derby when Neil Berry nailed stephen Wright (I think formerly of Abredeen). Think he ended up getting strechered of.

Johnny says something like "fair tackle, ball was there to be one, had to go for it, looked OK to me" while the hobo was lying in a heap.

Class act.

Paul Wright i think it was.

Yes a good old Jambo was Jonny, met him once some years back, hated Hibs with a passion and a very nice man to talk to.

3fingersreid

he actually ended up working in the canteen at waddies the printers where I worked and your right he hated hibs and he made the comment about neil berry and p wright the hobo player

It would be nice if our club hmfc could organise a donation, via the supporters i would gladly donate myself.The man was a legend at fulham fc and attached his goodself to us

when he stayed here.

Midloth_Iain

I think we should organise a Mauricio Pinilla statue.

Perhaps at the entrance to Tiger Lily in George Street, I hear he was a legend in there ? ;)

Great idea by the Fulham fans by the way !! :)

It would be nice if our club hmfc could organise a donation, via the supporters i would gladly donate myself.The man was a legend at fulham fc and attached his goodself to us

when he stayed here.

You can send cheques to the statue fund, details here:

http://www.johnnyhaynesstatue.com/statue/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=46:how-to-donate&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=54

The Fulham fans have asked that this be a fans only funded tribute (I think)

Thanks for the Sticky mods.

I was annoyed that when he died there was not a minute's silence at Tyncecastle when far less deserving people have been granted a minute's silence.

Some people may remember Johnny Haynes, a great footballer for Fulham and England, who stood on the terraces for many years at Tynecastle after he stopped playing. Lovely man, and a good jambo.

Fulham fans are trying to build a statue of Johnny, who stuck with Fulham throughout his playing career, when he could have moved on easily.

Figure some folks might be interested in chipping in, here is the link:

http://www.johnnyhaynesstatue.com/statue/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=44:themaestro&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=50

How to donate on the left hand side.

i remember the incident when he passed away seen it all , all i can say is i'm sorry and wish i could contribute but i can't.

Sticky possible?

i remember the incident when he passed away seen it all , all i can say is i'm sorry and wish i could contribute but i can't.

• 1 month later...

Got an update from the Johnny Haynes Statue guys, nice mention of Hearts at the end:

"...Dear significant all, this e-mail is to thank you all for your support, whether moral or physical in the pursuit of a statue to a great player, one who arguably put Fulham firmly and indelibly on the map through his exploits. To those who volunteered their time and got involved with the bucket collections, you are special, you have helped raise the awareness of our aim; to those who gave moral support, thank you for sustaining my belief that this should be done.

I can reveal that on Saturday the 18th of October 2008, the anniversary of Johnny's demise, at the match against Sunderland at Craven Cottage the club plans to unveil the statue.

As the club is usually somewhat slow in revealing important news, I felt that it is the very least I can do to advise you of this before you read about it a week after the event!

Although the statue should be erected that day, the funding is still not complete, I have a meeting on the 8th of October with FFC and will be told what has been raised to date. To that end it is not over yet, but we will see the fruits of our labours before we have finished collecting donations. It will naturally be difficult in getting new funds once people see the statue 'up' but I hope you will all spread the word that there is still money to be raised to keep this very much the efforts of the fans of Fulham FC..

Once more - thank you, all of you, and I will be as excited as the rest of you on the day - please try to ensure you are able to attend that day! - Very best regards - Ed (LBNo11)

PS: I will of course deny having ever sent this to you all, you must eat this e-mail after reading it!

PPS: A final note of thanks to the fans of Johnny's adopted team in Scotland, Hearts, they have been as enthusiastic as some of the Fulham fans for this cause - I will forever more keep a look out for their scores - Slangiva!"

scott herbertson
Got an update from the Johnny Haynes Statue guys, nice mention of Hearts at the end:

"...Dear significant all, this e-mail is to thank you all for your support, whether moral or physical in the pursuit of a statue to a great player, one who arguably put Fulham firmly and indelibly on the map through his exploits. To those who volunteered their time and got involved with the bucket collections, you are special, you have helped raise the awareness of our aim; to those who gave moral support, thank you for sustaining my belief that this should be done.

I can reveal that on Saturday the 18th of October 2008, the anniversary of Johnny's demise, at the match against Sunderland at Craven Cottage the club plans to unveil the statue.

As the club is usually somewhat slow in revealing important news, I felt that it is the very least I can do to advise you of this before you read about it a week after the event!

Although the statue should be erected that day, the funding is still not complete, I have a meeting on the 8th of October with FFC and will be told what has been raised to date. To that end it is not over yet, but we will see the fruits of our labours before we have finished collecting donations. It will naturally be difficult in getting new funds once people see the statue 'up' but I hope you will all spread the word that there is still money to be raised to keep this very much the efforts of the fans of Fulham FC..

Once more - thank you, all of you, and I will be as excited as the rest of you on the day - please try to ensure you are able to attend that day! - Very best regards - Ed (LBNo11)

PS: I will of course deny having ever sent this to you all, you must eat this e-mail after reading it!

PPS: A final note of thanks to the fans of Johnny's adopted team in Scotland, Hearts, they have been as enthusiastic as some of the Fulham fans for this cause - I will forever more keep a look out for their scores - Slangiva!"

I'll see if I can get along for that - not far from there and many Fulham fans at work

Chad Sexington

I saw him interviewed on a number of occasions and he appeared a thoroughly decent man and a very genuine Hearts supporter.

I wasn't lucky enough to see him play but apparently he was something special.

Slangiva ??................ffffft, cockney W@nka :P

Nah but seriously, decent of the lads to give us a mention and well played on the statue front chaps.

I actually nipped along to his funeral, which was a bit naughty really as I was mainly celeb-hunting. Loads of top England blokes in attendance - Bobby Charlton, Bobby Robson etc

The wake was held in Harry's bar I believe :eek:

Not a name that many of us ( later generations ) would be that familiar with but I believe he could perhaps have lifted the 66 WC for England himself but was just at the wrong end of his International career come that time.

Loved the Hearts like a native too.

Always good to hear of players being remembered in this way... how good would a W.Bauld statue look in Gorgie.....

Any way, fitting that its Sunderland that are playing so Gordon can represent his adopted club.

Archived