Is Shabba Picking the Team?

CostaJambo

Would be interested to know if other posters think Shabba has full autonomy over team/substitution selections or whether he is another manager who Vlad has hand picked due to his willingness to take on the Hearts job with the acceptance of a certain degree of chairman input into footballing matters.

Personally I think that if Vlad was finally willing to leave footballing matters alone and concentrate only on the business side of the club he would have picked someone with more of a handle on Scottish football, therefore I conclude that Shabba is bought and paid for. If I was working in Uganda and was offered the opportuntity to work in Edinburgh under certain constraints I know which one I'd choose!!!

Geoff Kilpatrick

I think Csaba has full autonomy over team selection in all its guises. The Banks affair was turned into a fiasco by Vlad and his mouth.

He doesn't have autonomy over transfers but then not many managers do these days.

Jam Tarts 1874
Would be interested to know if other posters think Shabba has full autonomy over team/substitution selections or whether he is another manager who Vlad has hand picked due to his willingness to take on the Hearts job with the acceptance of a certain degree of chairman input into footballing matters.

Personally I think that if Vlad was finally willing to leave footballing matters alone and concentrate only on the business side of the club he would have picked someone with more of a handle on Scottish football, therefore I conclude that Shabba is bought and paid for. If I was working in Uganda and was offered the opportuntity to work in Edinburgh under certain constraints I know which one I'd choose!!!

If Romanov is influencing team selection why has Miko not started any league games? Wait, I know what you are going to say, Romanov instructed Csaba to start with Miko on the bench to look like there is no interference! :P

Pants Shaton

If he was, he would have answered with a simple 'yes' tonight.

He said the team is selected following discussion with Korbotchjob and Romanov - that's a 'no' for me.

I think he probably is, but the formation isnt his.

And this makes me wonder if there are further criteria.

Look, you choose the players but 3 must be under 20.

Or, you choose, but one midfielder needs to be a defender

Quite a few things about last nights team and subs didnt make an awful lot of sense given the pre-match conference and the way the game panned out

If Romanov is influencing team selection why has Miko not started any league games? Wait, I know what you are going to say, Romanov instructed Csaba to start with Miko on the bench to look like there is no interference! :P

I accept your point but I still maintain that if he was going to give his manager full autonomy he would have raised his hopes a bit higher than the Uganda coach. Still maintain we should have gone for Paul Lambert (cue pelters!!).

He said the team is selected following discussion with Korbotchjob and Romanov - that's a 'no' for me.

Fair point. Simply argued

Toxteth O'Grady

Last night Tam Ritchie had a wee bit of paper with the penalty takers on it.

It was picked in consultaton with Mole and Miko in the dugout.

loveofthegame

I don't believe he has full autonomy. I can't shake off the feeling that Romanov still has a few picks, and influences formation.

I doubt Kello ~(who i've actually been quite impressed with), Karipidis in midfield or Eggert at RB where Csaba's picks.

I may well be wrong, i really hope i am.

I'm starting to not care about who picks the team anymore.

Partly because we've been over this issue non-stop for the last three years and it is frustrating and also because of some of the nonsense that gets posted on here.

I don't know who picks the team. I'm still clinging to the hope that it is Csaba. One thing that really irritates me is when people come on here with awful posts such as "They 2 Liths came off the bench in the Airdrie game so Romanov must be picking the team".

It just doesn't make any sense. Surely all the Lithuanians would start if it was Romanov picking the team? If all he wants is Kaunas players starting then why have Kizys, Beniusis, Kancelskis, Ivaskevicius, Pilibaitis etc been sent back to Kaunas. Each of them having rarely even played.

Ryan Gosling
I don't believe he has full autonomy. I can't shake off the feeling that Romanov still has a few picks, and influences formation.

I doubt Kello ~(who i've actually been quite impressed with), Karipidis in midfield or Eggert at RB where Csaba's picks.

I may well be wrong, i really hope i am.

Csaba talked about moving Eggert to right back, and trained with him there for a week - I'm pretty sure he had an input.

loveofthegame
Csaba talked about moving Eggert to right back, and trained with him there for a week - I'm pretty sure he had an input.

That may be true. Like i said i was only going on my thoughts. Even if so i maintain that Kello and Kari in the midfield (a player who'd packed his bags ready to go home to Greece) are Romanov picks.

Father Tiresias

When Csaba first arrived at the club he proclaimed he was an advocate of attacking football using the 4-4-2 formation.

We're still using last season's failed 4-5-1 which smacks of the owner influencing the formation.

As someone else has already said, Csaba has stated that the team is picked by a selection committee. It's just a question of who is in that committee and taken that it's a given that the owner chooses the formation, then I'd be surprised if he's not involved in team selection.

Francis Albert

Even if that is an exact quote, it simply isn't a "no".

The Wicker Man

Even Stevie Wonder could recognise that we would be better playing 442 - especially at home - with our current squad.

Surely Csaba could convince VR that playing the salt and pepper pots up-front with the half empty red wine glass in support is the way to go ;)

I'm not bothered who picks the team.

I'm more concerned about the frailties & limitations of the current squad.

Add to that the fact we play 4-5-1 which contradicts what Csaba seems to believe in ie 4-4-2.

We've got much bigger issues than who picks the team.

if hes picking the team why put a centre back at dm when ruben and eggert re there and then put a dm at rb romanov still picking some off the team i thinks and then brings in another dm from kaunas we must have more defensive mids than any other team in the spl or do i sound paranoid lol

Drylaw Hearts

I think Csaba picks 80% of the team.

I don't think the formation is his choice.

I think only 2 of the 5 signings so far have been his - Obua and Balogh.

As I posted in another thread a couple of days ago - all of the 'managers' since Rixxy have said that they pick the team ...

http://sport.scotsman.com/sport/Lasz...all.4428841.jp

Hopefully he will have that right as he has shown positive signs of being a proper manager so far.

However, there is a bit of a heavy burden of history on this issue - all these guys supposedly picked the team according to these reports:

Malofeev

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/foot...em/6113946.stm

Valdas

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/foot...an/5264234.stm

Frail

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/foot...an/7168067.stm

Rixxy

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/233...-the-team.html

Korobochka

http://icscotland.icnetwork.co.uk/sp...0141-18712688/

jack D and coke

Add to that the fact we play 4-5-1 which contradicts what Csaba seems to believe in ie 4-4-2.

I am bothered who picks the team and the frailties of the squad are magnified by this god forsaken 4-5-1 we play every f***** week. Csaba said he plays a 4-4-2, we continue to play 4-5-1. Csaba says players have a 100% chance of playing on the day of the game. I reckon most managers know a couple of days before what their team will be barring any last minute injuries. Fudbox is still meddling.

Bungalow Bill
He doesn't have autonomy over transfers but then not many managers do these days.

I would say that the majority of managers have full control over transfers, they are told a budget and they will work within it. The manager should be in charge of all things football, one person buying and one person coaching does not work, surely the last 2 seasons would show that.

Cut The Crap

Of course he doesn't have full autonomy.

It's hard to believe that this question is still being asked.

Of course he doesn't have full autonomy.

It's hard to believe that this question is still being asked.

What annoys me is that the 'managers' might be told to feed the fans untruths about who picks the team.

Cut The Crap
What annoys me is that the 'managers' might be told to feed the fans untruths about who picks the team.

To be fair, the only manager I think who actually told a bare-faced lied was Valdas at Ibrox when he said that Craig Gordon was injured.

The rest, including Csaba, have been - let's be charitable - evasive on this issue. I suppose it depends on where you draw the line.

Guest JamboRobbo

Nope, and the noises coming from the shareholders meetings seem to confirm that VR and AK have their input.

I'll be askig him myself next week when the ST holders get their chance to meet Csaba

Guest JamboRobbo

Thats the bottom line. If he has full control, it's easy to say yes, I've got full control.

If he doesn't, you get all sorts of round about ways of avoiding answering the question.

Francis Albert

Why did Frail say that "it was my team" AFTER he had parted company by "mutual consent". It must be a powerful confidentiality clause that requires people to continue to lie after their employment has ended.

Sort of, but Vlad will always interfere. Don't know why this always gets discussed. Vlad ain't going to change the habits of a lifetime.

You obviously have no clue on how a football club should be run.

Why did Frail say that "it was my team" AFTER he had parted company by "mutual consent". It must be a powerful confidentiality clause that requires people to continue to lie after their employment has ended.

I don't know. Why did Frail say that? Why did any of the 'managers' say that they picked the team?

Did you think that Basso deserved to be dropped after his fantastic display away at Kilmarnock? That Frail picked Goncalves rather than Wallace? That Glen on his own up front was solely Frail's decision?

Does Csaba have full control over team selection? Absolutely not. Anyone that believes otherwise is kidding themselves.

On Wednesday, Csaba says Ruben will play. Ruben doesn't play.

During the game, we are cyring out for another striker to be brought on, and to change to 4-4-2. Instead, that useless clown Audrey comes on, when it should have been Nade.

There is, and always will be, interferance in team selection/subs/tactics from the lunatic.

:mad:

I don't know. Why did Frail say that? Why did any of the 'managers' say that they picked the team?

Did you think that Basso deserved to be dropped after his fantastic display away at Kilmarnock? That Frail picked Goncalves rather than Wallace? That Glen on his own up front was solely Frail's decision?

I would have played Goncalves before Wallace every time !

I don't think Csaba has full control over team selection but he is very enthusiastic and persuasive and I'm sure he will get his way more often than not.

As for tactics, the difference from last season is like night and day so these are all Csaba

"I think 4-4-2 must be our basic system. We have played 4-2-3-1, but I have told the team they must know how to play two or three different tactical systems. We have the players to play these systems and I have tried 4-4-2 in a line, 4-4-2 in a diamond and some others. I want the team to be adaptable."

Not sure how what we are playing falls into Csaba's preference

I would have played Goncalves before Wallace every time !

I don't think Csaba has full control over team selection but he is very enthusiastic and persuasive and I'm sure he will get his way more often than not.

As for tactics, the difference from last season is like night and day so these are all Csaba

Maybe but if I remember rightly there were interviews with Frail that week saying that Lee Wallace now had the jersey.

And comments on here about how Goncalves needed to be put in the shop window. Which got him the loan move of course and perhaps the money for the club eventually. But we were going for top six at that point.

I'm beyond arguing with people about this. Romanov DOES interfere in team selection. If people want to pretend like he doesn't then fine.

The point is that even with some level of meddling he has still improved things. I think where he can take us will be limited though as he doesn't have full control over things that other managers in the league do.

I do wonder how much longer he'll be flavour of the month with the fans as more and more Romanovisms creep into the team selection as the season progresses.

Archived