Goalscoring Fullbacks

New Dawn

Ok so we'd probably settle for signing a couple of decent full backs who can defend well.

But over the last twenty or so years I'm struggling to think of any full backs who have scored at least three goals a season for Hearts over a sustained period.

At present, Lee Wallace and Robbie Neilson have only scored one and two goals competitively in their entire Hearts career :eek:

In fact, the only full back who I can think of that has scored a number of goals for Hearts has been Kenny Black over the past twenty or so years (although he was also used in midfield).

So are goalscoring full backs a dying breed or do we just never sign any?

Charlie-Brown

Mulgrew at Aberdeen has been credited with a couple already this season - most fullbacks score if they have a cracking shot or take the penalties....it depends how good their forward play is - in Robbie's case it's fairly hopeless.

loveofthegame

Naysmith could hit a ball and scored a fair few.

Maybury also had a great strike on him although didn't score many for us.

As for goalscoring fullbacks- they're not so much a dying breed, they're more a rarely was. A goalscoring fullback nowadays is likely to be playing at the very top. Fullbacks main jobs are to defend and assist in the attack rather than to actually score goals. If they can score it is really just an added bonus.

Pretty sure Frail scored a few before his injury.

Stephen Frail - 4 competitive goals in neary four years (granted he did have injuries).

In fact, the only full back who I can think of that has scored a number of goals for Hearts has been Kenny Black over the past twenty or so years (although he was also used in midfield).

KB was a midfielder not a full back. Fact.

Guest jambomickey

talking about full backs i'd like to see hearts trying to get mark wilson from celtic before the transfer window closes

talking about full backs i'd like to see hearts trying to get mark wilson from celtic before the transfer window closes

Why? He's gash. :mad:

Gary Naysmith - 4 goals in his Hearts career

Tosh McKinlay - 8 goals in his Hearts career

True enough a lot of the goals that our fullbacks have scored do tend to be a bit special (Glynn Snodin versus Slavia Prague and Naysmith versus Aberdeen spring to mind!)

he was brilliant for dundee utd! much better than anything we got just now

It's not beneficial psychologically to take rejects from Rangers FC and ra sellik. How are we expected to beat them if our players are standing in the tunnel thinking "I was emptied by them because I'm not good enough"?

Far better to bring in players that are untainted by the OF.

Wilson? He's played 30-40 for Celtic in 3 seasons, makes some of our squad look like workhorses.

True enough a lot of the goals that our fullbacks have scored do tend to be a bit special (Glynn Snodin versus Slavia Prague and Naysmith versus Aberdeen spring to mind!)

Austin McCann;)

Tosh McKinlay scored one or two ****ers.

Remember one up at at the sheep.

Aye we beat them 3-1.

Tosh McKinlay scored one or two ****ers.

Remember one up at at the sheep.

And the one against Hibs at Fester Road in the 4-1 New Year win?

I bet that Tosh had quite a few assists too. He was a pretty decent crosser of the ball.

I bet that Tosh had quite a few assists too. He was a pretty decent crosser of the ball.

Remember it well, mate - was a game on the old BSKYB.

Mackay - Levein -Mckinlay and??

Who was the other scorer?

Jambo_in_Madrid

Tosh also scored with an absolute rocket in a 4-0 victory against Killie if I remember correctly.

Remember it well, mate - was a game on the old BSKYB.

Mackay - Levein -Mckinlay and??

Who was the other scorer?

It was Dave McPherson.

I think that Gary MacKay scored an own goal too and if I'm not mistaken was the equal top goalscorer at Fester Road at that stage of the season.

God I used to love seeing us play them there back then as our record was superb.

It was Dave McPherson.

I think that Gary MacKay scored an own goal too and if I'm not mistaken was the equal top goalscorer at Fester Road at that stage of the season.

God I used to love seeing us play them there back then as our record was superb.

Cheers, New Dawn. That was a hell of a night.

Tosh McKinlay was a bloody great player for the Hearts.

George Cowie at Muirton Park....bueaty.

Cheers, New Dawn. That was a hell of a night.

Tosh McKinlay was a bloody great player for the Hearts.

One of my favourite games too. The 3-0 game after the Mercer "takeover" would be right up there too.

My favourite Hearts Full backs of the last 20 years:

Fyssas

McKinlay

Naysmith

Pointon

Frail (I'm convinced her would have been capped but for injuries)

It's certainly a lot easier to name decent Hearts left backs than right backs too which is slightly strange.

132goals1958
One of my favourite games too. The 3-0 game after the Mercer "takeover" would be right up there too.

My favourite Hearts Full backs of the last 20 years:

Fyssas

McKinlay

Naysmith

Pointon

Frail (I'm convinced her would have been capped but for injuries)

It's certainly a lot easier to name decent Hearts left backs than right backs too which is slightly strange.

I agree as further back we had George Thomson, Davie Holt & Peter Oliver who were all top drawer. Dont understand why there was no one comparable on the other flank. In an all time Hearts great eleven someone would have to cover to fill this position.

loveofthegame

I've got the match ball from that game, as my old mans company sponsored it! 3-1 on a Wed night if i'm correct. Hammy got man of the match so the ball is signed by him. Still got the Tynie mud on it... Sad i know!

Archived