Diddy cup exit - shamefull

Cow

Since our defeat against Airdrie there has been split opinion on the result.

Some calling for the so called diddy cup to be scrapped and others accusing posters of being drama queens for voicing their dissapointment at exiting the cup at this early stage.

On the other hand there are posters like myself who are extremely unhappy about getting beat of lower league opposition and are quite ****ed of about it.We have gone from the third force in Scottish football to a team whos supporters would be quite happy if we finish in the top 6 and think that getting beat of lower league opposition in any cup is nothing to worry about.

Sorry Luke but I was calling for the diddy cup to be scrapped before the game was played.

Just look at the crowds . . nobody really cares.

its certainly a concern getting pumped out last night but we are not the first and willnot be last to get beat of lower league oppostion in cup comps.

Finishing top 6 is not good enough and i think many posters will agree with me but we need to get settled again and getting into the top 6 will be an improvement on last season. What we need to hope for is that we have this manager in place for a couple of seasons instead of 6 months, so that he can stamp whatever authority is is being allowed on the team.

One step at a time but i fear that another season like we had last season maybe the last straw for many hearts fans

yeh but if we were winning the cup every 2 or 3 years i think it would be a crowd puller , after all , a cup is a cup.

Some calling for the so called diddy cup to be scrapped and others accusing posters of being drama queens for voicing their dissapointment at exiting the cup at this early stage.

On the other hand there are posters like myself who are extremely unhappy about getting beat of lower league opposition and are quite ****ed of about it.We have gone from the third force in Scottish football to a team whos supporters would be quite happy if we finish in the top 6 and think that getting beat of lower league opposition in any cup is nothing to worry about.

We went out to 1st division Livingston when George Burley was our manager, did you want him to be sacked after that? It's a diddy cup!

I have seen far worse performances from Hearts than what I witnessed last night. Do you expect Csaba to turn 2 years of crap teams around in the space of a few weeks?

yeh but if we were winning the cup every 2 or 3 years i think it would be a crowd puller , after all , a cup is a cup.

Even if we did win it every now and again, it takes two to tango. The crowds are rank rotten for ALL the games in the competition so just because we add a few thousand home support at Tynie won't increase the number of opposition fans - cos they don't give a toss either.

The sponsorship doesn't amount to much, there is no TV cash, no Euro place for the winner, big teams put out reserve sides and the fans don't turn up (neither did Hearts last night).

We would get more out of a revived East of Scotland Shield game against Hibs. At least we'd get some banter going

Chad Sexington

I'm over it.

I wasn't happy last night but it's not the same as being pumped out the Scottish cup. That does hurt.

Hopefully there will be a vast improvement against Hamilton.

The diddy cup is seriously unsexy mind you.

Crap crowds, crap atmospheres, crap games.(When Hearts are involved anyway)

They should scrap it for an Anglo Scottish cup. That could be fun. :)

Thig Ar Latha

Ok, a bad result, but it was only the Diddy Cup. On the bright side, when Burley was here we were put out by Livingston and we went on to win the Big Cup that year. :cool:

shaun.lawson

When we were the 'third force in Scottish football', we:

- Lost away to Dunfermline in the League Cup early in 97/8

- got pumped 3-0 by St Johnstone in the League Cup semis

- got pumped 3-1 at Motherwell in the Scottish Cup

- played quite disgracefully in losing 1-0 at Rugby Park in a League Cup quarter-final

- Got pumped 4-0 at Falkirk in the Scottish Cup

- Blew a fantastic opportunity to win the League Cup by losing 1-0 at Dens to a club in administration

- Lost 1-0 at Livingston in the League Cup while top of the league

And these were all at a time when Hearts were regarded throughout Scottish football as the third force. Otherwise, I could've mentioned Inverness Caley, Ross County, Dunfermline two seasons ago, Hibs two seasons ago, the 4-4 game at Dundee, and many more besides! I'm hardly celebrating that we got knocked out - but in the great scheme of things, given the progress we've seen early on in the league and that the CIS is a diddy cup, I really don't think it's much of a big deal.

hearts_crazy

Yeah, 'cos we're the first 'big' team ever to get knocked out a cup by a lower division team in the history of football. FFS, it happens,, nobody died, get over it.

Yeah, 'cos we're the first 'big' team ever to get knocked out a cup by a lower division team in the history of football. FFS, it happens,, nobody died, get over it.

Its not just about the cup its about the way we (as supporters)have dropped our standards and most supporters would be happy with a top 6 finish.

WE are in no position to call it a diddy cup and we are starting to sound like Rangers or Celtic fans.Maybe a UEFA cup place would make a difference.

I can't speak for anyone else but I am not upset that we were knocked out of the cup, but I'm upset at the WAY we were knocked out, not the shoot out but during the game, we created very little and we couldn't overcome a first division side at home, I know they made it hard for us, they deserved to go through, we didn't show enough to merit a place in the 3rd round. It hurts me to type that but it's true.

I hope the players remember that night when the Scottish Cup starts in January, days out at Hampden are made by winning those games, and that's what it is all about, days out with family and friends to watch your team play in finals and semi finals. It's what football's about.

I would wager that no other Premier team has fared worse than Hearts in recent times, and our record against lower division teams in cup competitions is woeful!

It is one of only 3 competitions we enter every year, to get put out in the first round is pathetic. We can make all the excuses we like why we once again have been beaten by a lower league club, but it is now 45 years since we won it!

With our dismally small Silverware wins in our history I cannot understand why we kid ourselves on that it doesnt matter!

When the draw was first made, how many people said it was a rubbish competition? We all thought Great, wee Airdrie at home, it will be a bye into the next round!

I'm over it.

I wasn't happy last night but it's not the same as being pumped out the Scottish cup. That does hurt.

Hopefully there will be a vast improvement against Hamilton.

The diddy cup is seriously unsexy mind you.

Crap crowds, crap atmospheres, crap games.(When Hearts are involved anyway)

They should scrap it for an Anglo Scottish cup. That could be fun. :)

...OR return to using it as the season opener:

SPL teams would join the comp on the first Saturday of the season (getting rid of these pish friendlies with 10 subs a side- and I include that ****e game versus Barca).

Sunshine(maybe!), enthusiasm and effort would enhance the competition no end. Add qualification for Europe, Semis on a Saturday and the Final as the showpiece end to the first half of the season and you have a worthwhile second cup competition.

And for those who bemoan the loss of a Euro place for League positions, remember that the SPL is a fait accompli and 2 Cups is twice the chance of Europe for most teams and supporters.

ps The alternative is to reduce it to a cup for younger players, blah, blah,...

Archived