ISO 9001

Paul_C

Our company is looking at implementing this into the business, anyone got experience of this in their workplace?

Think I'm gonna get the pleasure of project managing this and I've no idea where to start. I know what the basic ideas of ISO 9001 are but looking for some ideas about the first steps towards certification / registration...:eek:

You can download a copy of the requirements from the International Standards Website mate.

Essentially you have to show that whatever business you are in you can prove that the work is completed/checked/approved sufficiently that you can say you are confident in the overall quality.

In reality ISO 9001 (just like 14001 the environmental equivalent) is not worth the paper its written on IMHO. All it shows is that you can acredit yourself to goals which are essentially defined by yourself....the only problem is that its is used by companies as a requirement when they are looking for contractors etc, so you have to have it - even though it is pointless!!!

Thanks Trotter, I'll check that out...

I know the majority of employees are just gonna be hacked off at new forms and procedures being put in place but we feel we need it as it will help when we're pitching for new business :sad:

Miller Jambo 60
Thanks Trotter, I'll check that out...

I know the majority of employees are just gonna be hacked off at new forms and procedures being put in place but we feel we need it as it will help when we're pitching for new business :sad:

Thats what its all about, documentation and proof that your work practices are correct.

Our company is looking at implementing this into the business, anyone got experience of this in their workplace?

Think I'm gonna get the pleasure of project managing this and I've no idea where to start. I know what the basic ideas of ISO 9001 are but looking for some ideas about the first steps towards certification / registration...:eek:

Sent you a PM mate. Sad to say - I've worked on this stuff for the last 20 odd years :eek: Can certainly give you some pointers.

Sent you a PM mate. Sad to say - I've worked on this stuff for the last 20 odd years :eek: Can certainly give you some pointers.

Just outta curiosity - whats your opinion of it? I know mine above is kinda cynical but I do realise that its essentially now a benchmark for companies even if not a legal requirement.

Just outta curiosity - whats your opinion of it? I know mine above is kinda cynical but I do realise that its essentially now a benchmark for companies even if not a legal requirement.

It is easy to be cynical about it when confronted by a great many p!$h consultants and badly implemented systems.

IMO it can be useful if its used for the benefit of the company and you get the management to understand it and use it correctly. Too many misunderstand it and say you have to do something (often something stupid) because its an ISO9000 requirement - when its clearly not. Thats when the whole thing can correctly be described as a pile of poo!!!!:(

The Wicker Man

It's not too bad if your procedures set out are easily 'doable' - don't set really high targets as it's not really necessary.

The biggest pain I found was keeping documentation revisions updated.

We implimented ISO 9001 at our work. Didn't go down too well. I work with software developers who would rather be writing code than documentation

It's not too bad if your procedures set out are easily 'doable' - don't set really high targets as it's not really necessary.

The biggest pain I found was keeping documentation revisions updated.

See, thats my gripe with it...as you essentially set your own targets all you're really doing is comparing yourself with...well, yourself! :banghead: :banghead:

Archived