Players that never made the grade in football

Goose Baxter

Goose Baxter

Do any Jambos know off any player who were destined for great things but things never worked out and never made it to the top?

Can be any player to have played in the uk at any level.

One that springs to mind for me is Robert Huth. Big things were expected of him as a youngster at Chelsea and although he is still with Boro he has never hit the heights that are expected off him.

Paul McStay comes to mind. He stopped getting better at 18.

Well said, one of the most over rated and over hyped players ever. But hey, he played for Celtic.

Eoin Jess springs to mind before anyone that played for us. I don't think "Magic" Johnston, Paul Ritchie & "Judas" Webster ever reached there true potential either, and all have something in common!

A guy called Lindsay Dunsmuir who went to the same school as me. Absolute wonder kid, did his knee and is now a lawyer in London.

Went to the same school as Levein, Durie and Pressley and would have outshone all of them.

A guy called Lindsay Dunsmuir who went to the same school as me. Absolute wonder kid, did his knee and is now a lawyer in London.

Went to the same school as Levein, Durie and Pressley and would have outshone all of them.

very true... fantastic player and a decent bloke with it...shame bout him.... same as colin scott.. both at u16s together.. both had knee injuries that stopped their potential

The People's Chimp

Eoin Jess absolutely.

One player who I thought looked great when he burst into the hearts team was paul mcmullan. Started to believe his own hype by all accounts and levein binned him.

Eoin Jess absolutely.

One player who I thought looked great when he burst into the hearts team was paul mcmullan. Started to believe his own hype by all accounts and levein binned him.

Agree with Jess.

Also Simon Donnelly and Mark Burchill at Celtic.

very true... fantastic player and a decent bloke with it...shame bout him.... same as colin scott.. both at u16s together.. both had knee injuries that stopped their potential

Colin Scott..... Hahahaha. Is that you Scotty? It is, isn't it? Yer a wag!

Ray Winstone

That stephen Hughes boy - signed for Arsenal back in the late 90s for like 3million and was a complete flop!

The People's Chimp
Kiegan Parker was tipped for greatness and god only knows where he ended up.

sleeping with jade goody apparently.:eek:

Frank Glancy

started drinking smoking all that stuff that stops people from being good footballers and just gave up.

Joe Reilly

Same thing smoking and drinking.

Uncle Bobby B
sleeping with jade goody apparently.:eek:

This is true, he is best mates with my wee cousin and he should me picture of them in bed together... What a sight, it made me sick!!!

Marco Pelosi - slept with ashley coles burd i think.

as for players who i think didn't quite make it.

Steven Fletcher

Frank Glancy

started drinking smoking all that stuff that stops people from being good footballers and just gave up.

Joe Reilly

Same thing smoking and drinking.

IS Frank from Edinburgh? If it's the same guy he could have made a career of cage fighting.:)

Darren Murray, Hearts coach.

Ray Winstone
Marco Pelosi - slept with ashley coles burd i think.

as for players who i think didn't quite make it.

Steven Fletcher

He did indeed get sloppy seconds from the bird that Cole cheated on Cheryl with.

I met her in person after a game at Starks park and lets just say that the pictures of her in the papers were flattering and Ashley must have had the old beer goggles on full power.

The Old Tolbooth
This is true, he is best mates with my wee cousin and he should me picture of them in bed together... What a sight, it made me sick!!!

Ha ha ha!!

I really hope you weren't about to eat when he sent you that text :D

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Burchill for sure - looked awesome at first.

Gerry Creaney.

Kevin Queen - remember him?

Terry Cooke at Man U.

Goose Baxter

They boy Denilson from Brazil, Massive things where expected of him at france 98 and the boy was utter gash. Went to Real Betis after the world cup but never made it to the top.

Bert Le Clos

These players have arguably "made it" in football but certainly haven't lived up to their billing when theywere 1st discovered;

Jermaine Pennant - 2mill Arsenal paid for him aged 14

Freddy Adu - Labelled as the next Pele

Francis Jeffers - 8mill to Arsenal???

Michael Stewart

Jody Morris and Jon Harley were thought of as better prospects than John Terry.

Javier Porillo - broke Raul scoring records for Real youths and reserves but never made it for the 1st team.

Seth Johnson, Michael Bridges and Michael Duberry never lived up to their early hype either.

Goose Baxter
These players have arguably "made it" in football but certainly haven't lived up to their billing when theywere 1st discovered;

Jermaine Pennant - 2mill Arsenal paid for him aged 14

Freddy Adu - Labelled as the next Pele

Francis Jeffers - 8mill to Arsenal???

Michael Stewart

Jody Morris and Jon Harley were thought of as better prospects than John Terry.

Javier Porillo - broke Raul scoring records for Real youths and reserves but never made it for the 1st team.

Seth Johnson, Michael Bridges and Michael Duberry never lived up to their early hype either.

Seth Johnson was on stupid money when he was at Leeds!! Got a serious injury and never returned to the form that was expected off him

Dr Ian Malcolm

If he doesn't up his form, Wayne Rooney. Started off on fire, tipped to be a phenomenon, but the last two seasons he's not really excelled as everyone predicted. He's obviously still a very good player, just not the world beater it was thought he'd be. Time yet though.

Goose Baxter
If he doesn't up his form, Wayne Rooney. Started off on fire, tipped to be a phenomenon, but the last two seasons he's not really excelled as everyone predicted. He's obviously still a very good player, just not the world beater it was thought he'd be. Time yet though.

what do you expect??? He has been playing with Man Utd week in week out and he still has to film his Shrek movies as well.

Gie the guy a break lol

Burchill for sure - looked awesome at first.

Gerry Creaney.

Kevin Queen - remember him?

Terry Cooke at Man U.

that kevin queen known as cabana,was tipped for the top!

destroyed me years ago when he signed for hearts!also gordon abbot was the best kid in scotland at one point,but tommy mclean binned him

I would add Ian Durrant to the list, obviously had a very good career, won trophies and played in Europe with Rangers. However if it hadn't have been for he Simpson tackle he could have been a real Scottish legend, was never the same when he came back.

Uncle Bobby B

Liam Miller, but in a way a legend for making so many tattie pickers weep when he left the tattie fields for pastures new.

There was an Irish guy Paudrick something or other signed by Joe Jordan I think who was going to be the next best thing but never came to anything.

Another international player was the little Argie Ariel Ortega,was going to be the next Maradonna,got loads of caps but never lived up to his reputation.

Peter Olivers Army

Who was the young lad Liverpool signed from Oldham for an exorbitant fee and totally divebombed, maybe due to injury?

Bert Le Clos
Seth Johnson was on stupid money when he was at Leeds!! Got a serious injury and never returned to the form that was expected off him

Does that make him a good player? Leeds paid over the top for everyone, hence where they are at the moment.

Rumour has it Johnson's agent met with Risdale expecting 14K a week. When Risdale offered 21K the agent laughed and before anything could be said Risdale offered 30K!

Johnson was always average IMO.

Archived