Broken, sprained or twisted?

JALBO

Madam has just tumbled off the step at the front door and gone over on her ankle/foot. Her foot is up like a golf ball just down from her ankle bone - looks as if she has two ankle bones. Not too much bruising yet - that's about 25 minutes now since it happened. Difficult for her to put weight on it.

Any thoughts out there - could it be broken? I'll call NHS24 if JKB24 doesn't help....!!!

Best with NHS 24 tbh, they will/should ask how much pressure she can put on it, range of movement, loss of feeling etc and be able to advise if it's a bag of frozen peas or A&E!

allways wanted to be the 1st to say this but

GET HER PUMPED !!!!!!

sorry bud, but nhs24 will be the best call then a trip to the hospital

Best with NHS 24 tbh, they will/should ask how much pressure she can put on it, range of movement, loss of feeling etc and be able to advise if it's a bag of frozen peas or A&E!

Ha ha - she's got the bag of peas on already......!

sorry bud, but nhs24 will be the best call then a trip to the hospital

Yeah, we kinda know it's gonna be a call in to NHS24 - just can't be bothered with a trip to A&E - there's footie coming on the telly......:)

oh ah grantona
Madam has just tumbled off the step at the front door and gone over on her ankle/foot. Her foot is up like a golf ball just down from her ankle bone - looks as if she has two ankle bones. Not too much bruising yet - that's about 25 minutes now since it happened. Difficult for her to put weight on it.

Any thoughts out there - could it be broken? I'll call NHS24 if JKB24 doesn't help....!!!

my best advise "ice" trust me went over on ankle a few times and hard to walk on. The thing is with hospital if its broken in and out in an hour if its not you will be there for ages i have been that many times i know.

if its still bad after a day then go to hospital also try walking on it always helps to get right back up yeah it will hurt but look at footballers with sprains twists if you fall over again it broken

sorry, women play on ankle injuries. It's a well known fact that whilst they claim to have higher pain thresholds with the whole "female troubles" scenario, they are in fact pathetic when it comes to ankle injuries.

In which case, I would suggest she quits greetin aboot it and gets the dishes done!

p.s get her doon to casualty quick smart (before she puts me there!) :P

oh ah grantona
Yeah, we kinda know it's gonna be a call in to NHS24 - just can't be bothered with a trip to A&E - there's footie coming on the telly......:)

see my post long long wait if not broken

sorry, women play on ankle injuries. It's a well known fact that whilst they claim to have higher pain thresholds with the whole "female troubles" scenario, they are in fact pathetic when it comes to ankle injuries.

In which case, I would suggest she quits greetin aboot it and gets the dishes done!

Ha ha - just what I was thinking.....!

usually with a break its a bit less swollen than it would be for a lesser injury. I broke my 5th metatarsal about 8wks ago coz i missed my bottom step of the stairs in the house. Couldn't be bothered with the wait in a&e either, but glad i went in the long run altho it just depends what other injuries there are how long it takes. In saying that unless its a real bad break they tend to give you an appt for outpatients in the morning to get plaster on...once swelling has gone down. She should be able to tell if its bad enuff for a&e by herself.

R.I.C.E. is the key to treating ankle injuries.

Rest, ice, compression and elevation.

If she can't put any weight on it after a couple of hours then you definately need to go to A&E.

With most ankle injuries it's not broken, but you can be unlucky.

(I'm only a first aider, but the place I work has lots of netball, so I see ankle injuries pretty much every week).

Luckily we're right across from the WGH so we just send them there!

Susie-Jambo-66

"Sorry dear, I know you are in severe pain at the moment but i will just pop on JKB to see if they can tell me what is wrong with your foot."

Heard everything now......get her to A&E man.

This must be a nomination for the JKB Classic thread section.

"Sorry dear, I know you are in severe pain at the moment but i will just pop on JKB to see if they can tell me what is wrong with your foot."

Now then Susie, everyone knows that the first place to go for advice on anything from a damp patch to a legal help is JKB24. It is indeed the font of all knowledge, as confirmed by this thread. Our visit to A&E only told us what we already knew from the wise contributors here last night, and the 10 out of 10 award goes to BigC for R.I.C.E.......!!

Turns out madam only has a very bad sprain, and has been told to (literally) put her feet up for 72 hours (no change there then).

Its often very difficult to tell the difference between a bad sprain or a break, and because of the swelling it doesn?t really show up on the x-ray straight away. I would suggest the RICE procedure and then see how it is after a day.

Sergio Garcia

Hardly a classic thread, JKB is the first port of call especially as the man says, there is football on the telly.

And as per usual i have learned something today from this thread, the R.I.C.E technique!

JKB here for all your queries however big or small, important or trivial!!! How would we live without it!

If you are wondering if it's broken or not, it's most likely not.

If it was she's pretty much know.

If she can put any weight on it at all, it's also unlikely to be broken.

Still worth going to get x-rayed though.

We women have got pretty high pain thresholds I will have you know. You ever tried having a big thick muscle stuck inside you?????? Nah, thought not.

Funny story talking of injuries, last night, hubby was lying in bed watching telly, using a cocktail stick to pick his teeth. Anyway he had to get up for a pee and dropped his cocktail stick and couldn't find it. Climbed back into bed and rolled over to start getting a bit amorous and the cocktail stick had stuck a little into the sheet, anyway he rolled on top of it and it stuck right in his wullie!!!!!!! Hilarious, no sex for me then though.

Sounds similar to what I had...

I'll take a guess and say she's chipped a bone. If that's the case then just take BigC's advice and R.I.C.E.

Archived