Raconteurs at the Corn Exchange

frankblack

Anyone else here go to the gig?

For a band with only 2 albums of material, they played a fantastic set lasting over 100 minutes.

That is the third time I have seen them, and they were far better last night than they were at T in the Park in July - and they were good then.

The set was loaded with songs from their second album plus most of the big tracks from the first except Blue Veins, plus a big bit of improvisation and some obscure blues covers thrown in. As usual, no White Stripes songs.

Thought the interaction between Jack White and Brendan Benson was better than ever, and Jack Lawrence on bass was superb.

Only minor complaint, my clothes were dripping with sweat from the heat of the hall - was like being in a sauna fully dressed.

They finished the set with the fantastic Carolina Drama, the epic closing track of Consolers of the Lonely. All in all, an excellent gig and that will probably the last time they play 3000 capacity venues as they will surely be selling out arenas soon.

seen them in monteral a few months ago. thought they where a superb live band despite the fact i'm not a huge fan. they did not play 'broken boy soldiers' tho which i thought was strange.

on a side note is the sound quality at the corn exchange still rubbish? its been a few years since i went to anything there as it was so bad before. go to the majority of gigs in glasgow seeing that i live through here.

seen them in monteral a few months ago. thought they where a superb live band despite the fact i'm not a huge fan. they did not play 'broken boy soldiers' tho which i thought was strange.

on a side note is the sound quality at the corn exchange still rubbish? its been a few years since i went to anything there as it was so bad before. go to the majority of gigs in glasgow seeing that i live through here.

They played Broken Boy Soldiers and most of their popular songs except Blue Veins, which I guess they replaced with Carolina Drama.

The sound seemed fine to me at the corn exchange - could make out the vocals and instruments fine.

I was just amazed at the length of the performance. Expected 70mins maximum, but their encore was about 5 songs including Many Shades of Black, Steady as she Goes, and Salute Your Solution.

Don't go through to Glasgow for too many gigs now as I don't want to drive and few gigs have bus travel put on for them from Edinburgh nowadays. For a Foo Fighters gig last year I got a phone call from Tickets Scotland the day before the gig to say the bus was cancelled. Had to get trains there and back and it was a bit tight for last train.

I was there as well (not exactly a huge surprise if you check my avatar...).

They are really benefitting from having the second album to draw material from. A couple of the other times I've seen them (last night was the sixth) there was just a wee bit too much filler in the set, like the interminable Bang Bang. They've always been a stonking live band though.

A wee bit disappointed at no Blue Veins, but the best Broken Boy Soldier I've seen made up for it and Carolina Drama was just the icing on the cake.

Well, that and the moment when Jack poured a bottle of water over his head and was all dripping wet and shiny... sorry, got a bit carried away there!

One thing I noticed last night is how much more Jack is "conducting" the band - he's clearly deciding how long an instrumental break goes on for, or how long to let a crowd sing along last for - the rest of them were watching him like hawks for the visual cues. The man's a genius.

Archived