Function room/hall for a late (11pm - 3am) party?

Diane

OK folks, I'm in a fairly desperate situation, and hope the superior knowledge of Kickbackers can help.

I'm trying to organise an after show party, so it needs to start late and finish late (preferably 3am, although 2am would do at a push).

Our usual haunt has shut down, and suggested alternatives have turned out to be unsuitable or booked on that night.

Any suggestions? The criteria are:

- will take around 60 to 75 people

- will let us provide our own disco

- reasonably central, or certainly easy car/cab journey from the Church Hill Theatre

- will do a buffet, or let us bring in our own

- don't mind that we don't arrive until 11pm

- licensed til 2 or preferably 3 am

- reasonably priced (or free - we will buy a fair bit of drink!)

Over to you guys - I'm relying on you!

polwarthjambo

try the counting house on west cross causeway. It's above the pear tree, has decent sized disco room/ballroom, a bar, central location, reasonably cheap for a pint, think it opens late. tick all the boxes i reckon.

Could always speak to the Voodoo Rooms above cafe royal, they have different parts that can be booked out and the back room should hold 60 -70!

Pretty sure the Counting House and Voodoo Rooms only have a 1am licence.

Cabaret Voltaire have got a new room up the stairs which they hire out for events, so might be worth getting in touch with them...

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Remembering that the (at least) 2am license is an absolute essential, any others that anyone can think of?

Have you tried the Merlin just a few hundred yards south of the theatre? They have a function room and as they serve meals I am sure they would do a buffet for you. I also feel sure if you paid for it they could get a license extension if necessary. Failing that try one of the bowling clubs in Blackford Road or Whitehouse Loan.

Not sure if the Orwell Lodge would be any good?

Nah, already tried the Orwell (and the Ettrick). Thanks for the suggestion though - keep them coming, please!

Will try the other suggestions today, but I'm pretty sure the Merlin is a no go as well.

Bump

Come on folks, someone must know of somewhere.

We're a lovely bunch of people that raise over ten grand a year for Macmillan Cancer Support.

We just like to have wee party til the small hours after we have done so!

Downstairs at Hudsons on Queensferry Street? That has a late license....or it used to have anyway...might be worth checking out. And downstairs at Ego...the Cocteau Lounge.....that might be free if you're not intending to do this on a Friday or Saturday night. The Wee Red Vodka Bar is available for hire...might have changed name again by now but its the one in the Cowgate.

Oh yeah, and Nicol Edwards....Niddry Street. Not sure if it still has a late license but definitely hires out some areas. And the Vaults down off the Cowgate, they'd be great for a party (if spookily atmospheric!) and I think if you speak to Mercat Tours they can help you with hiring and things.

That's me. All out of ideas. Just realised that hardly anyone seems to have a 3am license these days...unless you want to go to places where 14 year olds drink....or maybe I'm just getting old. :biggrin:

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Yes, unfortunately it is a Saturday night (27th September) which I probably should have made clear in my original post cause it does make a big difference.

Hudsons was suggested to us but is already booked that night.

Keep 'em coming, folks!

Archived