Bayern Munich '89

bighalders

Was sorting out my old football programmes last night and came across the one from the European game against Bayern when Ian Ferguson scored a screamer for a 1-0 win. What a night that was. I remember the cheeky Germans saying that Tynie must be the training ground, where is the real ground, before the game. Great memories of that night, what's yours?

ps and I've just checked to see Hobos out the cup to Morton, great night for fitba, and Hearts weren't even playing! :) :107years: :)

Jambo Martin
Was sorting out my old football programmes last night and came across the one from the European game against Bayern when Ian Ferguson scored a screamer for a 1-0 win. What a night that was. I remember the cheeky Germans saying that Tynie must be the training ground, where is the real ground, before the game. Great memories of that night, what's yours?

ps and I've just checked to see Hobos out the cup to Morton, great night for fitba, and Hearts weren't even playing! :) :107years: :)

It must have rained for about 3 days solid before the game.

Remember walking out after the final whistle and thinking that`s the worst football surface I`ve ever seen!

Was told later wee Doddie asked the groundstaff to go easy on the pitch!!:)

Harry Kinnear

Was packed in behind goal at school end and can be seen on TV at the goal, my micro second of fame. Brian Wilson, Labour MP not Beach Boy was on train back to weeg

My dad and a mate?s dad had stopped going to Tynie. In my dad?s case, he had stopped going in protest at the treatment handed out to Willie Bauld and had never been back since. My mate and I both bought our dads a seat in the stand for the game. We had seats behind them. From when they sat down, they moaned about how it wasn?t like the good old days. Then Hearts got the free kick. Both of them were up on their feet, pumping the air, hugging each other, big smiles on their face.

Its like riding a bike, you never forget.

I was the mascot in the previous round V's Vellez Mostar. When you think about European nights like that - it makes you sick that we wasted so many european ties at Murrayfield.

I'm only 24 but the biggest home Hearts crowd I've experienced(not including Barca) Was Shalke in the UEFA cup where we lost only just. The atmosphere was rubbish considering. I strongly believe it would have been a diferent outcome in a packed Tynie......anyway thats another thread for another day.

You just cant beat Tynie on a Euro night!

I was in the old family enclosure (yellow seats) in what is now section N with my sister, Grandad and dad.

I remember my dad driving to the game in a maroon Lada!!!!

I was 12 at the time and was so happy being there with my family.

I remember the smell of the hops and my grandads pipe.

The Fergie's goal - what a screamer

I remember the centrefold poster in the program of the team standing in a line

Chad Sexington

My favourite Tynie night ever

Unforgettable atmosphere and one of the best goals I've ever seen a Hearts player score.

Big Slim could have made it 2 near the end IIRC.

We were unlucky to go out over in Munich as well.

John Colquhoun terrorised them for much of the game and I think we hit the woodwork a couple of times. Bayern were hanging on at the end.

If we had have gone through we would have faced Maradona's Napoli in the semi.

What a night that would have been.

:)

I was the mascot in the previous round V's Vellez Mostar. When you think about European nights like that - it makes you sick that we wasted so many european ties at Murrayfield.

I'm only 24 but the biggest home Hearts crowd I've experienced(not including Barca) Was Shalke in the UEFA cup where we lost only just. The atmosphere was rubbish considering. I strongly believe it would have been a diferent outcome in a packed Tynie......anyway thats another thread for another day.

You just cant beat Tynie on a Euro night!

spot on mate. i thought the stuttgart game at tynie a few years back was amazing. the atmosphere was just brilliant.

As you say you cant beat tynie on a european night. hopefully we can scrap this murrayfeild idea!!!

marshallschunkychicken
I was in the old family enclosure (yellow seats) in what is now section N with my sister, Grandad and dad.

I lost the poster at the game.

A couple of years ago, I couldn't find my original programme either. Bought a mint copy off ebay, and it came with the poster still included.

Found my original programme again the next day.....

The sway at the goal at the school end, was the most frightening and exciting experience ever !

Thats what made it for me. I moved from the shed a few seasons before that and always thought it would be a bit more civilised but when we scored against them, or indeed one of the OF or vermin it was brilliant. I remember falling over the rail into the old toilets entrance when we scored a late equaliser against the huns one time. Felt a right **** but it was worth it.:o

I am def for the smoking ban however as much as it choked me the smell of pipes and my grandads cigar will forever remind me of cold winter nights at Tynecastle.

vladtheexhaler

I was also in the family enclosure, I was also 12 at the time however I travelled there in a brown fiat strada. Remember nothing of the game to be honest.

The sway at the goal at the school end, was the most frightening and exciting experience ever !

Nah, that had to be standing at the school end during a 1-1 draw with Aberdeen when the Wheatfield stand was getting built. We were packed in like sardines and when we equalised you had no choice but to surge forward with the crowd. probably the best and worst game I've ever attended.

And we were the last BRITISH team left in Europe at that point (after English clubs were banned post Heysel).

Great days.

I lost the poster at the game.

A couple of years ago, I couldn't find my original programme either. Bought a mint copy off ebay, and it came with the poster still included.

Found my original programme again the next day.....

This is what got me thinking about that night, I found programme and poster, both in mint condition, I thought god wee Doddie etc look so young, then realised it was almost twenty years ago!!!!! One of the best nights at Tynie, so was Stuggart about ten years later

championsleaguefan

I can top the maroon Lada we drove to the game in my Dads orange Skoda parked at West Bryson Road probaly as we always parked outside the milk depot. what a night was in the Gorgie road end standing behind the goals. what a night.

The Old Tolbooth

I remember thinking that the club were ripping us off because they put the prices up to ?10 a ticket!!!

Goldstone Wonder
And we were the last BRITISH team left in Europe at that point (after English clubs were banned post Heysel).

And had been for about five months, all the way through the winter!

"One Team in Europe!"

I remember thinking that the club were ripping us off because they put the prices up to ?10 a ticket!!!

Remember thinking exactly the same :(

austere times too, considering some previous posters travelled to the game in Skodas and Ladas :P

The People's Chimp

is there any footage available on the net? i keep trying to show it to mates but to no avail...

is there any footage available on the net? i keep trying to show it to mates but to no avail...

I cant find any on the net either. I taped many games and have copied them to digital but cant find this one.

I do have some footage of the away game, however.

Quality not great I am afraid.

I am not sure if I still have the programme for the home game but I do still have the programme for the away leg. Two Bayern players on the front cover in kilts playing the bagpipes.

My favourite Tynie night ever

Unforgettable atmosphere and one of the best goals I've ever seen a Hearts player score.

Big Slim could have made it 2 near the end IIRC.

We were unlucky to go out over in Munich as well.

John Colquhoun terrorised them for much of the game and I think we hit the woodwork a couple of times. Bayern were hanging on at the end.

If we had have gone through we would have faced Maradona's Napoli in the semi.

What a night that would have been.

My favourite game too.

This is great 80's nostalgia too...........

I enjoyed both games home and away. The trip to Munich was a drunken one.

22 year old and i knew best. We should have went through

Myself and lostinleith spent the afternoon playing snooker down at Jock's Lodge then went back to his flat to wait for a taxi, downed half a bottle of Smirnoff Blue Label. Needless to say absolutely wrecked at the game, but what a night. I mean BAYERN MUNICH FFS. Now that is BIG TIME.

Archived