Letting Agent

Eckauskas

Alright KB'ers, I'm wondering if you can help me solve a little problem.

I'm looking for a new flat before the start of the academic year, but really don't fancy paying large agency fees. I'd rather not be lining the pockets of an estate agent, when it could be better used on alcohol for a flat warming.

Does anyone know of somewhere I can find a flat without having to pay these ridiculous fees?

I've already been looking on Edinburgh Gumtree, but theres not a great selection of 4 bedroomed flats.

I'm looking for a new flat before the start of the academic year, but really don't fancy paying large agency fees. I'd rather not be lining the pockets of an estate agent, when it could be better used on alcohol for a flat warming.

Does anyone know of somewhere I can find a flat without having to pay these ridiculous fees?

I've already been looking on Edinburgh Gumtree, but theres not a great selection of 4 bedroomed flats.

http://www.edinburghstudentpad.co.uk/

You've left it rather late for 3/4/5 bedroomed flats my love, most of them go May-August kind of time when folks' leases are running out. My advice - DON'T go with Alba Residential or Mclean Forth Properties

coppercrutch

Negotiate the rent. Easy done. Nothing to lose. Paying 6 months up front does wonders if you can manage it. Maybe get 15-20% off. My mum did !!

:)

Negotiate the rent. Easy done. Nothing to lose. Paying 6 months up front does wonders if you can manage it. Maybe get 15-20% off. My mum did !!

I reckon they should get a mortgage and buy

Robbos Right Peg

Fekin students that dont want to pay fek all apart for cheap cider get tae fek. Landlords nightmare :mad:

Now if Louise was still looking for a place after dumping that no mark boyfriend (shes tidy, she has a shoe rack thingy after all)..................................

Fekin students that dont want to pay fek all apart for cheap cider get tae fek. Landlords nightmare :mad:

Im sure Mr Asif will happily charge them ?20 for each pint glass they break:p

Please don't start ANOTHER feckin student-hating thread. I am a full-time student at Napier but have been slogging my guts out at the gas board for more than 2 years at the same time, I pay rent, bills, and run my own car without student loan or anything so GIUY!

Also I often pay tax and always NI because I have to earn more than the tax-free threshold to pay for all this, so I feel the following is justified...

20979832a8692874462l.jpg

:D

Erm, no. I'm moving into my flat next week; it's costing me a whopping ?700 just to get the keys and my rent's only ?250 of that price. I get around ?500 of income a month.

Two sides to every story, pal.

You've left it rather late for 3/4/5 bedroomed flats my love, most of them go May-August kind of time when folks' leases are running out. My advice - DON'T go with Alba Residential or Mclean Forth Properties

There are a few available by the looks of things, as I say, just don't want to pay the ridiculous price they ask for simply applying for the place.

The agents my mate was dealing with were asking for ?75 per person.

Now if Louise was still looking for a place after dumping that no mark boyfriend (shes tidy, she has a shoe rack thingy after all)..................................

I don't like cider :sad:

There are a few available by the looks of things, as I say, just don't want to pay the ridiculous price they ask for simply applying for the place.

The agents my mate was dealing with were asking for ?75 per person.

I don't like cider :sad:

?125 for me!!

For Stirling?

You got ****ing ripped off mate.

That was for the ****ing admin costs alone.

Month's rent up front (fair enough).

?350 deposit.

We have a 2 double 1 single bedroom flat, doesn't even have a separate living room. ?317 a month each.

Deposit was a month's rent, also got charged a ?150 holding fee between us (which we thought would be subtracted from the deposit but apparently not, however that's an ongoing saga..) and an ?80 non-returnable referencing fee for each of us.

Robbos Right Peg
Please don't start ANOTHER feckin student-hating thread. I am a full-time student at Napier but have been slogging my guts out at the gas board for more than 2 years at the same time, I pay rent, bills, and run my own car without student loan or anything so GIUY!

Also I often pay tax and always NI because I have to earn more than the tax-free threshold to pay for all this, so I feel the following is justified...

20979832a8692874462l.jpg

Hey Louise nobody sloggs their guts out at the Gas Board try getting anyone to answer a phone. You are too busy being told to try to get punters to buy extra products. :P I admire how you have been there for 2 years though.

Doesn't everyone that works pay tax & NI ? I know I did when the government took 40% of my income. Now I dont work and I get the sum total of hee haw for my NI contributions.

BTW didnt think they sold White Star in Sample Room

coppercrutch

20979832a8692874462l.jpg

If you have any more pics of you and your mates sucking things feel free to post them.

Thanks.

Stay away from Grant Management, I've heard some horror stories about them and seen some other horror stories first hand.

In second year I went through the Scotsman lettings bit quite late on in August and managed to get a brilliant place in Tollcross overlooking the Meadows. I had my own personal spire to rule from :D

Other than that if you're a student, why not ask about your friends and see if anyone they know has a spare room going?

Well the thing is, there'd be 4 of us going in on a flat. I don't really know anyone else who has a spare room available if it was needed.

I stupidly offered to do all the leg work with this :sad:

RRP - full-time students are normally exempt from tax as I'm sure you're aware, however if you work too many hours, you will have to pay.

Also the gas board lays pipes, they don't sell you anything and they don't send you bills. If your gas meter is leaking you call our emergency line and we fix it for free within the hour (in theory). SO THERE!

Robbos Right Peg

Not being funny (for once) but have you seen the ads at the bottom of this thread ? Or is that too much to ask a student to do ? (back to being funny/sarcastic again)

Also....

Dependent on what uni you're with they may have flats to let? I stayed in an Edinburgh Uni one on Buccleuch Place and it was pretty nice.

Robbos Right Peg
RRP - full-time students are normally exempt from tax as I'm sure you're aware, however if you work too many hours, you will have to pay.

Also the gas board lays pipes, they don't sell you anything and they don't send you bills. If your gas meter is leaking you call our emergency line and we fix it for free within the hour (in theory). SO THERE!

Hmmmm............ as you well know there is no such establishment as the Gas Board a common misnomer for a good few years now. Centrica are the parent company and now in Scotland we have Scottish Gas that supply gas from the meter to the householder and are the company I (mistakenly) thought you worked for. The company that lay or renew the pipe work is another arm of what was a business that was split to allow competition in the energy markets by the labour government. It was supposed to mean there would be cheaper energy prices to us poor sods............ so that worked out well then. SO THERE :P

As for non contributions to tax and NI............. another bleedin benefit that students get. I personally think we should go the whole hog and make White Star free to them as well. :rolleyes:

Considering most folk in my office have been there well over 25 years it is almost invariably still referred to as the gas board, because if we call it Scotland Gas Networks no one knows what we're on about. Apparently we're owned by a group of Canadian teachers but that's a whole other story.

Another benefit? Tax discounts are the ONLY benefit we get, and considering most of us have difficulty working more than 15-20 hours a week and we are paying through the nose for rent it's completely necessary.

NewYorkJambo

It's the landlord that pays the percentage to the agent, not the tenant. So just pick anyone.

It's the landlord that pays the percentage to the agent, not the tenant. So just pick anyone.

lol. love the simplicity. :)

They were asking us for the money though :confused:

Think Marky1874 was referring to the monthly fee the tenant pays the agent to act on their behalf, and Eck you're on about the upfront fees, right?

Robbos Right Peg
Considering most folk in my office have been there well over 25 years it is almost invariably still referred to as the gas board, because if we call it Scotland Gas Networks no one knows what we're on about. Apparently we're owned by a group of Canadian teachers but that's a whole other story.

Another benefit? Tax discounts are the ONLY benefit we get, and considering most of us have difficulty working more than 15-20 hours a week and we are paying through the nose for rent it's completely necessary.

My advice to you is get out when you can You have only been there for 2 years and now you are talking (not invariably by the way more like inevitable) like someone who is coming up for their gold watch award.

Nothing surer than you will soon be offered a job as a 'supervisor/team leader' role and the extra money will tempt you to give up your studies. Then you will be shopping in Marks & Sparks drinking 'pressed cider' instead of White Star then meet and marry some oik in a suit that has an OU degree in Social Science but is just another voice on the end of a phone and is only upset if someone in his team comes in 2 minutes late after being out drinking 4 litres of White Star the night before.

But hey what do I know. :o

coppercrutch
They were asking us for the money though :confused:

Tell them to **** off and you'll go elsewhere ?

Not exactly a lack of flats to rent just now. Remember you are paying the money - you are in charge !! No idea why so many people just do what letting agents and landlords want. Many are probably a lot more desperate for you to move in than they admit...

Rape the ***** up the arse. ;)

Students are ****. I used to be one so I am allowed to say that.

Aye, but I bet you lived with yer maw back then ya big gayer :P

My advice to you is get out when You can you have only been there for 2 years and now you are talking like someone who is coming up for their gold watch award.

Nothing surer than you will soon be offered a job as a 'supervisor/team leader' role and the extra money will tempt you to give up your studies. Then you will be shopping in Marks & Sparks drinking 'pressed cider' instead of White Star then meet and marry some oik in a suit that has an OU degree in Social Science but is just another voice on the end of a phone and is only upset if someone in his team comes in 2 minutes late after being out drinking 4 litres of White Star the night before.

But hey what do I know. :o

Not likely, I've been a temp since I started there with no permanent contract in sight. No one takes any notice of me and I just listen to my ipod an process technical drawings all day, it suits me while I'm studying.

However, my dad has been there for 38 YEARS!!!:eek:

coppercrutch
Not likely, I've been a temp since I started there with no permanent contract in sight. No one takes any notice of me and I just listen to my ipod an process technical drawings all day, it suits me while I'm studying.

Try opening your coat...:rolleyes:

Well, if u decide to bump 2 of ur mates and look for a 2 bedroom flat jus off gorgie road, with about a 3 minute walk to Tynie, for ?550 a month then drop me a PM!!

;)

Think Marky1874 was referring to the monthly fee the tenant pays the agent to act on their behalf, and Eck you're on about the upfront fees, right?

Yeah, thats my gripe.

I don't mind paying through the nose once I have the flat, just not to get the flat.

Robbos Right Peg

Your dad obviously loves you too much to sort you out a contract.

38 years at the 'Gas Board' and a daughter that drinks White Star I take my hat off to the man :)

Archived