Broadband packages

Dandyman

finally got rid of my tag from Tiscali after 5 months of battling them , but dont know who to go with now. The company has to be availible in either North Berwick or Gullane, was just wondering who had what and what the thought of them? looking for wireless as i am going to invest in a laptop asap :)

BoJack Horseman

Is Tiscali that bad? What kind of problems did you have with them? Moving into a new flat soon and will be looking for a broadband provider. Tiscali seems to be really cheap. Next cheapest was orange, have a look at them.

If you're looking for both internet and a laptop a lot of places are giving away a free laptop with the broadband. More often than not though the monthly charge will be inflated to cover the costs of it.

I was with Tiscali and I wouldn't use them if they are the last provider on earth.

With o2 now and been very impressed with them from the word go.

10 meg for ?10 pm as I'm an o2 mobile customer

Is Tiscali that bad? What kind of problems did you have with them? Moving into a new flat soon and will be looking for a broadband provider. Tiscali seems to be really cheap. Next cheapest was orange, have a look at them.

If you're looking for both internet and a laptop a lot of places are giving away a free laptop with the broadband. More often than not though the monthly charge will be inflated to cover the costs of it.

yep tiscali are a nightmare to get away from had to go to ofcom as they wouldn't remove there tag from my line, thought about orange as they have the livebox, dont really fancy the laptop broadband packages as they cost a fortune and aren't usually unlimited

Noooooooooooooooooooooo

Consistantly rated as one of the worst broadband providers going!

Try http://www.uswitch.com/broadband , you can put in your postcode, usage and wireless etc and will give you a comparison of what is availiable in your area ;)

Don't get BT.

Get o2 i don't have it but i'm getting it, BT customer service is terrible they put people of a different nationality on there calls and u can't understand a word and vice versa and for that reason we're leaving BT and switching to o2 or sky.

BoJack Horseman

I'm not in ab o2 are =(

Uswitch tells me I can only get Orange, Sky or BT!

Cyprus Jambo
Never had a single spot of bother with BT tbh!

Don't you find them expensive HP?

Think we will be looking for a change come December (contract ends).

jack D and coke

TALK TALK will be available and if you want to go wireless just buy a wireless router. Think BT have a good package just now though with that home hub thing. Includes a tv deal with that play on demand. Setanta is free i think also.

Doesnt look like 02 are in my area :(. I want to try and find a cheaper internet provider and have been with Eclipse for 2 years. What puts me off trying to find one is that I have never managed to have any smooth change over and always end up having no internet access for about a month. At the mo with my work this would be a real nightmare, so any suggestions most welcome here.

I have a wireless router already so does that makes things easier or more difficult to change over?

Suffolk Jambo
I'm not in ab o2 are =(

Uswitch tells me I can only get Orange, Sky or BT!

If you are in Trinity, you are served by the Granton exchange.

There are various types of broadband on offer, you just have to understand the terminology.

There is basic ADSL (Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line) and LLU (Local Loop Unbundling). LLU is where the ISP puts their equipment in the BT exchange and then uses the local loop of BT copper to connect to your home. Sam Knows advises that O2/BE, C&W/Bulldog, Sky/Easynet and Talk Talk all have their equipment installed for LLU offerings.

In addition to these LLU packages, you can still choose from many other providers who use BT's standard ADSL hardware. You can find more details of available ISP's, prices etc from Think Broadband.

It really depends on what and how much you are downloading, how fast you want to go an ultimately how much you want to pay. Also worth checking the T's & C's if you are planning on connecting to your work's network via VPN as many ISP's have stopped access to this.

Remember, most of the cheap broadband packages are cheap for a reason. They need lots of users to sign up to maintain profitability and they squeeze as many users as possible onto a connection so speed becomes a real problem during peak hours (5pm to 10pm). I pay ?20 per month for adsl24.co.uk (an Entanet reseller) for an upto 8Mb connection that has a 30Gb peak cap and 300Gb offpeak cap. Absolutely no packet shaping or slow downs at any time of day.

Suffolk Jambo
finally got rid of my tag from Tiscali after 5 months of battling them , but dont know who to go with now. The company has to be availible in either North Berwick or Gullane, was just wondering who had what and what the thought of them? looking for wireless as i am going to invest in a laptop asap :)

Neither North Berwick nor Gullane have any LLU's set up so you are going to be stuck with standard ADSL or ADSL Max (up to 8Mb). Take a look at Think Broadband for providers.

Don't you find them expensive HP?

Think we will be looking for a change come December (contract ends).

Guess you kinda get what you pay for, as I say no bother or downtime in over 2years, so don't want to change for the sake of a few quid, also house phone which costs next to nothing on some low usage scheme is with BT!

Archived