West End food?

chewbacca

I`m looking for advice on a good place for a pub lunch around the west end of town?

got a day off and thought i`d take my mum and dad out for a bite to eat and a pint, meeting at the west end. Does anyone have any tips for somewhere to go, decent food is more important than cost (within reason obviously).

The only place i`ve frequented around there recently was the Grovsner and the food wasn`t up to much, was thinkin mibbe the new Rutland or that place that`s in the old post office next to Frasers on hope street lane?

cheers.

Whighams. Ideal for lunch.

agree'd....

Little gem of a chinese at the haymarket end of William Street if you want to keep it cheep but half decent food.

Whighams. Ideal for lunch.

Stole my thunder. My mate's twin brother is the new licensee and is a good lad.

Stole my thunder. My mate's twin brother is the new licensee and is a good lad.

It must be even better for you now you can see what you're eating....;)

It must be even better for you now you can see what you're eating....;)

True. We have our annual TV Advertising Xmas lunch in there every year. A fine wine list and traditional fare. Can't beat it. Once of the best bar/restaurants in town in my opinion.

The Khukuri in West Maitland Street does the finest curries in town if that tickles your fancy :thumb:

The Khukuri in West Maitland Street does the finest curries in town if that tickles your fancy :thumb:

That's a great place.

Whighams sounds like the KB`ers place of choice!

that`s the place downstairs on the corner of charlotte sq? will give it a look whilst waiting for the olds to appear, need to decide if there`s food on the menu I`LL want to eat before goin in.....i will be paying for it after all :)

not a curry fan at all i`m afraid, bit of a lightweight when it comes to anything spicy, pickled onion monster munch can give me heartburn!

that`s the place downstairs on the corner of charlotte sq?

Correct. I'd be surprised if you were disappointed in it.

You could also try the Guards Club opposite the Haymarket Bar they do quite good meals in there at a reasonable price[ normally a choice of about 5-6 different meals]

thanks for all the tips, off out jus now to the pictures to see hellboy, then mibbe for some supper afterwards, will report back on both/all tomorrow sometimes.

Cheers

agree'd....

Little gem of a chinese at the haymarket end of William Street if you want to keep it cheep but half decent food.

Agreed, however I and a few others were in there on the Monday after the 2006 cup final. Won't be welcomed back in a hurry. Therapists language was awful.:closedeyes:

Agreed, however I and a few others were in there on the Monday after the 2006 cup final. Won't be welcomed back in a hurry. Therapists language was awful.:closedeyes:

If I remember correctly I paid for all the food and you didn't even have the common decency to keep it down. :o;)

If I remember correctly I paid for all the food and you didn't even have the common decency to keep it down. :o;)

You paid for the meal by way of the money you had to apply to the swear kitty.

You paid for the meal by way of the money you had to apply to the swear kitty.

Good one. :P It's all flooding back now.

and a massive menu. You're bound to find something that takes your fancy.

Robbos Right Peg

Sgyn (spelling) opposite Harrys Bar is pretty good for food and not so full of the tossers in suits that frequent Whighams these days

Ended up in the living room (think that was what it was called) on george st, just next to the Candy Bar.

Maw `n Paw had been there before and expressed a preference, which turned out to be a good shout. I had mussels in a cream white wine soup, followed by a lovely lump of fillet steak. the senior Chewbaccas had steak pie, which looked very tasty and a risotto thing which looked awful but, apparently, was very tasty.

?77 with atip and a pleasant dining experience, all the more pleasant as my dad insisting on paying....i must invite them out for dinner more often!

time before that their cullen skink was mince

You should have ordered the traditional version made with smoked haddock.

Just back from an impressive lunch at the glass house out @ eskmills... impressive for being in the erse hole of no where. Think they'll struggle tho due to their being a distinct lack of passing trade... oh and one of the waitress's was half decent.

Say What Again
Just back from an impressive lunch at the glass house out @ eskmills... impressive for being in the erse hole of no where. Think they'll struggle tho due to their being a distinct lack of passing trade... oh and one of the waitress's was half decent.

I was there for the missus' Mums 60th a few months back. The food (soup followed by sea bream in a mussel broth) was the best I've eaten out in a long time.

I think it will survive on it's reputation alone mate. Staying in that general area, I'd heard many rave reviews about before I sampled in myself.

The night we were there the place was heaving.

Say What Again
Anyone tried the Petit Paris on Queensferry st? I've been 5 or 6 times and always found the food and service to be excellent, especially the snails (they were on the menu rather than serving us).

I've been there once (last year) and would agree that the food and service was pretty good - though the table we had was a bit cramped.

Fogs legs and Tuscan Sausage :)

Archived