Trading your car in to a garage

Jambo83

After a bit of advice...

I have always sold my cars privately before buying my next one, but I have put my current car up for sale twice now and i've not had any interest. I have never faced this problem before and always sold my car to the first or second person who has called.

I have a 52 plate Mondeo TDCI Zetec 130, 5 door hatchback with 87k on the clock. The average price on autotrader seems to be about the ?3,500 - ?3,750 mark. I have lowered the price to ?3,495 and still didn't get one phonecall.

How much do garages offer for cars like this as a trade-in? ?3,000? ?2,500? I know it is usually less then the market value. Anyone know of certain garages that offer good trade-in deals or if there are any I should avoid?

Cheers

After a bit of advice...

I have always sold my cars privately before buying my next one, but I have put my current car up for sale twice now and i've not had any interest. I have never faced this problem before and always sold my car to the first or second person who has called.

I have a 52 plate Mondeo TDCI Zetec 130, 5 door hatchback with 87k on the clock. The average price on autotrader seems to be about the ?3,500 - ?3,750 mark. I have lowered the price to ?3,495 and still didn't get one phonecall.

How much do garages offer for cars like this as a trade-in? ?3,000? ?2,500? I know it is usually less then the market value. Anyone know of certain garages that offer good trade-in deals or if there are any I should avoid?

Cheers

Happened to me earlier this year when I had to get rid of my car.

Garages will screw you. They can only sell a car for slightly more than the Autotrader figures (or at least that's what they will tell you). From the Autotrader value they'll deduct their valet costs, service/MOT costs, showroom costs, sales costs. I found it was usually at least a grand.

If you're needing to sell quickly, check out http://www.webuyanycar.com They offered the best price for me when I looked to sell my car to the trade. In Scotland they are based just outside Glasgow.

Ultimately, if you have time, the best thing you could do would be to drop your price again on Autotrader by a few hundred quid.

Happened to me earlier this year when I had to get rid of my car.

Garages will screw you. They can only sell a car for slightly more than the Autotrader figures (or at least that's what they will tell you). From the Autotrader value they'll deduct their valet costs, service/MOT costs, showroom costs, sales costs. I found it was usually at least a grand.

If you're needing to sell quickly, check out http://www.webuyanycar.com They offered the best price for me when I looked to sell my car to the trade. In Scotland they are based just outside Glasgow.

Ultimately, if you have time, the best thing you could do would be to drop your price again on Autotrader by a few hundred quid.

My valuation is ?2,025!! Aye, that'll be right!! You must have been pretty desperate to get rid of your motor to take their valuation?

My loan balance for the car is ?3,800 so I need to get something in the region of ?3,300+ to consider selling it.

Might take it into a few big garages and seem what they can offer.

My valuation is ?2,025!! Aye, that'll be right!! You must have been pretty desperate to get rid of your motor to take their valuation?

My loan balance for the car is ?3,800 so I need to get something in the region of ?3,300+ to consider selling it.

Ouch!

They offered me ?3,350 for my 53 plate Fiesta Zetec when I had to sell it when the DVLA revoked my licence on medical grounds. Autotrader valued it at ?4,100. So I took the hit.

Good luck J83.

heartsfc_fan

Garages are thieves mate, all the same

Miller Jambo 60
Garages are thieves mate, all the same

Took my Hyundai accent up to the ford garage on calder road about 3years ago.

40000 on the clock ,great brakes ,bodywork ave.

The muppet said 450.

My reply you must be a hobo.

As my scarf was on the back seat.

heartsfc_fan

The muppet said 450.

It's a joke. They hate "older cars". Im driving about in a wee mint MK4 fiesta at the moment as I'm a poor student :rolleyes: it's worth about ?900 privately easily. I went along to the Vauxhall garage to see about a new Corsa a few weeks ago and the salesman said he wouldn't take my car! :eek: There's nothing wrong with it. Later to go and speak to the manager and he offered me ?400....Nah you're alright mate. I'm keeping my car for a bit then sell it for ?900 Privately.

I contacted those 'we buy any car' numpties last month. Said they would give me ?2000.00 for mine and I would no way get a better offer...... ever! I sold my car a few weeks ago for ?3000.00 and reckon if I pushed could have got another few hundred.

I work in the motor trade at a pretty large garage outside Edinburgh. The bottom line is the garage has to make money on the car you trade in. We probably try to pull around ?1000-?1500 profit on each used vehicle. Therefore if it's worth ?3500 retail, a dealership would have to have it standing them around ?2000-?2500. It's just the way the motor trade works I'm afraid, every single dealer does it.

It's swings and roundabouts. If a dealership ever offers you what you think your car is worth, or even pleasantly surprises you by offering more, I guarantee that is only because they have enough profit in the car they are selling you to move the money around and write back your trade-in in their books to an amount they can make profit on.

I PX-ed my car recently. I have to say I got a decent deal when I factored in the "economic value" of not having the hassle of selling privately.

After a bit of advice...

Cheers

Take it in and be prepared to haggle mate and do NOT accept the first, second or third offer. They will take the **** to start with and if you are going to buy a car off them they will eventually bend over backwards. You have to accept that you will not get private sale market value but it takes away any hassles like you are having at the moment.

Marmeladent?rtchen

I had the same problem as I had to sell my car quick.

My mate told me to eBay it and it landed up working out a treat.

Before I sold it I went to one of these places that would 'buy any car' and used their low estimate as my reserve price.

It was the frist thing I had ever eBay'ed. I got the guy to pay cash on collection. No problem.

Try it!!

Sold mine a few years back on adtrader.co.uk , it might be worth a bash. doesn't cost you anything to advertise, it costs the buyers who have to phone premium rate numbers.

My father in law has a Subaru absolutely mint condition and the guide book price for it is ?4,500.Went to tade it in for a ?15,000 pick up truck thing and the garage quoted him ?1000.

I work in the motor trade at a pretty large garage outside Edinburgh. The bottom line is the garage has to make money on the car you trade in. We probably try to pull around ?1000-?1500 profit on each used vehicle. Therefore if it's worth ?3500 retail, a dealership would have to have it standing them around ?2000-?2500. It's just the way the motor trade works I'm afraid, every single dealer does it.

It's swings and roundabouts. If a dealership ever offers you what you think your car is worth, or even pleasantly surprises you by offering more, I guarantee that is only because they have enough profit in the car they are selling you to move the money around and write back your trade-in in their books to an amount they can make profit on.

Spot in, I've just left the car trade and this is exctly how all of our garages operated.

If you only want to trade your car in then it's not worth while as the garage will make next to no money on the car. They will most likely offer you less than the market value.

Sold mine a few years back on adtrader.co.uk , it might be worth a bash. doesn't cost you anything to advertise, it costs the buyers who have to phone premium rate numbers.

They charge you now, i've tried them aswell. Cheaper than autotrader but I don't think they have as many readers / viewers

jambos are go!

Redpath and McLean @ Longstone offered me ?900 to buy an 8 year Scenic against ?500 offered as against trade in by Evans Halshaw(hate them). Thought it was worth ?1400 but took it to avoid hassle.

oh ah grantona

what you have to remember most car dealers main ones will not give you anywhere near what you want for your car, why its worthless to them most of the trade ins we get straight to auction with us never looking at, most garages would be happy with a small profit. IF YOU GET A GOOD TRADE IN VALUE ON YOUR CAR THEY ARE STITCHING YOU UP IN ANOTHER WAY FOR THEM TO TAKE THE HIT!!!!!!!

oh ah grantona

The muppet said 450.

to be honest mate not a great name cheap to buy and huge depressiation on them

to be honest mate not a great name cheap to buy and huge depressiation on them

Good point. I was p/x-ing a Honda S2000. Easier to get a good deal if you're trading something unusual/desirable with low depreciation.

oh ah grantona
Good point. I was p/x-ing a Honda S2000. Easier to get a good deal if you're trading something unusual/desirable with low depreciation.

hondas hold ther value look at the old civics plus the s2000 has its fans if you have a honda you have a fairly solid car

hondas hold ther value look at the old civics plus the s2000 has its fans if you have a honda you have a fairly solid car

5 year old. One owner. FHSH. 22,000 miles. Someone will pick up a bargain.

Redpath and McLean @ Longstone offered me ?900 to buy an 8 year Scenic against ?500 offered as against trade in by Evans Halshaw(hate them). Thought it was worth ?1400 but took it to avoid hassle.

Evans Halshaw are a shower of charlatans. I worked for them up until 5 months ago.

Archived