2012 Olympics

jambo121

Is there anyone else like me cringing at how badly London will represent Britain in 2012. The short snippet we got from them in the closing ceremony was at best amateur.

We should give it to a nation who is serious about the Olympics and is prepared to make a go of it in the same way Beijing has.

PS What the **** was Boris Johnson about, wandering about like stig of the dump in a suit, hands in his pockets acting like a total *****.

Read this T.V. review and thought it was quite funny.

"It's all over,bar the presumably insanely over-the-top mega-finale.Judging by the opening ceremony,this will probably feature something like an army of 700-foot tall dragons made of fire,ballet dancing with swords in the sky,while a million children dressed as silver butterflies take off from the centre of the Bird's Nest stadium and fly around the world handing out candy to each and every human being alive.Meanwhile,Seb Coe and the rest of the London 2012 crew will stand in the corner nervously waving a damp sparkler."

I think it will be typically British and unique.

Why do we want to be the same as the rest of the world? There is not a country in the world like Great Britain, we are a mongrel nation united against the world. The sex pistols were almost right when they sang about Anarchy in the UK.

A double decker bus with Jimmy Page and Leona Lewis performing "whole lotta love".

loved it. :)

Mac_fae_Gillie

China is going to be impossible to repeat.

Doesn't mean London wont put on a good show though.

I wonder what happened to the 2000people evicted and whos properties where destroyed to make room for the Birdsnest.

China gets success at any cost,something we can be proud to say we wont stand for.

As for boris,4years is a long time doubt he'll be mayor,bit worried he'll be PM though.

Would much prefer London didnt have Olympics too,cost too much and in truth denies people the chance to go somewhere.

Was considering China but at $500 a night for a hotel for 3 of us not counting

flights and general rip-off pricing wasout of my budget.

There is not a country in the world like Great Britain

Exactly. Every other nation admires our history, culture and vibrancy. Personally, I though the Lewis/Page combination was genius and bodes well that we'll end up with an opening ceremony that's completely different.

Ryan Gosling

Provided the quality of the games and ceremony themselves are nothing like this BBC programme it should be alright.

southlondonjambo

all that British bullsh~t made me want to :boak:

Broadcasting live from Englan'ds capital, but not one English flag - or indeed any symbol of England - to be seen. But then i'd expect nothing less from virulently anti-English and authoritarian McBBC.

Was half expecting Mugabe McBroon to pop up doing a Highland Fling in a Union Jack kilt.

all that British bullsh~t made me want to :boak:

Broadcasting live from Englan'ds capital, but not one English flag - or indeed any symbol of England - to be seen. But then i'd expect nothing less from virulently anti-English and authoritarian McBBC.

Was half expecting Mugabe McBroon to pop up doing a Highland Fling in a Union Jack kilt.

yeah free concert for 40,000 subsidised by us poor tax dodging northeners

Is there anyone else like me cringing at how badly London will represent Britain in 2012. The short snippet we got from them in the closing ceremony was at best amateur.

We should give it to a nation who is serious about the Olympics and is prepared to make a go of it in the same way Beijing has.

PS What the **** was Boris Johnson about, wandering about like stig of the dump in a suit, hands in his pockets acting like a total *****.

I'm tired and weary of the "legacy is more important" platitude which Lord Coe trots out whenever anyone mentions the task of hosting 2012. Lords, Wimbledon, and a clutch of football stadia have already been booked, so there will be less need for investment in new infrastructure projects. Why then skimp on the opening and closing ceremonies? They are, after all, an integral part of the games and afford abiding memories. I say damn the legacy, spend the inheritance, and let the world truly marvel at what it is to be British. Give them Becks in a bus, give them multi-cultural dance ensembles, and give them Bernie Clifton.

I've just seen Boris Johnson's speech at the British handover party in Beijing. Absolutely brilliant. :)

"Ping pong's coming home". Genius.

yeah free concert for 40,000 subsidised by us poor tax dodging northeners

They had a beamback to Glasgow. I just hope their giant screen didn't break down or it could have got ugly. :eek:

portobellojambo1

Think you'll find the difference between China and almost every other nation on Earth is that China had to make a huge spectacle out of this, they weren't just putting together the opening and closing ceremonies, they were putting together a spectacle aimed at promoting their political way.

It was a huge advertisement to try and make the Chinese government acceptable to the World, hence the need to exclude people from the opening ceremony, pre record large parts of it (create perfection) (but promote it as "live" until such time as people found out otherwise), sell tickets to selected people, exclude your average Chinese person from entering the Olympic Park, destroy housing and businesses in the surrounding area of the main stadiums, put farmers out of business by diverting water supplies from many surrounding farming areas etc. etc. In truth, thanks to the many news agencies available around the World and their investigative journalists, I think they were caught out.

London doesn't have to do that, London doesn't have to sell itself in the same way, they don't have to sell democracy as China tried to sell Communism.

The content of the opening and closing ceremonies doesn't really interest me much, The Olympic Games are meant to be about the competitors, and if London can provide the sort of facilities in which they are housed comfortably and can compete well that will suffice.

What I hope they do is market ticket prices reasonably, if the chance comes I would like to go down and take something in.

Robbos Right Peg
I've just seen Boris Johnson's speech at the British handover party in Beijing. Absolutely brilliant. :)

"Ping pong's coming home". Genius.

PRICELESS :P Just as long as they dont do the switcheroonee and call it table tennis at the last minute as thats far more attractive

Jimmy Page...why did you do it?

To be up with an x-factor winner who wouldn't know Led Zep if she fell over them.

It was bloody woeful. No soul, no heart, no feeling.

Trite.

If this is what our tax money is getting spent on, 2012 is a waste of money in the making.

On top of that, being involved in an event glorifying one of the worst governments/regimes in the world also makes me angry.

Jeez I feel like burning my Zep collection.

Archived