Only fools and horses

H.A.N.S

Uktv gold +1. I am in stitches. Rodney has to pretend he's 14 after Del enters a picture of his into an under 15s competition. They win a holiday to Spain.

Class.

Early ones are genius- but as the family get older and time passes from Grandad and the early Uncle Albert, they get less funnier.

Should have left it when the got the money - it was dying on its arse by that point.

The ones after when they brought it back were awful.

Grandad trying to get The Dukes of Hazard on the Microwave was genius. Brilliant episode that one.

OFAH, Porridge and Open All Hours are the most over rated comedies ever. Even "My Family" is funnier. :eek:

coppercrutch
OFAH, Porridge and Open All Hours are the most over rated comedies ever. Even "My Family" is funnier. :eek:

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

David Jason, Ronnie Barker.........

Are you kidding.......:confused:

Are you kidding.......:confused:

I'm being deadly serious. Those programmes are rated because people love the performers - Barker, Jason - not because of the quality of the writing.

Fact.

shaun.lawson

I agree - even about My Family! :eek: The first two mentioned in particular did my head in. For me, it's Blackadder, then a very big gap to shows like Monty Python and The Office. Peep Show is bloody funny as well. :)

Agree with Therapist;

Only Fools & Horses belongs in the long list of over-rated British institutions which sadly includes Porridge, Charlie Chaplin, Winston Churchill & Michael Caine.

:sad:

coppercrutch
I'm being deadly serious. Those programmes are rated because people love the performers - Barker, Jason - not because of the quality of the writing.

Fact.

I would totally agree with that. Barker is a one of the best comedy actors ever. FACT. ;)

However you must admit some of the comedy in OFAH & Porridge is brilliant ? Comedy Genius. :)

What do you think of Curb Your Enthusiasm, The Office (USA), Peep Show and Trailer Park Boys ?

I agree - even about My Family! :eek: The first two mentioned in particular did my head in. For me, it's Blackadder, then a very big gap to shows like Monty Python and The Office. Peep Show is bloody funny as well. :)

Monty Python was cutting edge and has to be rated accordingly. However, anyone who watched all the original programmes will know that for every one sketch that hit the mark, there were probably four that fell flat. Incidentally, my favourite sketches were the Spanish Inquisition and the North Minehead By Election, the latter sadly under rated.

Blackadder - apart from I - were simply writers and cators at the top of their game. Genius.

Office was the first of a new genre - the docu-comedy. I loved it, but have to say Extras was a grower and I now like it better.

What do you think of Curb Your Enthusiasm, The Office (USA), Peep Show and Trailer Park Boys ?

Never heard of them. Are they anything to do with the credit crunch?

coppercrutch

Have to agree with Blackadder - especially goes Forth. Genius. ****ing genius. Also quite moving at the end. If ever there was a perfect comedy this one must come close. If you disagree you are a gayer - FACT.

OFAH - brilliant. Office brilliant. Extras mediocre. That 70's show brilliant. Malcolm in the middle brilliant. How I met your mother almost brilliant.

coppercrutch
Never heard of them. Are they anything to do with the credit crunch?

If you have never heard of Curb or TPB you are SERIOUSLY MISSING OUT.

Genius comedy.

shaun.lawson
North Minehead By Election.

I defy you not to laugh. :)

Mental! The best friend I mentioned on the other thread? She's German, and adores our subversive sense of humour. She's convinced she'd never get away with anything similar back home.

Of course, if you loved that, then you'll surely like this too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k7U-_tJVmw

Or maybe this? (picture pops up after a few seconds):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yE6zn2JBayg&feature=related

Better call Saul
Early ones are genius- but as the family get older and time passes from Grandad and the early Uncle Albert, they get less funnier.

Should have left it when the got the money - it was dying on its arse by that point.

The ones after when they brought it back were awful.

Grandad trying to get The Dukes of Hazard on the Microwave was genius. Brilliant episode that one.

when the episodes were released the show was still pulling in 15 million plus so actually they were doing very well , they maybe did not bring out as many episodes as they did in the begining .but still did very well .

They should have stopped it when they won the millions and the makers of the show knew this but it was the public that cried out for more so the bbc wanted to deliver .

shaun.lawson
Have to agree with Blackadder - especially goes Forth. Genius. ****ing genius. Also quite moving at the end. If ever there was a perfect comedy this one must come close. If you disagree you are a gayer - FACT.

I think the first series I ever watched growing up was series two. Could never believe anything could top that - but if anything, the next two were each better than what had gone before. Not only was it breathtakingly funny, it was also political and even made a point of getting historical characters right (for example, there really was a Bishop of Bath and Wells: just not quite with the, um, peccadillos ascribed by Blackadder!). I honestly can't foresee any comedy ever being better than that one.

south morocco

does anyone know the words to the opening title song,and the closing title song,if so can you pm them to me thanks!

shaun.lawson
Monty Python was cutting edge and has to be rated accordingly. However, anyone who watched all the original programmes will know that for every one sketch that hit the mark, there were probably four that fell flat. Incidentally, my favourite sketches were the Spanish Inquisition and the North Minehead By Election, the latter sadly under rated.

Blackadder - apart from I - were simply writers and cators at the top of their game. Genius.

Office was the first of a new genre - the docu-comedy. I loved it, but have to say Extras was a grower and I now like it better.

Yeah, I can definitely see that about Python. Especially at the time it was released, a lot of it must've been completely baffling! My favourite sketches, by the way, were the lumberjack one and the alternative Olympics (the marathon for the incontinent, 100m freestyle for non-swimmers etc).

Mind you, I've actually barely watched any TV at all over the past year or two, so have completely missed Extras: I'll check it out online now you've mentioned it. Incidentally, while it was hardly in the same league as some of the shows we're discussing, I really liked Coupling too: it was very clever, I thought.

south morocco
does anyone know the words to the opening title song,and the closing title song,if so can you pm them to me thanks!

sorry i mean only fools and horses theme tune!

I agree with most things you have said on this thread so far. I also think OFAH etc are vastly overrated. Decent but not as good as people think.

I do disagree with The Office being the first. Operation Good Guys was before the Office by a few years and is rightly seen as one of the first docu-comedy/"mockumentary" shows. Gervais copied the idea and finely tuned it.

Pity you've not seen Curb. Your certainly missing out IMO. One of the few US comedies I like which is surprising as I didnt like Seinfeld of which Larry David was one of the main writers.

The Real Maroonblood

You are probably the funniest.

:)

The Real Maroonblood
I agree with most things you have said on this thread so far. I also think OFAH etc are vastly overrated. Decent but not as good as people think.

I do disagree with The Office being the first. Operation Good Guys was before the Office by a few years and is rightly seen as one of the first docu-comedy/"mockumentary" shows. Gervais copied the idea and finely tuned it.

Pity you've not seen Curb. Your certainly missing out IMO. One of the few US comedies I like which is surprising as I didnt like Seinfeld of which Larry David was one of the main writers.

So you know what people think. How very psychic of you.

;)

i really hated the office

being at home and basically turning the telly on and watching my work(without the decent f*nny) was/is not entertainment

Fact.

Aww well the cyber poofs have teamed up and told us all that OFAH& Open all hours just aint funny....thanks for alerting 1000's of us to that:confused:

BBC America has just started showing something called "Star Stories." One of the worst attempts at comedy it's ever been my privilege to watch.

In fact, quite possibly worse than one of Mrs Miggin's pies.

Archived