40 year gap..........

Charlie-Brown

Charlie-Brown

I was thinking the other day after reading the thread about Alex Young that apart from Young & Dave Mackay leaving Hearts in the very early 1960's to go play & thrive at the pinnacle of English football we didn't really produce any other players capable of playing regularly in Englands top league for 40+ years until Gary Naysmith went to Everton then latterly Craig Gordon to Sunderland....I suppose Craig Levein could well have gone on to better things if it wasn't for terrible injuries and maybe Frail too was on the verge of a big move but it struck me that 40 years is a long time.......

Davie Weir went to Everton a little before Naysmith didn't he?

Ritchie and Johnston also went to the Premier League, but didn't exactly set the heather on fire.

Charlie-Brown
Arthur Mann went for a record breaking fee for a full back in 1968.

Arthur Mann's career in England doesn't seem to have been a roaring success in terms of playing in the top flight?

Eamonn Bannon was also sold for a Hearts record fee to Chelsea but was back up the road before too long.....

Charlie-Brown
Davie Weir went to Everton a little before Naysmith didn't he?

Ritchie and Johnston also went to the Premier League, but didn't exactly set the heather on fire.

You are correct Rab, Davie Weir did beat Naysmith to the EPL by 2 or 3 years. Both Enjoyed good Premiership careers. :)

King of the North
I was thinking the other day after reading the thread about Alex Young that apart from Young & Dave Mackay leaving Hearts in the very early 1960's to go play & thrive at the pinnacle of English football we didn't really produce any other players capable of playing regularly in Englands top league for 40+ years until Gary Naysmith went to Everton then latterly Craig Gordon to Sunderland....I suppose Craig Levein could well have gone on to better things if it wasn't for terrible injuries and maybe Frail too was on the verge of a big move but it struck me that 40 years is a long time.......

ON Craig Levein... I seem to recall that Spurs were sniffing around with a reported ?1million offer before Criag got injured - a huge amount at the time.

I think it is impossible to overstate just how good Levein was, before his injury. Makes it all the more ridiculous to hear Strachan saying that McManus is 'the best since Hansen'. CL could and should have gone on to play at the back for Scotland for ten years or more.

Hearts Heritage

There have been very few over the years that have made a real impact n England

Ross Nick Preston North End 1883

Livingstone George Sunderland 1900

Bell Mark Southampton 1902

Thomson Charlie Sunderland 1908

Dawson Percy Blackburn Rovers 1914

Massie Alex Aston Villa 1935

McCulloch Dave Brentford 1935

Black Andy Manchester City 1946

Walker Tommy Chelsea 1947

Hearts Heritage

And another the sale of Alex Massie was arguably the worst in Hearts history. That team of the mid 1930s would surely have won the league had Massie remained at the club.

Broxburn Jambo
And another the sale of Alex Massie was arguably the worst in Hearts history. That team of the mid 1930s would surely have won the league had Massie remained at the club.

I blame Vlad

winston churchill
ON Craig Levein... I seem to recall that Spurs were sniffing around with a reported ?1million offer before Criag got injured - a huge amount at the time.

I think it is impossible to overstate just how good Levein was, before his injury. Makes it all the more ridiculous to hear Strachan saying that McManus is 'the best since Hansen'. CL could and should have gone on to play at the back for Scotland for ten years or more.

correct

rangers were also sniffing around but were told to nash.

as for CL (the player),pure class and my favourite ever hearts player.

he was that good,he could have played in sir tony of lochends pass and move world champions side from two years ago.

Archived