New Metallica song

Ivan Drago

I'm not overly impressed.... better than St Anger but i think its still too similar to the stuff off St Anger. I think its too long and a bit, well, meh. Nice to see the solos back though!

What does everyone else think?

I like it, although this recording doesn't quite capture the power of the guitar riffs.

I saw them perform it in Dublin on Wednesday (amazing gig btw, as always) and it sounded pretty meaty...slightly different from this version as I recall.

I look forward to the album coming out.

Generic Username

Absolutely anything (and I mean ANYTHING by ANYONE) is better than the complete crap that was served up on "St Anger".

Metallica have really done nothing of importance or interest since the black album and either need to realise what they are good at or just call it a day.

If you have a listen to "...and justice for all" then fire on "st anger" - it's an absolutely horrid comparison.

Absolutely anything (and I mean ANYTHING by ANYONE) is better than the complete crap that was served up on "St Anger".

Metallica have really done nothing of importance or interest since the black album and either need to realise what they are good at or just call it a day.

If you have a listen to "...and justice for all" then fire on "st anger" - it's an absolutely horrid comparison.

Fair point I would say. I think St Anger is decent at best, but up against the most significant Metallica material, it pales.

Metallica must be seen live to be appreciated. There are plenty bands with more consistent backgrounds to their music - Pantera have a better overallcollection of albums for example - but as a live act they are unsurpassed.

As I pointed out, Cyanide sounded better live than on a poor quality Youtube recording. 20 odd thousand people per show can't be wrong I guess.

Nothing wrong with Load in my opinion. "Until it Sleeps", "Bleeding Me" are awesome songs. I played the album the other day in the car and it's a great album - if any other band had recorded the disc it would have been heralded.

The new stuff sounds good so far. In all honesty, I've grown slightly disillusioned with Metallica and their ability to create good music. Releasing an album as downright awful as St. Anger will have that effect I suppose. While I enjoy Load, their post-Black album material has undoubtedly been sketchy. Their poor output, along with their change of direction (Lars claiming they should be called "Rocktallica" as they're hardly a metal band any more, the haircuts, Napster etc) have led many to turn their back on them.

In my opinion, this album is make or break time for the band. If this album is met with a similar reception to that of St. Anger, as a recording band, they will be all but finished. They will be consigned to being a live band, a greatest hits band, and while I'd still go and see them, their credibility will be eroded.

So far, the songs Cyanide and The Day That Never Comes sound promising, but I'm not getting carried away. All you have to do is watch Some King of Monster to see the dynamics and power-struggles that exist among the members (most notably Hetfield and Ulrich). If they can overcome these internal conflicts, the new album has a chance of being good.

I like it. The recent issue of Classic Rock states Metallica's management sent them a sample of songs from the new album and they give it the thumbs-up.

BTW - St Anger is a much-maligned album. Ditto Load although Lars freely admits that Re-load was unnecessary (no argument from me there) and says the likes of Fuel, Memory Remains and Carpe Diem should have made their way onto Load.

Generic Username
Gash. Sounds like the pesh served up on Load and ReLoad.

And they were both worse than St Anger.

Never a truer word spoken regarding Metallica.

Maybe they should slink off into oblivion for a few years and then do a craptastic comeback like Motley Crue and the likes.

Or just not bother coming back at all, either is fine by me.

not heard any of the new stuff yet but hopefully it is not as tinny a sound as st anger which is the worst album from there collection. i quite like re-load and load but they will struggle to eclipse the early stuff.

watched the reading gig on bbc digital interactive last night and they have still got it. there rendition of ride the lightning was awesome as was seek and destroy and my personal favourite sanitarium. will defo be trying to see them again in the coming year on tour. hopefully they will do some smaller gigs as wembley stadium was far to big to truly appreciate them

I must be about the only Metallica fan around taht actually likes Load and Reload.

And that's not "blind faith" just because of who they are. I had never even listened to Master of Puppets when I got Reload.

Also, Memory Remains was awesome live.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Just "acquired" the new album....

Fooook it's awesome....

Sweet Jebub you were right!

Class. The best since their eponymous album. This is how it should have been all along.

Bought the album on Thursday and it is the best record they have released since Master Of Puppets.

St. Anger was one of the worst records released in the history of music and thankfully this sounds nothing like it.

Its been made with a clear return to their roots and no regard for singles and airplay, although it should be huge.

Archived