Scientist Predicts Ice Age Within 10 Years

maroonlegions

maroonlegions

University of Mexico expert says lack of solar activity to cause significant cooling that will last over half a century:eek:

Paul Joseph Watson

Prison Planet

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

As evidence builds of the earth entering a dramatic cooling trend, another scientist has gone public with his conviction that we are about to enter a new ice age, rendering warnings about global warming fraudulent and irrelevant.

Victor Manuel Velasco Herrera of the Institute of Geophysics at the University of Mexico states that ?In about ten years the Earth will enter a ?little ice age? which will last from 60 to 80 years and may be caused by the decrease in solar activity,? according to a report in the major Mexican newspaper Milenio Diario.

Herrera slammed the UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change?s (IPCC) stance on global warming as ?erroneous? because of their failure to factor in the impact of solar activity.

(ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW)

The models and forecasts of the IPCC ?is incorrect because only are based on mathematical models and presented results at scenarios that do not include, for example, solar activity,? said Herrera.

Herrera states that the earth is entering a natural phase of climate transition during which solar activity will diminish considerably, ?so that in two years or so, there will be a small ice age that lasts from 60 to 80 years.?

Herrera cited the growth in glaciers observed at the Andes, Perito Moreno, Logan, the highest mountain in Canada, and Franz-Josef Glacier, New Zealand.

A dramatic cooling trend is being observed across the planet even as people like Al Gore continue to claim that the threat of global warming mandates the poor and middle class be hit with CO2 taxes in order to prevent climate change.

Both anecdotal evidence and hard data indicates that the planet is in the beginning stages of a significant downturn in global temperatures.

Following the end of the Sun?s most active period in over 11,000 years, the last 10 years have displayed a clear cooling trend as temperatures post-1998 leveled out and are now plummeting.

China recently experienced its coldest winter in 100 years while northeast America was hit by record snow levels and Britain suffered its coldest April in decades as late-blooming daffodils were pounded with hail and snow on an almost daily basis. The British summer has also left many yearning for global warming, with temperatures in June and July rarely struggling to get over 16 degrees and on one occasion even dropping as low as 9 degrees in the middle of the afternoon.

?Summer heat continues in short supply, continuing a trend that has dominated much of the 21st Century?s opening decade,? reports the Chicago Tribune. ?There have been only 162 days 90 degrees or warmer at Midway Airport over the period from 2000 to 2008. That?s by far the fewest 90-degree temperatures in the opening nine years of any decade on record here since 1930.?

The reason? Sunspot activity has dwindled. There have only been a handful of days in the past two months where any sunspot activity has been observed and over 400 spotless days have been recorded in the current solar cycle.

?The sun?s surface has been fairly blank for the last couple of years, and that has some worried that it may be entering another Maunder minimum, the sun?s 50-year abstinence from sunspots, which some scientists have linked to the Little Ice Age of the 17th century,? reports one science blog.

Since the sun, and not carbon dioxide, is the principle driver of climate change, a dearth of sunspot activity would herald a repeat of the Maunder Minimum, the name given to the period roughly from 1645 to 1715, when sunspots became exceedingly rare and contributed to the onset of the Little Ice Age during which Europe and North America were hit by bitterly cold winters and the Thames river in London completely froze.

Long-time man-made global warming advocates NASA assure us that significant sunspot activity will return in 2012, but a recent a paper on recent solar trends by William Livingston and Matthew Penn of the National Solar Observatory in Tucson, predicts that sunspots will all but vanish after 2015.

As we reported last week, the Armagh observatory, which has been measuring sun cycles for over 200 years. predicts that global temperatures will drop by two degrees over the next 20 years as solar activity grinds to a halt and the planet drastically cools down, potentially heralding the onset of a new ice age.

?Based on the past Armagh measurements, this suggests that over the next two decades, global temperatures may fall by about 2 degrees C ? that is, to a level lower than any we have seen in the last 100 years?.?Temperatures have already fallen by about 0.5 degrees C over the past 12 months and, if this is only the start of it, it would be a serious concern,?.

wonder what the price of woolly hats, gloves and thermals will be.:eek:

The People's Chimp

Are you on a mailing list at lizardsruletheworld.com? or just at home smoking a lee perry-esque quantity of medical grade marijuana?

Ha, I've long been a fan of the theory that "global warming" was more to do with nature than with me spraying on gallons of brut as a 14 year old and driving a big car.

The planet has heated and cooled throughout history at various stages. Politicians will denounce this theory cos if they didn't where would all their policies go? They'd have to admit their green policies weren't about saving the planet but more like they're in it to shaft each and every one of us for us much green as they can get their grubby paws on.

Hmmm bit strange that we are going into an ice age when technically we are already in an ice age due to the greenland and arctic ice sheets ! The current ice age has already lasted about 2.58 million years !!

maroonlegions
Are you on a mailing list at lizardsruletheworld.com?:bigyawn: or just at home smoking a lee perry-esque quantity of medical grade marijuana?
:dribble:

na just interested iam afraid but do not let that get in the way of your intelligent and very thoughtful contribution to this topic but try asking that to the scientist who probably would leave you a bit more enlightened on the basic facts you seem to have over looked.:slither::107years:

maroonlegions
Ha, I've long been a fan of the theory that "global warming" was more to do with nature than with me spraying on gallons of brut as a 14 year old and driving a big car.

The planet has heated and cooled throughout history at various stages. Politicians will denounce this theory cos if they didn't where would all their policies go? They'd have to admit their green policies weren't about saving the planet but more like they're in it to shaft each and every one of us for us much green as they can get their grubby paws on.

:bravo:

well said , CARBON TAX just another lie to fleece more money out of people , if the masses really knew that there is strong evidence that in fact its the SUN and its radiation and sun spot activity that is responsible for the earths cooling and heating up processes then there game of lies and stupidity would be up.

I remember watching a documentary about this school of thought when I was doing my pointless geography degree. It's a pretty plausible explanation but it's difficult to prove or disprove.

Personally I think what you are saying is pretty much true although I wouldn't be surprised if our current way of living was having an effect.

coppercrutch

well said , CARBON TAX just another lie to fleece more money out of people , if the masses really knew that there is strong evidence that in fact its the SUN and its radiation and sun spot activity that is responsible for the earths cooling and heating up processes then there game of lies and stupidity would be up.

No !!! You telling me the SUN is responsible for this !! Are you mad !!

The Sun ?? The same Sun that from about 150 million KM's away can burn my skin within 15 minutes !! You telling me that can be responsible for heating up the Earth !!?? You need help. :eek:

Surely it is the number of 4x4's we drive that does this. Idiot.

:)

Global Warming = SCAM = FACT. End of.

coppercrutch
Hmmm bit strange that we are going into an ice age when technically we are already in an ice age due to the greenland and arctic ice sheets ! The current ice age has already lasted about 2.58 million years !!

Nope. We are in an 'interglacial period'. The last ice age was about 18,000 years ago. Just because some ice in the extremities of the planet has lasted through the warm periods does not make them 'ice age' periods.

I know all this without the help of google too. ;)

As well as the Earth's position in orbit and distance from the sun, which changes quite often.

The Sun ?? .

Looks as though madvlad may be proved right. Scottish mafia killing more than just the game in Scotland, they are destroying the world! ;)

maroonlegions

The Sun ?? The same Sun that from about 150 million KM's away can burn my skin within 15 minutes !! You telling me that can be responsible for heating up the Earth !!?? :)You need help. :eek:

Surely it is the number of 4x4's we drive that does this.:107years: Idiot. :eek:

:rolleyes:

are you aware of the fact that there is indeed a lot of research done on this and that sun spot activity spews out masses of radiation(now remember we are talking about a massive nuke reactor, not home microwave) the sun is not the only factor that contributes to global warming and cooling, the osculation of the gulf breeze currents are big factors too and they over a period of a couple of years have FAILED TO OSCULATE FULLY, :eek:, YOU SEEM TO DISMISS, any form of evidence that does not agree with your opinion:eek: but iam sure when it is accepted fact that this is caused by sun spot activity then i assure you not i will know the full meaning of IDIOT.;)

maroonlegions

The Sun ?? The same Sun that from about 150 million KM's away can burn my skin within 15 minutes !! You telling me that can be responsible for heating up the Earth !!?? You need help. :eek:

Surely it is the number of 4x4's we drive that does this. Idiot.

Observatory predicts two degree drop in temperatures over next two decades as solar activity dwindles

Thursday, August 14, 2008

A top observatory that has been measuring sun cycles for over 200 years predicts that global temperatures will drop by two degrees over the next two decades as solar activity grinds to a halt and the planet drastically cools down, potentially heralding the onset of a new ice age.

While the mass media, Al Gore and politicized bodies like the IPCC scaremonger about the perils of global warming and demand the poor and middle class pay CO2 taxes, both hard scientific data and circumstantial evidence points to a clear cooling trend.

Following the end of the Sun?s most active period in over 11,000 years, the last 10 years have displayed a clear cooling trend as temperatures post-1998 leveled out and are now plummeting.

China recently experienced its coldest winter in 100 years while northeast America was hit by record snow levels and Britain suffered its coldest April in decades as late-blooming daffodils were pounded with hail and snow on an almost daily basis. The British summer has also left many yearning for global warming, with temperatures in June and July rarely struggling to get over 16 degrees and on one occasion even dropping as low as 9 degrees in the middle of the afternoon.

?Summer heat continues in short supply, continuing a trend that has dominated much of the 21st Century?s opening decade,? reports the Chicago Tribune. ?There have been only 162 days 90 degrees or warmer at Midway Airport over the period from 2000 to 2008. That?s by far the fewest 90-degree temperatures in the opening nine years of any decade on record here since 1930.?

The reason? Sunspot activity has dwindled. There have only been a handful of days in the past two months where any sunspot activity has been observed and over 400 spotless days have been recorded in the current solar cycle.

?The sun?s surface has been fairly blank for the last couple of years, and that has some worried that it may be entering another Maunder minimum, the sun?s 50-year abstinence from sunspots, which some scientists have linked to the Little Ice Age of the 17th century,? reports one science blog.

Long-time man-made global warming advocates NASA assure us that significant sunspot activity will return in 2012, but a recent a paper on recent solar trends by William Livingston and Matthew Penn of the National Solar Observatory in Tucson, predicts that sunspots will all but vanish after 2015.

Since the sun, and not carbon dioxide, is the principle driver of climate change, a dearth of sunspot activity would herald a repeat of the Maunder Minimum, the name given to the period roughly from 1645 to 1715, when sunspots became exceedingly rare and contributed to the onset of the Little Ice Age during which Europe and North America were hit by bitterly cold winters and the Thames river in London completely froze.

The spotless sun: Eerily quiet solar activity has many scientists concerned that a new ice age could be on the horizon.

Forecasts of a sharp cooling trend are backed by the UK?s Armagh Observatory, which has been observing solar activity for over 200 years.

The observatory notes that solar cycles 21 and 22, which were characterized by being short and intense in their activity, led to the natural global warming observed in the 80?s and 90?s.

?Cycle 23, which hasn?t finished yet, looks like it will be long (at least 12 to 13 years) and cycle 24, which has still to start, looks like it will be exceptionally weak,? writes one observatory scientist.

?Based on the past Armagh measurements, this suggests that over the next two decades, global temperatures may fall by about 2 degrees C ? that is, to a level lower than any we have seen in the last 100 years?.?Temperatures have already fallen by about 0.5 degrees C over the past 12 months and, if this is only the start of it, it would be a serious concern,? concludes David Watt.

Such predictions are of course of little interest to a global PR machine that butters its bread on attributing every weather event, be it droughts, floods, volcanoes or earthquakes, to man-made global warming.:rolleyes:

No matter that the last ten years have showed no global warming and the next 10 years are predicted to show no global warming, the fact that temperatures are clearly dropping in correlation to the lack of sunspot activity means nothing to people who are already committed to a quasi-religious belief system and governments that have resolved to squeeze the middle class citing fraudulent claims of eco-apocalypse as an excuse, while the real environmental crises - deforestation, GM madness, cell phone tower radiation, genetic splicing and chemtrails go almost completely ignored.:rolleyes:

The People's Chimp
:dribble:

na just interested iam afraid but do not let that get in the way of your intelligent and very thoughtful contribution to this topic but try asking that to the scientist who probably would leave you a bit more enlightened on the basic facts you seem to have over looked.:slither::107years:

Oh right, yes, sorry. I'll watch out for that next time.

Walter Payton
:rolleyes:

are you aware of the fact that there is indeed a lot of research done on this and that sun spot activity spews out masses of radiation(now remember we are talking about a massive nuke reactor, not home microwave) the sun is not the only factor that contributes to global warming and cooling, the osculation of the gulf breeze currents are big factors too and they over a period of a couple of years have FAILED TO OSCULATE FULLY, :eek:, YOU SEEM TO DISMISS, any form of evidence that does not agree with your opinion:eek: but iam sure when it is accepted fact that this is caused by sun spot activity then i assure you not i will know the full meaning of IDIOT.;)

I'd hate to accuse anybody of being an idiot or be the one to suggest that you're maybe a tad defensive here BUT... if you can see past Coppercrutch's icy sarcasm and razor sharp wit, you'll realise that he's actually agreeing with you. Glad to be of service. :rolleyes:

maroonlegions
I'd hate to accuse anybody of being an idiot or be the one to suggest that you're maybe a tad defensive here BUT... if you can see past Coppercrutch's icy sarcasm and razor sharp wit, you'll realise that he's actually agreeing with you. Glad to be of service. :rolleyes:

well , its me thats feck up and i do in fact now know the meaning of the word IDIOT :rolleyes:, its always a defensive frame of mind one can take in the fields on subjects that is not given a fair hearing in the sweep it under the carpet main stream media so i do thank you for informing me of my sudden loss of humor and will now humbly beg for coppercrutch"s forgiveness :eek:, SORRY COPPER MY GOOD MAN ,YOUR WIT CAN SOME TIMES BE OVER LOOK AND PEOPLES HEAD AT TIMES, INCLUDING MINE.:)

maroonlegions

Solar Storm Warning

+ Play Audio | + Download Audio | + Historia en Espa?ol | + Email to a friend | + Join mailing list

March 10, 2006: It's official: Solar minimum has arrived. Sunspots have all but vanished. Solar flares are nonexistent. The sun is utterly quiet.

Like the quiet before a storm.

This week researchers announced that a storm is coming--the most intense solar maximum in fifty years. The prediction comes from a team led by Mausumi Dikpati of the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR). "The next sunspot cycle will be 30% to 50% stronger than the previous one," she says. If correct, the years ahead could produce a burst of solar activity second only to the historic Solar Max of 1958.

see captionThat was a solar maximum. The Space Age was just beginning: Sputnik was launched in Oct. 1957 and Explorer 1 (the first US satellite) in Jan. 1958. In 1958 you couldn't tell that a solar storm was underway by looking at the bars on your cell phone; cell phones didn't exist. Even so, people knew something big was happening when Northern Lights were sighted three times in Mexico. A similar maximum now would be noticed by its effect on cell phones, GPS, weather satellites and many other modern technologies.

Right: Intense auroras over Fairbanks, Alaska, in 1958. [More]

Dikpati's prediction is unprecedented. In nearly-two centuries since the 11-year sunspot cycle was discovered, scientists have struggled to predict the size of future maxima?and failed. Solar maxima can be intense, as in 1958, or barely detectable, as in 1805, obeying no obvious pattern.

The key to the mystery, Dikpati realized years ago, is a conveyor belt on the sun.

We have something similar here on Earth?the Great Ocean Conveyor Belt, popularized in the sci-fi movie The Day After Tomorrow. It is a network of currents that carry water and heat from ocean to ocean--see the diagram below. In the movie, the Conveyor Belt stopped and threw the world's weather into chaos.

see caption

Above: Earth's "Great Ocean Conveyor Belt." [More]

The sun's conveyor belt is a current, not of water, but of electrically-conducting gas. It flows in a loop from the sun's equator to the poles and back again. Just as the Great Ocean Conveyor Belt controls weather on Earth, this solar conveyor belt controls weather on the sun. Specifically, it controls the sunspot cycle.

Solar physicist David Hathaway of the National Space Science & Technology Center (NSSTC) explains: "First, remember what sunspots are--tangled knots of magnetism generated by the sun's inner dynamo. A typical sunspot exists for just a few weeks. Then it decays, leaving behind a 'corpse' of weak magnetic fields."

Enter the conveyor belt.

see caption"The top of the conveyor belt skims the surface of the sun, sweeping up the magnetic fields of old, dead sunspots. The 'corpses' are dragged down at the poles to a depth of 200,000 km where the sun's magnetic dynamo can amplify them. Once the corpses (magnetic knots) are reincarnated (amplified), they become buoyant and float back to the surface." Presto?new sunspots!

Right: The sun's "great conveyor belt." [Larger image]

All this happens with massive slowness. "It takes about 40 years for the belt to complete one loop," says Hathaway. The speed varies "anywhere from a 50-year pace (slow) to a 30-year pace (fast)."

When the belt is turning "fast," it means that lots of magnetic fields are being swept up, and that a future sunspot cycle is going to be intense. This is a basis for forecasting: "The belt was turning fast in 1986-1996," says Hathaway. "Old magnetic fields swept up then should re-appear as big sunspots in 2010-2011."

Like most experts in the field, Hathaway has confidence in the conveyor belt model and agrees with Dikpati that the next solar maximum should be a doozy. But he disagrees with one point. Dikpati's forecast puts Solar Max at 2012. Hathaway believes it will arrive sooner, in 2010 or 2011.

"History shows that big sunspot cycles 'ramp up' faster than small ones," he says. "I expect to see the first sunspots of the next cycle appear in late 2006 or 2007?and Solar Max to be underway by 2010 or 2011."

Who's right? Time will tell. Either way, a storm is coming.

SEND THIS STORY TO A FRIEND

Author: Dr. Tony Phillips | Production Editor: Dr. Tony Phillips | Credit: Science@NASA

More Information

Solar Minimum Has Arrived -- (Science@NASA) In 2006, the sunspot cycle

THE ABOVE IS FROM NASA.:)

Professor.Arturo

The movie is not far removed from what 'could' be a posibility, if too much fresh water goes into the gulf stream, weather in the northern hemisphere would dramaticaly alter for the worse. Granted, it would take a major problem with the polar ice cap.

Dont brush this off too lightly. Unlikely in our lfetimes though, but it will happen the way things are going.

loveofthegame

So wait a minute... the worlds ****ed due to global warming... but wait another minute, the worlds climate is currently on a cooling trend...?!

:confused::confused::confused::dontgetit:

I pay little, if any, attention to any scientists when it comes to all this climate pish.

So wait a minute... the worlds ****ed due to global warming... but wait another minute, the worlds climate is currently on a cooling trend...?!

:confused::confused::confused::dontgetit:

I pay little, if any, attention to any scientists when it comes to all this climate pish.

Global Warming casuses ICe caps to melt causing tings like the north atlantic drift ? I think that is what it's called. Along with other things of similar orientation to be 'washed away' and as a result no warm breeze = ice age in britain.

coppercrutch
well , its me thats feck up and i do in fact now know the meaning of the word IDIOT :rolleyes:, its always a defensive frame of mind one can take in the fields on subjects that is not given a fair hearing in the sweep it under the carpet main stream media so i do thank you for informing me of my sudden loss of humor and will now humbly beg for coppercrutch"s forgiveness :eek:, SORRY COPPER MY GOOD MAN ,YOUR WIT CAN SOME TIMES BE OVER LOOK AND PEOPLES HEAD AT TIMES, INCLUDING MINE.:)

I have some ? :eek:

Woohoo !!

Anyway I do agree - whether the Earth is warming or cooling or whatever there is one thing that is certain - we can't do much about it !!

I have some ? :eek:

Woohoo !!

Anyway I do agree - whether the Earth is warming or cooling or whatever there is one thing that is certain - we can't do much about it !!

I actually agree with you that the planet, and our solar system, will do what the heck it wants and man doesn't influence as much as we like to think. But please stop the FACT nonsense. :cool_shades:

I think I'll stick to the view that the planet is still heating up and that while there are certainly other influences, emissions from human beings is certainly a major contributing factor.

That's the opinion of 99% of scientists, so for me it's the one that is most likely to be accurate.

See you behind the goals

University of Mexico expert says lack of solar activity to cause significant cooling that will last over half a century:eek:

Paul Joseph Watson

Prison Planet

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

As evidence builds of the earth entering a dramatic cooling trend, another scientist has gone public with his conviction that we are about to enter a new ice age, rendering warnings about global warming fraudulent and irrelevant.

Victor Manuel Velasco Herrera of the Institute of Geophysics at the University of Mexico states that ?In about ten years the Earth will enter a ?little ice age? which will last from 60 to 80 years and may be caused by the decrease in solar activity,? according to a report in the major Mexican newspaper Milenio Diario.

Herrera slammed the UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change?s (IPCC) stance on global warming as ?erroneous? because of their failure to factor in the impact of solar activity.

The models and forecasts of the IPCC ?is incorrect because only are based on mathematical models and presented results at scenarios that do not include, for example, solar activity,? said Herrera.

Herrera states that the earth is entering a natural phase of climate transition during which solar activity will diminish considerably, ?so that in two years or so, there will be a small ice age that lasts from 60 to 80 years.?

Herrera cited the growth in glaciers observed at the Andes, Perito Moreno, Logan, the highest mountain in Canada, and Franz-Josef Glacier, New Zealand.

A dramatic cooling trend is being observed across the planet even as people like Al Gore continue to claim that the threat of global warming mandates the poor and middle class be hit with CO2 taxes in order to prevent climate change.

Both anecdotal evidence and hard data indicates that the planet is in the beginning stages of a significant downturn in global temperatures.

As we reported last week, the Armagh observatory, which has been measuring sun cycles for over 200 years. predicts that global temperatures will drop by two degrees over the next 20 years as solar activity grinds to a halt and the planet drastically cools down, potentially heralding the onset of a new ice age.

?Based on the past Armagh measurements, this suggests that over the next two decades, global temperatures may fall by about 2 degrees C ? that is, to a level lower than any we have seen in the last 100 years?.?Temperatures have already fallen by about 0.5 degrees C over the past 12 months and, if this is only the start of it, it would be a serious concern,?.

wonder what the price of woolly hats, gloves and thermals will be.:eek:

More like a rain age as it hasn't stopped ****ing down for a fortnight !!

I think I'll stick to the view that the planet is still heating up and that while there are certainly other influences, emissions from human beings is certainly a major contributing factor.

That's the opinion of 99% of scientists, so for me it's the one that is most likely to be accurate.

It is certainly not the view of 99% of scientists and never has been. In FACT, and sorry to put that in caps, it is only the view of scientists who fit political opinion.

The emmisions from human beings are miniscule, if measurable at all.

I will like to add that I am actually a Green thinking person in the fact that I prefer to cycle and that as a country I think that Hydro power is the future for us.

True or not, global warming has been used as a rod for the backs of the working people. Prices are flying thru the roof and we are all being guilt tripped like mad.

Meanwhile not a single multi-national or corporate giant has been outed for the outrageous waste of resources that most (or all) of them partake in.

I gave up trying to cut down on waste a few months ago. 30 minute showers and currently saving up for a V12 car.

Most Friday nights I buy 20 gallons of petrol and burn it in my back garden.

I'm all for the ice caps melting, raising the water level and wiping out parts of the country. I live in a non-ground floor flat and it would benefit me 2 fold:

1. I have a junkie drug dealer living on the ground floor so he would hopefully die or move out.

2. I've always wanted a sea view but can't afford the price one of them would cost.

Archived