Berra Or Weir? Come on Burley

Captain Scarlett

Captain Scarlett

I fail to understand why George Burley started with a 38 year old in a friendly when he should be trying new blood i.e Berra. Anyone agree???:slither:

Yip. Even at worst bring him on at half time. How did Barr walk straight in at halftime when Berra's been waiting for the last 2/3 games? But its good to see the Hearts players in Scotland shirts on the up from the past few years!!

monkfish1979

Absolutely. Weir's well past his best. Putting Berra in the squad and not giving him a start over a guy about to turn 40 seems a very strange choice.

Its a fair point. I can only assume Burley is planning to start Weir and McManus in qualifying and wanted to give them game time together to solidify the partnership, which is fair enough (except Weir probably shouldn't be starting anything anymore).....

Its a fair point. I can only assume Burley is planning to start Weir and McManus in qualifying and wanted to give them game time together to solidify the partnership, which is fair enough (except Weir probably shouldn't be starting anything anymore).....

Inexperienced FB in Commons?

On Burley as Scotland boss, has Vlad yet to say: "He's killing this country!"

;)

I fail to understand why George Burley started with a 38 year old in a friendly when he should be trying new blood i.e Berra. Anyone agree???:slither:

Totally agree.

Given that Burley dropped Weir stating that he would only call on him in emergencies it a bit bizarre. Tonight wasn't an emergency and a perfect opportunity to give a future centre half some experience so it was therefore a very odd decision to play Weir.

Equally odd not to play Stewart from the start I thought. GB must know his 1st eleven and tonight was the chance before the qualifiers start to give some game experience to the fringe replacements like Stewart who may be needed throughout the campaign.

Never mind, we got a nil nil draw against top opposition so he's been proved right.

On Burley as Scotland boss, has Vlad yet to say: "He's killing this country!"

;)

Maybe he is - he's won bugger all as a manager in 17(?) years and I can't see that he is ever likely to. Over 12 games or so he got lucky with us.

Maybe he is - he's won bugger all as a manager in 17(?) years and I can't see that he is ever likely to. Over 12 games or so he got lucky with us.

agreed...some people are under the impression we would have won the league under burley yet seem to forget we were put out the scottish cup by a mediocre livingston team!!!

agreed...some people are under the impression we would have won the league under burley yet seem to forget we were put out the scottish cup by a mediocre livingston team!!!

Eh ??

We WON the Scottish cup with Burley's team !!!

He also fielded a 2nd string against Livi...

Back to the OP, I've no idea why he was called up either. Why was Berra 2nd choice to Caldwell, but as soon as Caldwell is injured, he's suddenly 2nd choice to Weir?

That aside, he surely already knows what Weir can do and he's seen that central defensive partnership a thousand times, so why waste 45 minutes on him.

Makes no sense.

loveofthegame

Was very strange to see that a 38 yr old has been was given a start when quite clearly struggling to be at that level anymore and certainly won't be in a year or 2.

cobbyshambles

especially confusing when weir wasn't even in the squad till an injury last week brought him in.kev thomson starting was a sick joke as well.

loveofthegame
especially confusing when weir wasn't even in the squad till an injury last week brought him in.kev thomson starting was a sick joke as well.

Seconded. The guy is so poor its unreal. So so so overrated.

i disagree with the general jist of things here, i do find it odd that weir wasn't in his original squad, yet he did start ahead of 2 very good, up and coming centre halves in berra and barr, however just because david weir is old, it does not make him a bad player, yes, he was better a few years ago, but he still starts for rangers, who are a good team.

on balance, i would have started barr or berra because like it has been said, this was an opportunity to bleed the youngsters and give them hampden game time, they have longer to run on their careers and they are likely to get better in the next few years, as the older players will deteriorate.

that commons looks a no bad player.

and i dont think kevin thomson is a bad player at all, very effective when starting attacks, he's even finished one or two in his time, literally one or two...i think two

I can see a 'berti' burley era ahead of us for this qualifying campaign, without the criticism as he is not German.

And to be honest with my feelings towards people like Gordon Smith being being in the SFA hotseat, and the SFA love for the OF I couldn't really care.

and i dont think kevin thomson is a bad player at all, very effective when starting attacks, he's even finished one or two in his time, literally one or two...i think two

I am glad that Burley has worked out who Thomson is. I told him in September 2005 that we should be signing Thomson from Hibs - and he had no idea who he was! That was after we had gubbed Hibs with Thomson playing too!

I don't think that Thomson gave the ball away once last night. We have a decent group of central midfielders in Ferguson, Fletcher, Thomson, Brown available now. But we are so dependent on Ferguson for creativity.

christhejambo

I agree with the OP and brought the same point up with some mates last night. Instead of blooding new players in our last friendly match before the WC Qualifiers next month, he sticks a f****** dinosaur in at CB. All that's going to happen now, is that if either Caldwell or McManus get injured or subbed during the Quals, were going to be putting a lot of weight on inexperienced shoulders in defence. :sad:

Archived