Inside/outside lane?

Gambo

On a dual carriageway / motorway , what do you call the left hand lane(uk roads) of the 2 lanes on your side of the road?

I call it the 'inside' lane. and i call the right handside (overtaking lane) the 'outside' lane.

Work collegue calls them the opposite.

What do you call them?

On a dual carriageway / motorway , what do you call the left hand lane(uk roads) of the 2 lanes on your side of the road?

I call it the 'inside' lane. and i call the right handside (overtaking lane) the 'outside' lane.

What do you call them?

Inside/Outside Nearside/Offside Slow/Fast Undertaking/Overtaking ;)

I call it the inside lane too. Outside lane is for overtaking and is therefore on the left.

I call it the inside lane too. Outside lane is for overtaking and is therefore on the left.

You are not supposed to overtake on the left....meant to do it on the right....! Overtaking on the left is called undertaking.

The Mighty Thor

nearside/offside

Technically on a dual carriageway the offside lane is for overtaking only.

I wish someone would explain that to the users of the A720 and M8!

You are not supposed to overtake on the left....meant to do it on the right....! Overtaking on the left is called undertaking.

whatever ;)

thats actually what i meant....!

Christ, a women correcting a man about a driving related matter!

I P Knightley
nearside/offside

Technically on a dual carriageway the offside lane is for overtaking only.

I wish someone would explain that to the users of the A720 and M8!

It's the same for motorways and dual carriageways across the land.

These muppets join the road and immediately have to get off the inside lane*. They are the people that the police cameras should be looking out for; they cause congestion by not taking their rightful place beside the hard shoulder/kerb and then, should you dare to go past them in the emptiest and safest lane into which they have no intention of moving, you'll get the evils/loose salute/frantic light-flashing in your rear view mirror. If they'd just pop into the left-hand lane when there's nothing there for 50 yards, traffic would move more freely, there'd be fewer accidents, fuel consumption would be lower and the world would be a happier place. This is a mathematical FACT!

Glad I got that off my chest - did a lot of motorway driving at the weekend and was wound up!

*correctly identified as inside/outside for left/right in the UK. "Outside" because you go outside the car that you are overtaking, leaving it on the inside of the outside car. ;) I prefer to use "inside" and "overtaking".

whatever ;)

thats actually what i meant....!

Christ, a women correcting a man about a driving related matter!

I'm not going to get into that one...but I know some rubbish male and female drivers and I think it just counts on the person not the gender.

Forever Maroon
the overtaking lane is the outside lane.

agree with the above.......

also used as a sh@gging term..... i.e. I was in the outside lane last night

The Mighty Thor

These muppets join the road and immediately have to get off the inside lane*. They are the people that the police cameras should be looking out for; they cause congestion by not taking their rightful place beside the hard shoulder/kerb and then, should you dare to go past them in the emptiest and safest lane into which they have no intention of moving, you'll get the evils/loose salute/frantic light-flashing in your rear view mirror. If they'd just pop into the left-hand lane when there's nothing there for 50 yards, traffic would move more freely, there'd be fewer accidents, fuel consumption would be lower and the world would be a happier place. This is a mathematical FACT!

Glad I got that off my chest - did a lot of motorway driving at the weekend and was wound up!

*correctly identified as inside/outside for left/right in the UK. "Outside" because you go outside the car that you are overtaking, leaving it on the inside of the outside car. ;) I prefer to use "inside" and "overtaking".

When in the car a personal pleasure of mine partcularly in the morning is to sit in the inside lane of the A720 once joining it at Lasswade or Straiton and sit level with the rear bumper of a car in the offside (overtaking) lane and watch them panic when they realise they have to be on the inside to take their exit junction usually Sighthill or M8. It's great fun (although probably not very safe considering you are in their mirror blindspot)

as most driving that road in the morning are not awake or not paying attention probably due to the fact that they drive the same journey 5 days a week.

On the bike i just bully the overtaking lane clear or undertake.

Drive responsibly kids!! :rolleyes:

I P Knightley
When in the car a personal pleasure of mine partcularly in the morning is to sit in the inside lane of the A720 once joining it at Lasswade or Straiton and sit level with the rear bumper of a car in the offside (overtaking) lane and watch them panic when they realise they have to be on the inside to take their exit junction usually Sighthill or M8. It's great fun (although probably not very safe considering you are in their mirror blindspot)

as most driving that road in the morning are not awake or not paying attention probably due to the fact that they drive the same journey 5 days a week.

On the bike i just bully the overtaking lane clear or undertake.

Drive responsibly kids!! :rolleyes:

Good sport that one! I prefer getting in their line of vision rather than sit in the blind spot - slightly safer! Second guessing whether they'll accelerate or slow down keeps long journies interesting. Then having a look at how big a tailback you've got behind you; which is clearly not your fault as you're sitting sensibly in the inside lane.

The Mighty Thor
Good sport that one! I prefer getting in their line of vision rather than sit in the blind spot - slightly safer! Second guessing whether they'll accelerate or slow down keeps long journies interesting. Then having a look at how big a tailback you've got behind you; which is clearly not your fault as you're sitting sensibly in the inside lane.

I like it when they accelerate, then you do too. Very childish but really helps lighten up the journey. I have in the past actually made a few folk miss their junction. Now that's top darts. To quote Phil Daniels 'It gives me a sense of enormous well-being, and then Im happy for the rest of the day'

To be fair, in the morning you get round the bypass in roughly the same time whether you sit in the inside or outside lane.

The one i never get my head around is folk rushing to get to work! You know the type that sit on your back bumper with white knuckles on the steering wheel. What's the hurry? You're going to work FFS.

I've spent last week in Holland and found it refreshing that nobody hogged lanes on the motorways.

This meant however lots and lots of lane switching and no concept of stopping distances but at least there were never any long ques held up behind folk who have no interest in moving over.

I tried to back off from the car in front during torrential rain only for 3 cars to decide that the gap was well suited for them. In the end you know that whether you can stop or not the guy behing you wont and will put you into the car in front anyway. Quite quickly I found myself in the 'if you can't beat them join them' mindset.

They do though have a rule that when indicated lorries are not allowed to overtake. This needs to get adopted on the M8 between Newbridge and Livi. I'm sick fed up of lorries trying to overtake going up that hill.

Spot on mate but the barstewards that really get my goat are the ones who keep coming up the inside when everyone else has moved out to overtake atractor or accident.The feckers get mightily annoyed if you dont let them out.Was on the M8 going west this morning and there was a boy on the outside doing no more than 45 with no intention of moving inside.AAAAARRRRGGHHHHHHH

What do you call them?

I'm with you Gambo

Spot on mate but the barstewards that really get my goat are the ones who keep coming up the inside when everyone else has moved out to overtake atractor or accident.The feckers get mightily annoyed if you dont let them out.Was on the M8 going west this morning and there was a boy on the outside doing no more than 45 with no intention of moving inside.AAAAARRRRGGHHHHHHH

In that case if they don't move over then I think you are perfectly entitled to undertake, I know that it is illegal, but if they want to sit at 45 m.p.h let them do it in the left hand/inside lane.

I P Knightley
In that case if they don't move over then I think you are perfectly entitled to undertake, I know that it is illegal, but if they want to sit at 45 m.p.h let them do it in the left hand/inside lane.

I'm sure that the rules are that you should stay in the innermost lane until there's something ahead of you that you need to overtake. If that's the case, then that's what I do all the time, Officer.

What's that you're saying? A car in the outer lane? Oh, my - well at least I was sticking to the rules. I hope you're going to book him Officer.

Doctor FinnBarr

The left hand lane is for old people and women and should be known as the "Shoppers lane". The right hand lane is for fast people (and I don't mean 70) and should technically be known as the "Get out of my way lane"!

Hope this clears matters up.

;)

I always called the right hand lane the inside lane because I consider it to be the inside of the road I guess :S

The most annoying thing on the dual carriageway is when you're coming up fast in the overtaking lane and someone in front of you in the left hand lane who is going 61mph pulls out right in front of you to over-take the person in front of them who is doing 60mph, when they can see you are going much (much, much, much) faster and could just wait about 0.5 seconds for you to pass them THEN do it!!

Doctor FinnBarr
I always called the right hand lane the inside lane because I consider it to be the inside of the road I guess :S

The most annoying thing on the dual carriageway is when you're coming up fast in the overtaking lane and someone in front of you in the left hand lane who is going 61mph pulls out right in front of you to over-take the person in front of them who is doing 60mph, when they can see you are going much (much, much, much) faster and could just wait about 0.5 seconds for you to pass them THEN do it!!

Sssh lads, theres women here now, talking about non-existant G-Spots before you know it!

:eek:

Archived