Jim Cruickshank , Why no Testimonial ?

Csaba's Broon Shoes

Csaba's Broon Shoes

With the hot topics on Jambos Kickback these days regarding goal-keepers

at Tynecastle , why was it that our best ever servant between the posts

in the modern era who served 17 (seventeen) years at the club never got a

testimonial game ?

As he played just before my time , what kind of keeper was he and how does

he compare with the Gordon's , Henry Smith's and Niemi's who have picked up the gloves

since ? I bet Cruicky never needed a fancy pair of Sondico's , just a gob on

the hands and a stick of wrigleys chewing gum .

Any thought on a true Gorgie Cult Hero .

Did he ever swing on the bar ?

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/players/cruickshankjim.html

Hearts Heritage

Been debated loads of times the fans would love it but JC never wants to come back to Tynecastle after the way he was treated at the end of his career at Hearts.

1976-7705.jpg

110 Pics

Csaba's Broon Shoes
Been debated loads of times the fans would love it but JC never wants to come back to Tynecastle after the way he was treated at the end of his career at Hearts.

1976-7705.jpg

110 Pics

Superb photo's

It seems the way Hearts treat players never changes

The Real Maroonblood
Superb photo's

I think that Craig Levein was treated very well as a player when he had all these injuries.

Guest Dipped Flake

Jim did have a testimonial of sorts. There was a fans do for him at the old Empire theatre (now the festival theatre). Still remember the noise in there with the fans singing. Can't remember what all went on but sure there was some sort of quiz, with the late great Bob Crampsey hosting it.

I am sure others will have much better memories than mine about this. Unfortunately, my last sight of the great goalie was him sweeping the floor in the Tynecastle Arms, nearly broke my heart to see him doing this.

IMO the greatest goalie to ever pull on the Hearts jersey...

Colonel Kurtz

Cruickshank gave the best display I have ever seen by a Hearts GK and was applauded of the park by the Hibs players.He saved a Joe davis penalty and TWO rebounds.

Unfortunately he liked a punt and lost a lot.

My mate has his Scotland jersey

Colonel Kurtz
Jim did have a testimonial of sorts. There was a fans do for him at the old Empire theatre (now the festival theatre). Still remember the noise in there with the fans singing. Can't remember what all went on but sure there was some sort of quiz, with the late great Bob Crampsey hosting it.

I am sure others will have much better memories than mine about this. Unfortunately, my last sight of the great goalie was him sweeping the floor in the Tynecastle Arms, nearly broke my heart to see him doing this.

IMO the greatest goalie to ever pull on the Hearts jersey...

Was a bit drunk,but thought I was in The Odeon,but its all a bit vague after leaving the Rat Trap

Jim Cruickshank was the best ever goalkeeper to play for Hearts, I was at the event in the Odeon not the empire a great night.

With the hot topics on Jambos Kickback these days regarding goal-keepers

at Tynecastle , why was it that our best ever servant between the posts

in the modern era who served 17 (seventeen) years at the club never got a

testimonial game ?

As he played just before my time , what kind of keeper was he and how does

he compare with the Gordon's , Henry Smith's and Niemi's who have picked up the gloves

since ? I bet Cruicky never needed a fancy pair of Sondico's , just a gob on

the hands and a stick of wrigleys chewing gum .

Any thought on a true Gorgie Cult Hero .

Did he ever swing on the bar ?

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/players/cruickshankjim.html

Cruicksahanks was quite small by modern day standards but very talented and one of Hearts best ever by all accounts. My old man tells me that a lot of goalies then were quite small. Ronnie Simpson and Willie Wilson were also very small and would have struggled in todays game.

I was a big fan of Cruikie as a nipper (and was at school with his daughter), but I can't remember clearly what happened at the end of his HMFC career. i remember it was messy but that photo - cops??? - has me wondering what the hell happened. Anyone remind me??

Other teams have had testimonials for players well after they retired.

I am too young to have seen Cruikshank play, but if the club - who are clearly not the people who he had the grievance with at the time he left - were to support a testimonial surely the fans who did see him would turn out to salute him?

Cruickie my boyhood hero, he was the "best" IMO those responsible (if still alive) for his treatment should hang their heads in shame, i have said it many times on this forum, we should try to move heaven & earth to get him back to Tynie, but others have tried and failed and i think it is now a lost cause sadly.

Hearts Heritage
Cruickie my boyhood hero, he was the "best" IMO those responsible (if still alive) for his treatment should hang their heads in shame, i have said it many times on this forum, we should try to move heaven & earth to get him back to Tynie, but others have tried and failed and i think it is now a lost cause sadly.

It's been said that if one of his grand-children wanted to go he would go along.

For younger fans he is held is as much regard by our generation as 'Robbo' is.

Guest Dipped Flake
Jim Cruickshank was the best ever goalkeeper to play for Hearts, I was at the event in the Odeon not the empire a great night.

Told you people would have better memories than me. You are correct, it was at the Odeon....

ernie winchester
Cruickshank gave the best display I have ever seen by a Hearts GK and was applauded of the park by the Hibs players.He saved a Joe davis penalty and TWO rebounds.

Unfortunately he liked a punt and lost a lot.

My mate has his Scotland jersey

Remember his penalty save at Tynie against Celtic from Tommy Gemmell? Big Tam never missed penalties... 'cept to Cruikie. If I remember right, he saved one of big Tam's penalties at Parkhead too?

It's been said that if one of his grand-children wanted to go he would go along.

For younger fans he is held is as much regard by our generation as 'Robbo' is.

Well thats a step in the right direction here's hoping this will happen if it does i know i will have a tear in my eye that day, we live in hope!

ernie winchester
I was a big fan of Cruikie as a nipper (and was at school with his daughter), but I can't remember clearly what happened at the end of his HMFC career. i remember it was messy but that photo - cops??? - has me wondering what the hell happened. Anyone remind me??

It was all rumours mate and not worth bringing back up as nothing was ever proved either way. It seems there were confidentiality clauses even in those days!

I ran into him several times at his work in Wester Hailes and he's doing fine, although the last time was around 5-6 years ago.

A REAL Hearts legend!

It was all rumours mate and not worth bringing back up as nothing was ever proved either way. It seems there were confidentiality clauses even in those days!

I ran into him several times at his work in Wester Hailes and he's doing fine, although the last time was around 5-6 years ago.

A REAL Hearts legend!

Cheers Ernie, I'll ask my faither ... if Cruikie still lives in Currie my dad might have seen him around ...

Cruikie deserves a Testimonial!

Cheers Ernie, I'll ask my faither ... if Cruikie still lives in Currie my dad might have seen him around ...

Sorry to go on about this but normally i do not do testimonials, friendlies etc BUT! i would walk to Tynie (i live in East Kilbride) if need be, to see the great man's testimonial as people have said he IS A TRUE HEARTS LEGEND !

ernie winchester

AGREED!

One of my earliest memories from a game was that penalty save from Tam Gemmell. We were making our way towards the exit at the school end - jam packed with around 40,000 or something - and right behind the goals. I think we were either winning by the odd goal or drawing, cue the ref gives a very soft penalty to Celtic (not for the last time!) Everyone raging with the decision, up steps big Tam who "never misses" and the save was sublime! Cruikie did this kind of thing regularly, but that particular save has always stuck in my mind as the best I've ever seen, although maybe it gets better as I get older! :)

Surely somebody else remembers that?

Sorry to go on about this but normally i do not do testimonials, friendlies etc BUT! i would walk to Tynie (i live in East Kilbride) if need be, to see the great man's testimonial as people have said he IS A TRUE HEARTS LEGEND !

i agree! I go to friendlies but have missed the last couple of T matches. One for Cruikie would be a real draw though - he's still the best goalie I've ever seen in a Hearts jersey (and, yes, he was better than Niemi and Gordon in their time in Gorgie). I'd be there.

Best Hearts keeper ever. Saw him save a penalty in my first Hearts game against airdrie. Also remember the famous triple penalty save against Hibs and his save from Tommy Gemmell who, a s a previous poster said, never missed apart from that one. He also saved us from some terrible hammerings on many occasions. Would have had dozens of caps if he'd played for either of the Ugly sisters

i agree! I go to friendlies but have missed the last couple of T matches. One for Cruikie would be a real draw though - he's still the best goalie I've ever seen in a Hearts jersey (and, yes, he was better than Niemi and Gordon in their time in Gorgie). I'd be there.

Spot on mate !

ernie winchester
Best Hearts keeper ever. Saw him save a penalty in my first Hearts game against airdrie. Also remember the famous triple penalty save against Hibs and his save from Tommy Gemmell who, a s a previous poster said, never missed apart from that one. He also saved us from some terrible hammerings on many occasions. Would have had dozens of caps if he'd played for either of the Ugly sisters

That's a fact, and the same could be said of Donald Ford and Alan Anderson from the same team.

TyphoonJambo

I remember he always had a bit of banter with the kids behind him in the school end. I scored a penalty when he came to Craigroyston school. I think he never tried!! I would walk bare arsed ovr broken glass from Lincoln to see that testimonial. Imagine the tears and applause if Anderson, Busby Ford and Cruickshank walked onto the pitch

Colonel Kurtz
I remember he always had a bit of banter with the kids behind him in the school end. I scored a penalty when he came to Craigroyston school. I think he never tried!! I would walk bare arsed ovr broken glass from Lincoln to see that testimonial. Imagine the tears and applause if Anderson, Busby Ford and Cruickshank walked onto the pitch

Bare footed surely,unless you particularly wanted to travel bare arsed

Colonel Kurtz
AGREED!

One of my earliest memories from a game was that penalty save from Tam Gemmell. We were making our way towards the exit at the school end - jam packed with around 40,000 or something - and right behind the goals. I think we were either winning by the odd goal or drawing, cue the ref gives a very soft penalty to Celtic (not for the last time!) Everyone raging with the decision, up steps big Tam who "never misses" and the save was sublime! Cruikie did this kind of thing regularly, but that particular save has always stuck in my mind as the best I've ever seen, although maybe it gets better as I get older! :)

Surely somebody else remembers that?

Aye but we were alrady getting beat 2 0 I recall

Billy the Jambo

He is the best keeper i have seen in a Hearts jersey he was my boyhood hero so much so that when my mates and me played football i always went in goal and pretended to be Cruicky unfortunately i wasn,t good enough to play for Hearts the school team goalie was as far as my football career went.He deserves a testimonial alright and if he ever gets one i hope Tynecastle is sold out .The man is a true Hearts legend

ernie winchester

As I said, couldn't remember the score but I'm sure the goal meant losing or drawing. I may be wrong, but the penalty save was worth seeing, regardless of the score.

Teuchterjambo

In his era "Simply the Best" even then the GFA were doing their dirty deeds - a paltry number of caps for a keeper who was without doubt Scotland's finest for a decade.

The rights and wrongs of what went on at the time are now irrelevant and he should come back.

He would get a fantastic reception and those of you too young to have seen him play would only need to look all around Tynecastle and see grown men with tears streaming down their face to know and understand they were in the presence of a true legend.

Hearts tried very hard to have him attend the Hall of fame do last year and he was nearly there. A car was arranged from what I was told.

I still have a pair of his gloves somewhere as I trained (and played) there back in 70-71.

The club should try even harder this year to have a testimonial for him. Not a do in the picture house, but a match AT Tynecastle.

Jim was certainly treated badly by those in charge of the club after a lengthy service. Those people are now long gone and it's time we did our bit.

Bring back Cruickie campaign Let's ge the party started!

Southside Jambo

Undoubtedly, the best goalie ever to pull on the Hearts jersey. The club should hold a testimonial for him

cruickie was one of my hero's and there's many fans who would stand behind the goals where he was just to watch one of the best keepers ever to grace our team. i've got an unbelievable picture of him saving a shot from alex willoughby, in a scottish cup game at ibrox in 1968. alex ferguson has his arm in the air about to claim a goal with arthur mann and jim irvine looking on in dis-belief.

wish i could get it posted, if only i knew how.

cruickie should have a testimoinial against locomotiv leipzig with the rest of the team that great night being invited.

ernie winchester
Did he not also save a penalty in a defeat at Tynecastle

I'm pretty sure he did save another penalty from Tam Gemmell but can't quite remember the game, so you may well be right. The reason I remember this is that it was always said that Big Tam never missed from the spot.

Colonel Kurtz
I'm pretty sure he did save another penalty from Tam Gemmell but can't quite remember the game, so you may well be right. The reason I remember this is that it was always said that Big Tam never missed from the spot.

i recall a penalty save and a retake ordered by the ref Padraig Smith the grandfather of Eddie (Father Ted) smith

A testimonial match for Cruickie would certainly be something that would get some fans back on side - are you listening Vlad?

My one request is that the "rounded" net supports be brought back for the game. They were always something unique to Tynie when I was a kid. With Cruickie in between the posts!

Think I've told this story before about Tam Gemmell.

Can't remember if it was a penalty or a free-kick against Cruikie, just outside the box, kicking toward the school end. I was sitting in the main stand when he blootered the ball over the top of the school. A voice from behind shouted "Yi couldnae score between the Forth brigs".

ernie winchester
i recall a penalty save and a retake ordered by the ref Padraig Smith the grandfather of Eddie (Father Ted) smith

That definitely rings a bell too somewhere in my memory. And Cruckie saved the re-take, if I remember correctly?

ernie winchester
Think I've told this story before about Tam Gemmell.

Can't remember if it was a penalty or a free-kick against Cruikie, just outside the box, kicking toward the school end. I was sitting in the main stand when he blootered the ball over the top of the school. A voice from behind shouted "Yi couldnae score between the Forth brigs".

:) ...and the ball probably ended up somewhere in the Firth of Forth with the power of Big Tam's shots!

A testimonial match for Cruickie would certainly be something that would get some fans back on side - are you listening Vlad?

My one request is that the "rounded" net supports be brought back for the game. They were always something unique to Tynie when I was a kid. With Cruickie in between the posts!

cruickie was like a cat walking form one post to another. he never stopped until the ball was heading in his direction.

Francis Albert
Superb photo's

Yes, sometimes Vlad doesn't get the credit he perhaps deserves for maintaining Hearts traditions. Mackay, Bauld, Conn, Walker, Cruickie ... etc.

I'd have Cruickshank ahead of any goalie I've seen play for Hearts.

boy_in_maroon

altho' Tynie is the home ground, I think the demand for tickets for such a game for "Jim Cruikshank" may overspill to Murryfield??

as i have mentioned on here many times a great memory of Jim when I used to walk the track at Tyncastle with those silly white tray's, Jim shouting "son son take these round for me" his traksuit bottoms to give to John Haggert.

Great Legend

ernie winchester
altho' Tynie is the home ground, I think the demand for tickets for such a game for "Jim Cruikshank" may overspill to Murryfield??

as i have mentioned on here many times a great memory of Jim when I used to walk the track at Tyncastle with those silly white tray's, Jim shouting "son son take these round for me" his traksuit bottoms to give to John Haggert.

Great Legend

You were one of the "tray guys"? LEGEND! :pray:

joondalupjambo

Seem to recall a game against Sellcik where he saved a downward header that was goal bound for sure. It was an absolute identical type header that Pele had saved by Banks. A save that no goalie is supposed to make but Cruickie got to it. I think we maybe got a draw that day and it could have been the same game that is being talked about in this thread.

The reason I remember this is because I was too young to go to the games on my own but sneaked along anyway and sat on the wall near the tunnel and the dugouts. Of course needless to say my photo was plastered all over the back of the Scotsman on the Monday morning and I got a slap or two from my Dad!!

Cruickshank was an absolute legend and maybe should have stopped playing when he left Hearts instead of going to Dumbarton. It would have been a better end to his career.

scott herbertson
cruickie was like a cat walking form one post to another. he never stopped until the ball was heading in his direction.

#

Apart from the Gemmell save in the 0-0 game (I seem to remember we were down to 10 men at the time) my other memory is of a long distance shot where cruikie quite deliberately 'sauntered' round the opposite post from where the ball was headed leaving the goal unattended as the aball glanced off the outside of the post. Only Cruikie in the ground had judged it wasn't going in the goals.

Absolute legend!

How are testimonials arranged, is it something the club takes upon itself or is there a formal process where someone (or supporters group) approaches the club and requests one?

Archived