Tom Waits

Spitonastranger

Spitonastranger

I have ben listening to a NPR podcast of Waits which is excellent, can any KBers give a guide to which of Waits albums to start with:)thanks in advance

I P Knightley
I have ben listening to a NPR podcast of Waits which is excellent, can any KBers give a guide to which of Waits albums to start with:)thanks in advance

There's a couple of "Best of" albums that will get you going. One is called "The Asylum Years" and another is "Beautiful Maladies." Today, I prefer Asylum Years but next week, it could be different!!

His first studio album is fantastic: "Closing Time". The depth of it, when you consider that this is a 20/21-year old, is astounding.

Most people will talk about the big change of style between One from the Heart and Swordfishtrombones, so either of the compilations mentioned will do the job. Personally, I say grab any album. There is good stuff everywhere, and you'll get so much joy working through them in any order. Personal fav. Small Change.

Is that the Atlanta concert? It's brilliant. If you like that, you 'd probably get on quite well with his more recent stuff. Mule Variations is a really strong album. I agree with the recommendations given by posters above for the compilations, and also think Small Change is the best of his early albums. Swordfishtrombones and Raindogs from the 1980s are both outstanding.

Personally, I say grab any album.

That's a bit risky, he may end up with the Black Rider:eek:

I think either Swordfishtrombones or Rain Dogs would be a good start.

Archived