Chris Hoy

andy1874hmfc

Should Chris Hoy get a knighthood?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Should Chris Hoy get a knighthood?

• Yes
    • no

Since he is Scotland's greatest ever Olympian I think he is due one.

Why? He has got his gongs already for winning his event.

I P Knightley
Not until he's retired, IMO.

Consistency with Dame Kelly Holmes? I don't think she had to retire before getting hers.

Definitely yes and straight away. If there were any justice he'd be in the top 3 or 4 for Sports Personality of the year (which will probably go to the wee tax-dodger with the fast car:().

Consistency with Dame Kelly Holmes? I don't think she had to retire before getting hers.

Definitely yes and straight away. If there were any justice he'd be in the top 3 or 4 for Sports Personality of the year (which will probably go to the wee tax-dodger with the fast car:().

Just seems a bit daft giving someone such an illustrious title when their careers are still ongoing; a knighthood or whatever should be a fitting conclusion to a career.

I've nothing to back this up with, it's just my opinion.

I don't agree with Knighthoods but considering some of the poeple who have been 'honoured' with them then hell he deserves one!

what a fantastic achievement

Is he a Jambo?

blondejamtart
I don't agree with Knighthoods but considering some of the poeple who have been 'honoured' with them then hell he deserves one!

Is he a Jambo?

I pretty much agree with you - not a fan of the honours system, but hell yeah, if we're going to hand out these things then Chris Hoy is as deserving of recognition as any one. And the fact that, yes, he is a Jambo, makes it all the sweeter....how many Hibbies have won four Olympic gold medals? :rolleyes:

I P Knightley
Just seems a bit daft giving someone such an illustrious title when their careers are still ongoing; a knighthood or whatever should be a fitting conclusion to a career.

I've nothing to back this up with, it's just my opinion.

Actually, I agree with you. He could be back at the next Olympics and get another handful of medals and where would they go with it then?

I could be wrong about Kelly Holmes - maybe we knew she was going to retire after those games.

It would get my goat, though, if there was inconsistency between her achievements, Steve Redgrave's and now Chris Hoy's.

the voice from above
Actually, I agree with you. He could be back at the next Olympics and get another handful of medals and where would they go with it then?

I could be wrong about Kelly Holmes - maybe we knew she was going to retire after those games.

It would get my goat, though, if there was inconsistency between her achievements, Steve Redgrave's and now Chris Hoy's.

When Sir Christopher Hoy of Tynecastle wins another hat-trick at London 2012 we'll just have to make him King!

Why? Because he can ride a bike???

Seriously, there are FAR MORE deserving people than Sportsmen and Women, who should be recognised first...SURELY!!!They seem to hand these things out like parking tickets now.

Redgrave, Pinsent, Kelly Holmes (Okay, Dame) FFS gies peace...:confused:

blondejamtart

Seriously, there are FAR MORE deserving people than Sportsmen and Women, who should be recognised first...SURELY!!!They seem to hand these things out like parking tickets now.

For what it's worth, I agree with you to an extent. Yes, there are many more people out there worthy of recognition, but given that those you've mentioned have already been honoured for their sporting achievements, why shouldn't Chris Hoy be recognised in a similar manner too?

andy1874hmfc

Ok if it's so easy you go out and win four Olympic gold medals :eek:

Ok if it's so easy you go out and win four Olympic gold medals :eek:

Look mate, I'm not saying it's easy...What I'm saying is, IF someone dedicates their life to Cycling, Rowing or any other sport, Then Yes, they SHOULD win things, I wasn't much good at most sports so done it for enjoyment, I work for a living, they Cycle, Row, Run etc... Why does that entitle them to a Knighthood????

I worked with a guy who could hardly read or write, he was 67 when he retired and was by FAR the best and Hardest working Kitchen porter I have ever seen...Knighthood in the post Jimmy!! :rolleyes:

As I've said, Knighthood/Damehood??? for Sportsmen/Women...Gies Peace!!

Is he a Jambo?

FFS, I've agreed with you on Europe and now the honours scheme.

A republic is the way (A Scottish Republic, English Republic, Welsh Republic and...well the Irish already have one...kind of.....:eek:)

Harry Palmer

Chris Hoy is the first Briton to win 3 Golds at a single Olympics for 100 years, if you saw the emotion he displayed for the National Anthem when receiving his 3rd Gold then you cannot vote against him deserving a knighthood.

Yes, I thought that this would be his last Olympics but someone said he was looking to bow out at Glasgow2014, however he said that Kenny would be the next champion...

That aside, I will still say.. Arise, Sir Chris! He is Awesome. FACT!:mj_zivili: (APOLOGIES).

Hopefully Edinburgh District Council will do him justice and build a facility for future cyclists in the East of Scotland.

Yes to Sir. But more importantly he must be Sports Personality of the Year. But will it go to a Scotsman? Doubt it. It will end up going to that very ugly swimmer or that knob Hamilton.

Yeah, it seems like their hands are tied by manners and past awards really.

There's no doubt he's deserving of it, but these things should definitely be given at the end of careers.

Lord Hoy I think is more apt, Seb Coe made a lord won 2 golds in two Olympics that both were badly effected by a boycott

coppercrutch

Wait till he retires. Even then I am not sure about these awards being given to sportsmen etc... Think there are more deserving people out there. But that is another debate.

However what he has done has been brilliant and he has done Scotland and Great Britain proud.

If others get Knighthoods for this type of thing then why not. But at least wait till he stops doing it !!

Forres Jambo

The only person with more medals is Sir Steve Redgrave. Then it Chris Hoy. Then its Sir Matthew Pincent. So what do you reckon he'll get?

Is he a Jambo?

I agree and to be fair it doesn't matter if he's a jambo or not. If that old female dog Thatcher can get one for trying to destroy Scotland then this bloke should get one for "feelgood factor" he brings to Scotland.

See I knew you were on the wind up on that other thread

Archived